+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Most apps ive looked at or had recommended seem to need internet. Ill have another look around.

How do i prevent him from throwing my phone? - depending on the appointment, i cant always hold it the entire time. Is there a pouch or something i can use to attach it to his pram?
    If he's throwing your phone I would assume he's just not interested in playing with it.

Have you tried filling an old bottle with rice and making some sort of shaker? Don't let him see it until you get to the appointment. Or the cheap toy aisle at Kmart? Maybe you can buy a few $1/$2 toys out them in bag and attach to pram?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think at 15months you just have to ride it out, DS around 18 - 24 months started to get into playing with toys and cars when we went out but at 15 months he was just eager to be always on the move and didn't want to sit still!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Always have a whole six packet or huge bag of sultanas in your bag. I make sure there are LOADS! also something else just in case the sultanas get too boring a sandwhich usually works. But a whole bag of sultanas usually works for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I usually have a backpack full of food and toys, not inclusive of a nappy bag. Yogurt with an ice brick, cheese, crackers, cut up grapes, cut up apples, sandwiches, snack pack of pretzels.

I also will happily leave home a little early if need be and pop into a cafe for some toast if I know anyone will be hungry.

I think my baby bag usually has 3-4 matchbox cars or Kmart cheapie monster trucks that have glowing lights and sounds, and one or two Thomas trains if someone is into it that day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most apps ive looked at or had recommended seem to need internet. Ill have another look around.

How do i prevent him from throwing my phone? - depending on the appointment, i cant always hold it the entire time. Is there a pouch or something i can use to attach it to his pram?
    Monkey preschool lunchbox and the other monkey ones don't require Internet.

Thanks
    Reviews

Get the receptionist to give you a call when it is your turn. While you wait - go outside and let him run and explore a little. Keep him moving and then food as a last resort (after apps/books etc are exhausted)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (29-10-2015),TheGooch  (29-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zoz View Post
    Always have a whole six packet or huge bag of sultanas in your bag. I make sure there are LOADS! also something else just in case the sultanas get too boring a sandwhich usually works. But a whole bag of sultanas usually works for me.
    Geez that would be a ton of sugar!

Personally I don't believe it's healthy to ply a toddler with food constantly for over an hour just to keep them quiet.
    You just need to find what works for them as a distraction.
    Getting a couple of new toys to bring out only at appointments is a good idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Toys with buttons and flashing lights hold my sons attention the longest. So keep that in mind if you go to buy a few special 'appointment' toys.

With food I would try to think of things that take a little longer to eat. Whole apple or cold raisin toast worked for us. Or you could get one of those snack cups that the child has to squeeze their hand through to get the food. Like this...
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1446103006.468044.jpg

Hop that pic works. You can get heaps of different types of this same thing. It will slow him down while scoffing the saltanas!

Also I used to take frozen peas/carrot/corn, cherry tomatoes, cheese cubes and snap peas. If you take healthy stuff and he eats HEAPS you won't be so worried about it. X

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (29-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never been fond of food for distraction, so I used to take a small bag/pouch with things DD didn't get any other time. Some of her favourites were a few plastic animals in something with a zip, a beaded necklace, finger puppets, a few pieces of duplo (ideally with a wheeled base), a balloon to blow up, laminated photos of family members....anything that was small and light, and allowed for a wide variety of play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Geez that would be a ton of sugar!

Personally I don't believe it's healthy to ply a toddler with food constantly for over an hour just to keep them quiet.
    You just need to find what works for them as a distraction.
    Getting a couple of new toys to bring out only at appointments is a good idea.
    That might work for you but I have a special needs child. He's non verbal and can't walk so gets very frustrated in a matter of seconds. Plying with food is an answer for him. Also he loves a drink, his sippy cup is like a comfort to him.

I think yes it may not be for everyone "plying the child with food" but in different circumstances for different people it may be the only way.

My DS doesn't like toys, he'd take one look at the toy and throw it away then scream some more until he got some food or his cup. He does in fact love wheels, so toys with wheels sometimes work but once he's frustrated and in that frame of mind the toy car with wheels isn't going to cut it.

So yes it's very well saying not believing in plying with food but there are circumstances for each individual.

Also RCH in Melbourne where we often have appointments have a texting service where they tell you to go for a walk or an explore while they'll text you to notify your appointment is ready. Maybe see if that's an option, most likely not in a small doctors office but hospitals and that usually do it.
    Last edited by zoz; 29-10-2015 at 19:37.