+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I think at 15months you just have to ride it out, DS around 18 - 24 months started to get into playing with toys and cars when we went out but at 15 months he was just eager to be always on the move and didn't want to sit still!
    I agree with this. Unless your child has sensory or other issues I'm also not a fan of bribing kids with food. Sure they get crazy when they get hungry but once fed they don't keep getting food.

I'd have some special toys or lift a flap kind of books that only come out at appointments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I take a little container of fruit and his water. I keep an emergency stash of biccies (which is handy if i get hungry also) my kids were not given phones to play with until over 3. Before that i keep a little notebook and pens/highlighter in my bag and he can draw. Or i did have a drawing ap on my ph once for dd.

If he screams he is just having a tantrum to see how you will react, he isnt hurt he needs to learn he cant just expect food all the time. They do learn quickly and move on even though it is horrible at the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you just let him crawl/walk around the office? Ds will sit in my lap for a little while and people watch but then gets bored because he just wants to constantly move. I just let him go. My dr has toys, books drawing etc in reception and in his office to keep kids occupied.

I think if he's having meltdowns over food out of boredom id just stop giving it to him. It's not the way to behave and kids need to learn that sometimes they're going to be bored.

Public tantrums are no fun but after a couple you might find he gives up on it and focusses on something else and will be happy to be distracted by other things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At 15 months my ds could never sit still in a waiting room and now at 2.5 he's even worse. At 15 months he wouldn't have been interested in toys either, just wanted to run everywhere, throw magazines, get behind the reception desk, get to power points etc.

If im at the drs or waiting for an appointment I usually have to take him for a walk out the front of the waiting room and get them to call me when it's my turn, we climb stairs, look at the lifts, look at plants in the foyer eg. Sometimes now he's a bit bigger he'll play with toys or read a book but rarely.

It sounds like pretty standard behaviour for a kid his age, food might not really be the answer. After he's has his snack that you've brought for him you might have to try taking him for a walk if you have to wait longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that food isnt the *best* option.... that being said,when the kids have been cranky, tired & sick, I have actually given them each a little tub of jelly beans in the drs office out of desperation. It was the most peaceful appointment I ever had so hey,if it works.

I often bring special toys that are ONLY fo appointments, they dont get to have them at other times, & flat ish things - sticker books, etc. I have also got about 5-10 little bags... like cosmetic bags, & filled each one with different items. Eg,plastic animals in one, cotton balls in one, toy cars in one, etc. I then put the little bags inside a larger bag,&hand the large bag to the child when we enter the appointment (not in the waiting room). They make a horrific mess,but spend ages unzipping each bag & playing with the toys inside. If it only entertains them for a few mins, they have another bag to go on to. At the end of the appt, I chuck it all in the big bag & sort i out at home.

With regards to ipad etc, my kids really werent interested in apps etc at that age,but In the night garden was the only 'screen' activity they were interested in. Could you download some night garden on the ipad?

Appointments can be so stressful. I have to take all 3 kids to mine, & they do NOT sit quietly for long at all. Ive just persisted with teaching them the right behaviour, & it has improved with time. Some times they are angels,sometimes it is a nightmare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love that idea of smaller bags of toys inside the big bag, that could be a winner!!