+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a 2.5yo boy. Who is go go go go go go go so in my case - boys seem to be full of beans. He sounds normal and fine to me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (04-11-2015)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think it's totally normal.

I think he would be much better at the playground or play centre than trying to sit him down to do structured activities.
    This ^^

I think that's completely normal and also the pp who mentioned kids having different routines/used to different things.

I've been taking my ds to a semi-structured playgroup since he was 18 months. It's good because he can tear around the room at his own pace trying out all the activities and the slightly older or more focused kids can get right into the one activity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep, totally normal sounds like my DD1 who is a very physical child, once I worked out that this is the way she learns I could cater to her needs ie park runs as opposed to library time. Personally I don't see structured play when so young as ideal- good boundaries and a safe environment is all you need. 😀

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2yo DS is exactly the same, he's always been very active and full on. We tried music classes and soon ditched that idea, ditto for library reading time. Even mum's group can be tough. All the other bubs (except one other) have always been so calm and happy to sit quietly and amuse themselves, I've always been the mum madly running after her 'spirited' little one as he sprints towards the nearest road/beach/random faraway danger. I don't think I've ever finished a conversation.
    We now do swimming, go to playgroup and have just started toddler gym, which is pretty unstructured and he seems to really enjoy it.
    I do think a lot of parents with highly active toddlers skip the structured stuff.
    You are not alone OP!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calicocat For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (30-10-2015),nh2489  (30-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This was my DS1 at the same age...library time urgghhh what a nightmare..my child seemed to single handedly destroy the library - tried it twice and never went back!! Music and dance style classes were the same - forget it!
    He was just an active little boy who thrived much better in the outdoors, where he wasn't limited to doing certain things. Structured activities at that age did not suit him at all and just stressed me out and embarrassed!
    He's now nearly 10 - still a very ourdoors kid, prefers un-structured activity and free play, but has no trouble at school and plays loads of sport. He certainly doesnt have any ADD type issues.
    Just give all those things a miss for a while and try later (like age 5!), head to the park with a ball, or the sand toys, or just go for a play at the pool. My local council runs a playgroup in the park whick is fantastic.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (30-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This sounds like our DS! People tell me he's normal, and I like to believe them Our outings are based on places he can run and play safely. Swimming classes are good, but he gets cranky about waiting his turn.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, you have put my mind at ease ☺️.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is EXACTLY the same! He's now 2.5 and has gotten a bit better. I actually gave up on kindergym and music class a while ago as it was just a nightmare. We never even tried story time at the library!! So we started doing more unstructured stuff instead, playing at park, catch ups with friends, etc. Apparently he does ok with structured activities now at daycare. He just has boundless curiosity and enthusiasm for life, which is a great thing, even if it's challenging as a parent! Good luck

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Your OP describes every signal boy, and a couple girls, is my DS' music class! DS' behavior varies with his classes, one week he'll be all over the place while the music teacher constantly says 'on your bottoms!' and the next he'll quietly sit on my lap doing all the tasks. I've actually decided not to do music next term as I think he needs something more physical and I'm over stopping him from climbing down the stairs there! I think your theory that the parents with the higher energy toddlers avoid certain classes is probably spot on. ☺️

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post: