+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do i make the food last for the entire appointment/outing?

I often have to take my son to my appointments (things like doctor, psychologist etc) as i dont have anyone to leave him with. Hes 15 months old.

What ends up happening every single time is absolutely nothing will distract him apart from food. Then when i give him food he wants more & more & more & if i dont give it to him he has an epic screaming tantrum, and if i do give it to him he eats all the food ive brought in the first 10 minutes.

Distractions ive tried without success - toys, stickers, my phone, keys, sunglasses, tv (ie in waiting rooms etc), tickling him, books. Only food seems to work.

How can I make the food last for the entire appointment?? Short of taking the entire pantry with me i dont know what to do. I walk so i cant carry too much.

I end up resorting to biscuits & things like that just to get him to stop screaming when there is no more food left. I really don't want that to become a habit though.

I know people are just going to say 'let him scream' but i struggle with that. Him screaming, especially in public is a MASSIVE trigger for my anxiety. Overall im managing my anxiety better now but i still struggle to manage the stress & panic i feel when he starts cracking up when we are out. I think it stems from when he was really little & i didn't know how to settle him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The best foods I used to take for DS as a toddler is a whole apple - it took him easily 30 mins to finish nibbling it! Or the freeze dried fruit or little containers of goji berries or babybel cheese because of its wax can be room temp for a few hours

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (29-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lots of sultanas..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apples, bananas, sultanas, dried fruit, mini muffins, cheese, sandwich.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Cheerios!

Thanks
    Reviews
    MIL recently went out somewhere and she was astounded at the amount of parents that turned up with food to keep their child entertained or happy. She said that back in her day, a 2 hours outing didnt require food. I realised she was right, we just want to do what we can to distract, and we've all started using food to do it.

I dont think there is anything you can do that you are not already doing. He eats what you have taken with you in the first 10 minutes and that's pretty much it. Take a book or a toy and try and distract I'm afraid.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

CMF  (29-10-2015),TheGooch  (29-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    Lots of sultanas..
    I did, he ate them all before we even went into the appointment

Now its just making going out stressful again! I struggled to leave the house with him when he was little because he wouldnt sleep & screamed a lot & nothing would make him stop. I ended up crying as well or having panic attacks. Ive come a long way since then & i dont want to go back to that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I did, he ate them all before we even went into the appointment

Now its just making going out stressful again! I struggled to leave the house with him when he was little because he wouldnt sleep & screamed a lot & nothing would make him stop. I ended up crying as well or having panic attacks. Ive come a long way since then & i dont want to go back to that.
    does using the tablet/ipad work? or you could put your phone on airplane mode and he can play with it.. can't make calls or anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The phone doesn't work for long & he will throw my tablet. I also dont have mobile data on either phone or tablet so im limited with the apps i can use.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    You don't need mobile data to use apps.....
    Most apps ive looked at or had recommended seem to need internet. Ill have another look around.

How do i prevent him from throwing my phone? - depending on the appointment, i cant always hold it the entire time. Is there a pouch or something i can use to attach it to his pram?