+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love being in my 30's...I know who I am and what I want in my life, and love reaching personal goals I never thought were possible.
    I hate the 9-5 grind, so I'm a shift worker...makes life more exciting
    Growing old is a privilege, and after losing two friends in recent years I realise just how lucky I am to still be alive and healthy to do the daily grind.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Legwarmer  (01-11-2015),Redcorset  (01-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I deal with aging with Botox and vodka...lol

I love planning holidays with the family. I also get excited about Christmas love that time of year. I love putting up the tree and presents! So in terms of excitement I still have it. Yes my younger years where fun but getting s.hit face and sleeping with ransoms just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I have different interests. I work hard to have my house and I love buying little things for it and making it pretty. I love enjoying a good bottle of wine with DH and talking rubbish till 2am. ( ok sometimes we might open a second bottle).

It's ok to be scared about ageing but it's important you assess what you are unhappy about and set goals to change it. Meet new people, find hobbies, go away for the weekend etc. find things to get excited about even if they are not big or might not mean much to someone else.

Ask yourself what have you wanted to do for years but never had a chance to? Then make it happen!

Also eating healthy and exercise goes along way to how you feel about yourself. And if all else fails find a good plastic surgeon, I call mine the miracle man. Bugger aging gracefully...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (31-10-2015),TaylasWorld  (31-10-2015),turquoisecoast  (31-10-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I just don't feel old! It's weird. I look at other people around my age and think that *they* look like grown ups, but I don't see myself the same way. When parents in supermarkets ask their kids to watch out for 'the lady' I always look around to see who they're talking about!

I don't think I have any wrinkles. Not that I've noticed anyways. I'm not particularly vain so it wouldn't really bother me, although I could do without the little chin beard that keeps trying its darnedest to appear!

I know that's not very helpful. I sometimes get a bit antsy after a fruity lexia and some 90s music and think it would be nice to go out and party and have no responsibilities, but that usually passes after I think about the number of days it would take me to recover.

I do know what you mean about the unplanned pregnancy though. I think feeling like decisions have made you for you instead of by you can be unsettling. I am petrified of dying so I could be in massive denial, but I do think about how I'm 35, and how much has happened in my whole life, and how, all being well, if I make it to 65/70 that's a really really long time. Then I'll be old :-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (31-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I just don't feel old! It's weird. I look at other people around my age and think that *they* look like grown ups, but I don't see myself the same way. When parents in supermarkets ask their kids to watch out for 'the lady' I always look around to see who they're talking about!

I don't think I have any wrinkles. Not that I've noticed anyways. I'm not particularly vain so it wouldn't really bother me, although I could do without the little chin beard that keeps trying its darnedest to appear!

I know that's not very helpful. I sometimes get a bit antsy after a fruity lexia and some 90s music and think it would be nice to go out and party and have no responsibilities, but that usually passes after I think about the number of days it would take me to recover.

I do know what you mean about the unplanned pregnancy though. I think feeling like decisions have made you for you instead of by you can be unsettling. I am petrified of dying so I could be in massive denial, but I do think about how I'm 35, and how much has happened in my whole life, and how, all being well, if I make it to 65/70 that's a really really long time. Then I'll be old :-)
    Oh my god me too, I'm always like "how come they look like grown ups and I don't " and I'm the same when people say watch out for the lady haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I deal with it fine because I'm just that kind of 'roll with it' personality type.

I don't care about superficial stuff like lines on my face or my non-flat stomach - life's too short to sweat that kind of stuff. If I'm in reasonable health, that's what's important to me.

I had my DS when I was 31, so I'd had plenty of carefree years to party and all that jazz.

We still have fun even though we have an enormous responsibility with our DS who is on the spectrum. We both get the chance to let our hair down occasionally.

Having weekends away with my girlfriends drinking white wine and listening to bad hip hop is a great way to feel young again - I love to unleash my inner pork chop

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (31-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For me, and I know this will sound sanctimonious when I don't mean it too, but I went through a pretty scary ordeal last year and ended up having heart surgery this year, and after that it sort of made me change my way of thinking. I used to bemoan another year older, but then realised I 'get to be' another year older and I guess that has made the shift in attitude for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still human and dread seeing the visible signs of ageing and my recovery times aren't like they used to be, but that's life, we all age unfortunately.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

harvs  (31-10-2015),misskittyfantastico  (01-11-2015),SSecret Squirrel  (31-10-2015),turquoisecoast  (31-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So does anyone else start threads then panic when people actually reply since it means I'll now spend hours and hours trying to thoughtfully reply to everyone who contributed?

I'll be back to reply properly later!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (31-10-2015),Phony  (02-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting thread, something I've personally struggled with too. I'm 33 now. Don't feel it and don't look it (if I say so myself). I have a 4 month old baby and in many ways I feel way too young and on the other hand too old to be doing this. If that makes sense at all.
    I had a real thing about turning 30, just that psychological feeling of entering another decade and feeling that life was ticking away.
    I did a huge amount in my 20s. I changed so much in that decade. Married at 20, divorced at 24, tons of partying and irresponsibility, studying, climbing up in my career, married again at 29. I have pangs of feeling like that old me has slipped away and I panic a bit as I had some truly amazing carefree fun in my mid-20s especially. Single, financially ok, confident and independent. But then I ask myself what is it that I am missing about that time. I actually like myself as a person more now. I have a great life. I'm less image conscious and less materialistic and have an amazing DH and my adorable baby girl. But for me I feel like I blend in to the background now whereas in my younger days I felt like I stood out from the crowd and used to be noticed and I liked that. I talk myself through that though and when I put a bit of effort in I still scrub up ok but not like I did 5-10 years and15kg ago lol. It's just something I need to accept I'm not 25 anymore and yeah it was fun at the time but I have an even better life now and this lifestyle has longevity, my younger lifestyle was time-limited.
    So what do I do for fun? Big, long adventurous holidays are my fave. Looking forward to taking our baby girl on some amazing adventures over the coming years. Nice dinners out. Nice dinners at home! Keeping my house nice, gardening, enjoying a nice glass of wine at the end of a big day. Parties at friends instead of nightclubs.
    It is still possible to have a huge amount of fun as a 'proper' adult. Life has changed and will continue to change. Doesn't mean it's changing in a bad way, it's just different and sometimes it's even better.
    The upside to ageing for me is most definitely the different perspective I've developed in the past 5 years. I love that I feel I don't have to look or act a certain way to fit in. I could care less now if I fit in or not 😂 I've also weeded out people from my life who just weren't worth my effort. My circle is smaller but more meaningful. I had a close relative die this year, she was the same age as me. Life is so short. I hope I have the privilege of getting really really old 😊

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Apples1234  (31-10-2015),babyno1onboard  (31-10-2015),harvs  (31-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love getting older, actually. I feel much more secure, self aware and self accepting. I had a rough run in my teens and early twenties though. I also love the "safe" domestic feeling of being married & having children. However I do still like to have a boozer now and then. It helps. I think in our 30s everyone just switches to dinner parties and drinking too much at each other's houses rather than going out.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (31-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My answer to the original question was going to be I don't cope very well with ageing at all.

However this post made put things into perspective and made me stop and think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    For me, and I know this will sound sanctimonious when I don't mean it too, but I went through a pretty scary ordeal last year and ended up having heart surgery this year, and after that it sort of made me change my way of thinking. I used to bemoan another year older, but then realised I 'get to be' another year older and I guess that has made the shift in attitude for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still human and dread seeing the visible signs of ageing and my recovery times aren't like they used to be, but that's life, we all age unfortunately.