+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me about how life changed when your kids started school.

Another thread got me thinking. I have always looked forward to being a 'school mum'. I loved school & I think DD will too, so I find myself being really excited for her. She is starting pre school three days a week next year from 9am - 3pm (she's currently in daycare 2 days) and I'm just curious - how will life be different? Did you like the changes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I typed a post but it didn't go through.

To be honest, apart from the hours nothing much will be different. The only thing is you might meet and chat to more parents because of the drop off and pick up times being the same for everyone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

amcyus  (31-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Subbing - DS starts school next year! He's been going to pre school 2 days a week and nothing really has changed but big school I'm feeling is a totally different life! He's got orientation on Friday and I'm excited but sad at the same time!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

amcyus  (31-10-2015),Gracie's Mum  (31-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    A couple of things i noticed. Like becomes very dictated by start and finish times. Unlike daycare or preschool you must be at drop and pick up.

Secondly the first year can be very social depending on the school and the people. Ours was filled with play dates and catch ups. It was lovely as we were new to Perth at the time.

Depending again on the school and the kid it can really wake your child up to wanting to learn and know everything. My eldest was always a curious child but it was as if her mind became open to a whole new world. She was even more full of questions and curiosity. It was lovely but also exhausting!

Can't think of anything else. If you have time and want to get involved in your school PandC it can also be a great time to start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My experiences from ds1 starting prep (aka kindergarten)
    • life became a lot more rigid- pick ups and drop offs have to happen at the exact same time. If you have other children, especially a LO who still naps, this is so difficult to manage.
    • i don't "know" as much about Ds1's life. At Childcare you can call multiple times (if you wish to), you can have a detailed summary of their day, you can request modifications to their routines at cc- you have more say in how they are cared for. At school you are lucky to hear anything (unless they are in trouble) except twice a year at PT interviews
    • there is more prep each day- homework, lunches, uniforms,notes, etc.
    • School is a tougher environment. If your child doesn't go to the bathroom during toilet break- tough. They have to hold on. They have to be competent in a lot of things from small things like how to open their lunch food to big things like negotiating conflict in the school yard. Cc is a much more protective environment in that aspect.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

amcyus  (31-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He now has homework. That's about all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think the op is talking about pre school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Preschool is basically the same as childcare. No differences for you OP. Preschool is not school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As others have said, your life will become dictated by pick up and drop off times.

If you work, you may find you need a very understanding boss if you want to attend all the special things at school. eg in the early years of school, it isn't uncommon to have a "show your parent your term's work" type afternoon starting at 2pm, or a little class presentation to the parents about what they have learnt that term or your child may be getting an award on assembly that you don't want to miss watching them receive (especially if the teacher lets you know it is happening). If anything it becomes harder to work when your kids at school because of all the little extras that your child will want you to attend.

School also means more playdates, parties, extracurricular activities eg they hear about things from friends and want to join in too.

Oh and homework and school readers. The bane of my existance.

ETA and be prepared to be flooded with notes home from school and the need to get information on what is going on from multiple sources. eg Our school has a facebook page that they are good at keeping updated, but not everything gets updated on there.

We also pay term fees for extras (eg swimming, excursions etc) but not everything is included on the bill. I also have to remember to keep an eye out in the school newsletter for last minute stuff that is going on.

Then there are the themed school dress up days with very little notice. Free dress up days are great, not so great when they are themed to something along the lines of dress up as your favourite sports star or international day when you can dress up as someone from another country and bring food from that country to share. Or come to school as a fairy tale character day or pirate day. Yes we have had them all, usually with only a weeks notice.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 31-10-2015 at 08:59.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

amcyus  (31-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Preschool is basically the same as childcare. No differences for you OP. Preschool is not school.
    Depends on what state you are in. My comments were about starting the 5 day a fortnight kinder program.