+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    They are only two and four, so not at school yet. From what I've seen over the past almost two years, I am dreading them starting school. It's so rigid and controlling and they expect so much from 4-6year old kids.
    It doesn't have to be. When we had our pre-kindy interview, the teacher asked me what I expected kindy to be. I said that I just wanted it to lay a good foundation for the school years and hopefully he would have a lot of fun and love school. The teacher told me that was a good answer as they do lots of play based learning. And play he did! He loved it. Loves prep now and enjoys going to school. I expect things will change a little next year, but they do so much fun stuff and he still comes home knowing maths and is reading books. The teacher involve the kids in a lot of the decisions and I would class it as the opposite of controlling and rigid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They are only two and four, so not at school yet. From what I've seen over the past almost two years, I am dreading them starting school. It's so rigid and controlling and they expect so much from 4-6year old kids.
    My kids are all very different but have all thrived at school. Rigid start ansd finish times are just a small part of it. I know heaps of kids who off to the park before school each day, andcwe have weekends and school holidays for early morning beach swims.
    In fact, it doesn't take long for kids to need more than the park and the beach to keep them entertained. My kids easily get bored on school holidays now they're older. Just something to think about while you're making your decision as to what you want to do re: school.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Californication  (31-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    It doesn't have to be. When we had our pre-kindy interview, the teacher asked me what I expected kindy to be. I said that I just wanted it to lay a good foundation for the school years and hopefully he would have a lot of fun and love school. The teacher told me that was a good answer as they do lots of play based learning. And play he did! He loved it. Loves prep now and enjoys going to school. I expect things will change a little next year, but they do so much fun stuff and he still comes home knowing maths and is reading books. The teacher involve the kids in a lot of the decisions and I would class it as the opposite of controlling and rigid.

Kindy is wonderful, I'm worried about when they start prep, I spend a lot of time at school and I'm heavily involved in the classroom and the expectations that are placed on these kids is ridiculous. Prep is the new grade 1. My daughter is thriving, she is an exceptionally bright kid who is very mature. But my 4yo DS worries me a lot. He is just a stereotypical boy. He can't sit still, he needs constant stimulation and movement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Kindy is wonderful, I'm worried about when they start prep, I spend a lot of time at school and I'm heavily involved in the classroom and the expectations that are placed on these kids is ridiculous. Prep is the new grade 1. My daughter is thriving, she is an exceptionally bright kid who is very mature. But my 4yo DS worries me a lot. He is just a stereotypical boy. He can't sit still, he needs constant stimulation and movement.
    I probably wasn't very clear, but my son is in prep this year and at our school, they still do a lot of play based learning, and lots of fun stuff along with reading, writing etc.

He can't sit still either, but is good in class and they do lots of physical activity with them. That's where I think kindy is so important in setting a good foundation. It helps them understand sitting and listening etc and sets the groundwork for the years ahead. My DD starts kindy next year, and will still be 3 when she starts. So I do worry a bit about how she will cope compared to DS who was 4.5, but I'm sure she will be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I probably wasn't very clear, but my son is in prep this year and at our school, they still do a lot of play based learning, and lots of fun stuff along with reading, writing etc.

He can't sit still either, but is good in class and they do lots of physical activity with them. That's where I think kindy is so important in setting a good foundation. It helps them understand sitting and listening etc and sets the groundwork for the years ahead. My DD starts kindy next year, and will still be 3 when she starts. So I do worry a bit about how she will cope compared to DS who was 4.5, but I'm sure she will be fine.
    Oh sorry I understand now kindy is so incredibly important for setting the groundwork. Unfortunately the school we chose for our DD is very big on academics (which in itself is a great thing and something that initially attracted me to the school). But it seems to be at the expense of other things. Halfway through prep last year they dropped their morning outside play session. So school started at 8:45, morning tea at 10:40 for 20min - no play, lunch at 12:40 - eating time 10min then the bell rings and they can play for 30min. 30min outside play in 6hrs is not enough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    My kids are all very different but have all thrived at school. Rigid start ansd finish times are just a small part of it. I know heaps of kids who off to the park before school each day, andcwe have weekends and school holidays for early morning beach swims.
    In fact, it doesn't take long for kids to need more than the park and the beach to keep them entertained. My kids easily get bored on school holidays now they're older. Just something to think about while you're making your decision as to what you want to do re: school.
    How old are your kids? Curious to see how long I've got before the boredom sets in lol

I'd love to do early morning before school stuff but my DD gets so incredibly tired and overwhelmed, cue the meltdowns

It's definitely something I could try though, as by the time my boys are starting school my DD will be that little bit older and hopefully less tired after school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    it seems to be at the expense of other things. Halfway through prep last year they dropped their morning outside play session. So school started at 8:45, morning tea at 10:40 for 20min - no play, lunch at 12:40 - eating time 10min then the bell rings and they can play for 30min. 30min outside play in 6hrs is not enough
    I agree, that's not enough at that age! Did they give a reason?

Ours have a morning activity session outside for about 20 mins, then eat and have free play. More free play at lunch and a short activity in the arvo just to break up the day a bit. Kids hat age need to move!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, that's not enough at that age! Did they give a reason?

Ours have a morning activity session outside for about 20 mins, then eat and have free play. More free play at lunch and a short activity in the arvo just to break up the day a bit. Kids hat age need to move!
    They were preparing them for grade 1 apparently. They also had sight words and a reader from week 2 of prep! It's just so full on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They were preparing them for grade 1 apparently. They also had sight words and a reader from week 2 of prep! It's just so full on.
    Are you in Qld by any chance? Under the National Curriculum Prep is the first year of actual school and is no the longer play based learning that it was when it was first introduced. This brings Qld into line with other states. Play based learning happens at Kindy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (31-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Are you in Qld by any chance? Under the National Curriculum Prep is the first year of actual school and is no the longer play based learning that it was when it was first introduced. This brings Qld into line with other states. Play based learning happens at Kindy.

Yes I'm in QLD. And yes you're correct, prep is definitely not play based learning. My DS2 will be 4yrs 8 months when he is supposed to attend school. Far too young IMO.