+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Palliative Patient Gift.

One of the school mums at my daughters school has had breast cancer for quite sometime. It unfortunately has spread rapidly and it appears to be dire. Our daughters are in kindergarten together. Although we have not been extremely social other than childrens birthday parties, we do have a friendship. It seems that she may not be with us for much longer. I write this with extreme grief. I want to gift her something that will be of comfort for her youngest children in the years to follow. (She has 4 kids 2 boys older teens, a boy and a girl 4 and 3) I do not know what is appropriate. Please help....

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about one of those Wish You Were Here dolls? Where you get s photo of a person and they print it on fabric and make a doll out of it. Their target market seem to be FIFO and military families but that was just the first thing that sprung to mind

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MaximumStarlight For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (29-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about one of those books you record your voice so you can hear the story being read to you? I have seen them in news agencies all over town.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquillah For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (29-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm so very sorry - how utterly tragic and unfair.
    I'm not sure about a gift....maybe a star in her name?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (29-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love both ideas thank you! I actually have the wish you were here dolls on facebook I haven't seen the recordable books anywhere here. I may need to search tomorrow. Have you seen them in a specific store???
    Last edited by winterbaby; 29-10-2015 at 23:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If there's a few of you who can chip in can you put together enough money for one last family holiday? Obviously it will depend on how sick she is as to where they could go. You could get in contact with the husband and work it out from there.

One of the girls I used to work with has breast cancer and ended up quite sick from the chemo and radiation. Once her treatment had finished about 20 of us chipped in to send her and her family to Fiji for a week. We had a travel agent put together an amazing package. It gave her young kids a more positive memory of their mum rather than the previous 6+ months where she was quite sick, lost her hair etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (30-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately my understanding is she only has days left. They have been on a couple of holidays this year and were booked again in December.
    I like the photographer idea but will need to check with family as I don't know how up to it she may be.
    Thank you all for your fantastic ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How sad! What about a tree they can plant in the garden ? Then they can go sit and chat to mummy at her tree?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (01-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's so sad. I saw something on FB the other day, it was a pillow made from dad's clothes. I thought that was a great idea for a child to have when their parent/grandparent is no longer around. I'll see if I can find the photo.

Op, it's lovely that you are thinking of this family. My only other thought is to organise some meals for them? I'm sure the last thing Dad feels like doing is cooking. If you got each family from the class to make a freezable casserole, that would be a very practical and useful help to them I'm sure.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (01-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is the one I saw. I've also seen quilts as well.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1446168373.879533.jpg