+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Not Doing Santa?

Interested to know if anyone doesn't do Santa? How do you go about it? Why?

DS is old enough to understand Santa this year, but I'm not 100% sure whether I want to do it or not...

We're not religious at all, so for us xmas is just about spending time with family, and giving small gifts as tokens of appreciation/love. I love xmas and get excited about decorating, putting up the tree, picking out the perfect gift for each person, and getting to spend quality time with my loved ones. But something about Santa just doesn't sit right with me...

I guess the things I don't like are:
    - I don't feel comfortable with lying to DS.
    - I don't like that with Santa the focus is all on receiving gifts. I don't want xmas to be about that for us.
    - I don't like the whole 'naughty & nice' list thing. I don't want to threaten/bribe my child to behave.

(*please note - I by no means at all judge others who do Santa or who use the 'naughty & nice' list. Whatever works for your family is great!)

Buttttt... I loved having Santa as a kid! It really made xmas feel magical...am I denying DS that?? Also, all of his cousins/friends will be doing Santa, so I don't want him to slip up and tell them that he doesn't believe and ruin it for them!

Any advice, thoughts, tips, ideas?? I can't make up my mind...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We do Santa and ds (6yrs) LOVES it. It really does make it magical. By no means is our christmas all about gifts though.. It's about family. We make sure we give gifts as well (kmart wishing tree, charities, etc.) at Christmas and he puts a lot of effort in to choosing those.

I also don't feel guilty about lying about it (and never have!). I was not once ever mad at my parents for lying to me about Santa, the Easter bunny, the tooth fairy, etc. I was actually very grateful for the effort they went to to make those times of the year special for my siblings and I.

to each their own, but I really believe that Santa is a special type of magic for little kids that is so short lived in the scheme of a lifetime. It makes the holiday season even more exciting.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

Californication  (01-11-2015),Elijahs Mum  (01-11-2015),elkaroo  (01-11-2015),Frankenmum  (01-11-2015),Gracie's Mum  (02-11-2015),MonkeyMumma  (01-11-2015),MrsSS  (01-11-2015),Ngaiz  (01-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Not Doing Santa?

We do Santa. Before kids I thought j wouldn't. DH and I are both atheists and don't really go for make believe.

But.....

Kids changed that. I watched my kids grow to love the mystery of Christmas. Their wide eyed enthusiasm for everything magical I guess made me push my sceptical nature to the back and just embrace it for that it is.

As they get older and go to school they work so hard all year. My kids are at a strict private school very much focused on hard work, giving back to the community (every child has a certain number of community service hours they have to do) and doing homework. They have lots of extra curricular activities and are basically going at 150% all year. I now see Christmas very differently. Yes it is for family and special time together but also a little bit of magic and mystery in a world that has lost a lot of that.

So that's us. We don't do naughty or nice lists as I know I won't follow through.

ETA my only thought OP is once you tell your kids there is no Santa it can't be undone. It's also likely to make them question tooth fairies, Easter bunnies and anything else made up. Which is fine if that's how you want to raise your kids. Just be comfortable I guess that that may not be a part of their lives.
    Last edited by Sonja; 01-11-2015 at 10:11.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (01-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We dont focus just on santa for christmas. If dd wants a photo with santa she can but I dont force her. And I do leave out a treat on xmas eve but thats more because I loved doing that as a child.

I do remind dd that not everyone gets to have a christmas like ours and we put together toy and food packs to give to some shelters each year and explain why its good to give to others. (I try to do this all year)
    Dd loves decorating the house and looking at lights for her that is christmas more than santa.
    Im not sure on how old your ds is but perhaps if you want to tell him the truth about santa explain that some people believe in him and we shouldnt ruin their fun or something along those lines?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (01-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I must admit i dont feel guilty about telling dd about santa coming but telling her the tooth fairy will come when she has lost her tooth makes me feel bad for lying!! 😕

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (01-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
    We do Santa and ds (6yrs) LOVES it. It really does make it magical. By no means is our christmas all about gifts though.. It's about family. We make sure we give gifts as well (kmart wishing tree, charities, etc.) at Christmas and he puts a lot of effort in to choosing those.

I also don't feel guilty about lying about it (and never have!). I was not once ever mad at my parents for lying to me about Santa, the Easter bunny, the tooth fairy, etc. I was actually very grateful for the effort they went to to make those times of the year special for my siblings and I.

to each their own, but I really believe that Santa is a special type of magic for little kids that is so short lived in the scheme of a lifetime. It makes the holiday season even more exciting.
    This is how I feel too. Mine are 3 and 6 and seeing them so excited is just the best. I don't do the big present from Santa though, that comes from us. Santa gets them one present each so it isn't all about the presents. Last year DS asked Santa to get him a book! We also do the elf on the shelf which they both loved (OK, so I loved it too LOL) and I'm already planning what they will get up to this year!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (01-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Elf on the shelf freaks me out! My kids would find that freaky too I think so we haven't done that.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Californication  (01-11-2015),Frankenmum  (01-11-2015)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Christmas is wonderful regardless BUT the magic of Santa really just tips the scales, and some of my best memories of my childhood are of Xmas, not what I received, but the anticipation! Putting out cookies and milk and carrots, listening out for jingle bells when lying in bed trying to sleep... There was no question for us as to if we would do it for DS, it even makes Christmas as an adult more exciting and magical watching your child's eyes light up in excitement!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (01-11-2015),Frankenmum  (01-11-2015),smallpotatoes  (02-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We dont do santa. I just dont feel comfortable lying to my kids, and I remember feeling very 'deceived' when I found out that Santa was a great big lie! I tell my kids that its a game of pretend. We know its just pretend,but lots of other kids dont,so dont spoil their game for them. We say the same about Easter bunny and tooth fairy. My kids understand, & I tell them that we can play the game too - we write a letter to santa, etc, but they know its not really true. It works for us & xmas is special and magical & exciting,but not because of some made up fat man - becuse of the love and joy we share with each other as a family,& with others around us & those in need too.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

A&S  (01-11-2015),BornToBe  (01-11-2015),Frankenmum  (01-11-2015),Koarlo  (01-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Elf on the shelf freaks me out! My kids would find that freaky too I think so we haven't done that.
    I bought ones that are hand made. The awful plastic one that look like Chucky freak me out too! All they are missing is the knife in the hand - eek, eek, eek!!!