+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids are in school in Vic - prep they get two readers a week, they get sight words and are tested weekly to see if they are ready for the next round. They have a mathletics log in to practice maths and have also been given other homework. This continues through year 1 and 2. In year 3 they don't get readers but have to read 10mins each night independently, read with an adult and have an adult read with them and discuss what they read. They do 10mins of mathletics a night and then get a homework task every fortnight. Once a week they do a big write that sometimes will come home to discuss then write at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Tell me about how life changed when your kids started school.

Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    Yes I'm in QLD. And yes you're correct, prep is definitely not play based learning. My DS2 will be 4yrs 8 months when he is supposed to attend school. Far too young IMO.
    This is the beauty of the system in nsw where you can choose to send your child the year they turn 6 if you don't think they're ready. My eldest is May baby and in year one this year and already turned 7.

I would hate to live in other states where parents can't choose and been forced to send my May and July baby the year they turn5. My son is 5 and starting school next year. I like how Victoria cut off is April. Personally I think the cut off should be Term 1 across Australia.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (31-10-2015),just her chameleon  (31-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    This is the beauty of the system in nsw where you can choose to send your child the year they turn 6 if you don't think they're ready. My eldest is May baby and in year one this year and already turned 7.

I would hate to live in other states where parents can't choose and been forced to send my May and July baby the year they turn5. My son is 5 and starting school next year. I like how Victoria cut off is April. Personally I think the cut off should be Term 1 across Australia.
    I agree 100%. Prep still isn't compulsory here so it's entirely up to each Principal to decide if a delayed entry child gets slotted straight into grade 1 based on their age (thereby missing out on prep altogether) or allows them to complete prep year. Our Principal will allow them to complete prep under the delayed start of the born in the first half of the year, if they were born Jul-Dec he puts them into grade 1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    They are only two and four, so not at school yet. From what I've seen over the past almost two years, I am dreading them starting school. It's so rigid and controlling and they expect so much from 4-6year old kids.
    Meant to respond to this earlier.

I'm not familiar with other states (although all schools should be following the new English syllabus and maths maths as well) but by the end of first year of school, children should be able to read level 5-8 text, know numbers and numerals up to 20 and be able to count to 30.

FYI - here is a link to the literacy continuum. By the end of first year of compulsory schooling, most children should be at cluster 4. This is the continuum for nsw but I don't think it would be much different for other states.

http://www.curriculumsupport.educati...ontin_2012.pdf

Here is the numeracy continuum

http://www.numeracycontinuum.com/ind...ontinuum-chart

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old are your kids? Curious to see how long I've got before the boredom sets in lol

I'd love to do early morning before school stuff but my DD gets so incredibly tired and overwhelmed, cue the meltdowns

It's definitely something I could try though, as by the time my boys are starting school my DD will be that little bit older and hopefully less tired after school.
    By year 3 my kids were suffering the fate that is boredom Kids are exhausted their first year of school, but it's okay after that. Mine all hang out with their friends 30 minutes before school starts each morning...they meet at school for a play. And when he had a pool we often would have a swim between 7-7.30am, and then get ready for school.