+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Another pregnancy after 2nd CSection-how soon?

As the title suggests just wondering how soon after a CS or 2nd CS did you start TTC again. I've heard everything from 6 months to 18 months. Time is not on our side so whilst I don't want to 'risk' any complications I also don't want to wait unnecessarily long and potentially miss the boat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, I've only had one c-section so I won't be able to give much advice I'm sorry. If you're wanting to ttc again soon but not sure I'd be making an appointment to see your doctor to ask questions about it & make sure everything's ok to go ahead & try. I know everyone's bodies react differently to surgery & some people will have complications or things happen where they should really wait longer where others may be fine to try sooner. I had a c-section at the end of June & my doctor said we would be ok to try again December if we wished (too soon for us haha) whereas my friend was told by her doctor not to get pregnant for at least another year to give her body a chance to heal due to some complications she had.

After you've gotten the ok from your doctor I'd say whenever you're comfortable to try again.

Sorry if I wasn't much help. Good luck & I hope you get your baby soon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky27 For This Useful Post:

me+he&she=three  (31-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dr said ideally 12 months but 6 would be ok because I would be having another Caesar anyway.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not having more kids but just had my second c section in September and was advised to wait two years before falling pregnant again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Ob recommened a minimun of 12 months between deliveries (was my first) but said if it were sooner it wouldn't be the end of the world. It is my understanding that if the wound doesn't heal well or there is an infection that it is best to wait longer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Another pregnancy after 2nd CSection-how soon?

Great thanks everyone. My ob said 6 months and I was good to start trying again and given I'd read conflicting stuff on the net I figured it was worth double checking. The scar healing/complication thing sounds logical in terms of it being quite an individual thing.
    Last edited by me+he&she=three; 31-10-2015 at 12:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It depends what you want to do. If you are due with your next baby within 12 months of your caesarean then they will recommend a repeat caesarean without really entertaining a VBAC (as the risk of uterine rupture is higher). So if you're ok with that side of things then that's fine. IDEALLY there would be a minimum of 12 months between pregnancies to give the wound a chance to heal. It's not just about what you can see externally, it's about all the layers of fat, muscle, nerves etc that have been cut through. To heal completely will take a few months.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

me+he&she=three  (01-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They advise but you can go straight away. I had a complication free pregnancy with only waiting 6 weeks after my Dd was born to getting utd

14. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

me+he&she=three  (01-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone - I'm definitely up for waiting 6 months before trying again. I just wasn't keen on waiting 12-18 months if that's what the 'norm' was as this would mean I'm a little too old IMO for a third child.