+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1st Pregnancy - what to expect

Hi all,

Recently found out i was pregnant - by my calculations I am 5 weeks today.
    Went to the doctor last week, had urine and blood tests done. She also gave me a referral for an ultrasound in 2 weeks for dating scan. Have not heard back from the doctor yet with any results (it's been 4 days and I was told the results only take 2 days at the most) and she's off until Saturday.
    Does it normally take this long? I just want some more re-assurance that everything is still okay as I have had no major pregnancy symptoms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds pretty normal, I also got a referral for an obstetrician from my GP and discussed the care options available to me. I would call them about the results, when I was pregnant I was too nervous to wait

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunhine View Post
    Hi all,

Recently found out i was pregnant - by my calculations I am 5 weeks today.
    Went to the doctor last week, had urine and blood tests done. She also gave me a referral for an ultrasound in 2 weeks for dating scan. Have not heard back from the doctor yet with any results (it's been 4 days and I was told the results only take 2 days at the most) and she's off until Saturday.
    Does it normally take this long? I just want some more re-assurance that everything is still okay as I have had no major pregnancy symptoms.

Congratulations! It's not uncommon for docs to only call if results are concerning. So, no news is most likely good news! They can't tell much from one blood test alone - it will confirm your pregnant with the presence of HCG in your blood, that is all.

2 blood tests a few days apart can give an indication of the pregnancy is viable or not (as there should be a rise/doubling) but most docs won't order this unless there is a need to (ie you've had previous miscarriages or are concerned about miscarriage etc). With my first pregnancy my GP didn't order blood tests at all until 12 weeks. Did she actually say she would call you with results? Otherwise she probably won't.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Sunhine  (29-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You know what she never mentioned that she would call me!! I think my head was all over the place on the day I saw her - it was a few hours after I got the positive pregnancy test

I hate a dating scan in 2 weeks time and a pap smear test with the GP just after it so I think I'll wait until then to get the results and the referral to RWH.

It's such a strange feeling of the excitement when you get the positive result and then.........nothing! Just waiting!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunhine View Post
    You know what she never mentioned that she would call me!! I think my head was all over the place on the day I saw her - it was a few hours after I got the positive pregnancy test

I hate a dating scan in 2 weeks time and a pap smear test with the GP just after it so I think I'll wait until then to get the results and the referral to RWH.

It's such a strange feeling of the excitement when you get the positive result and then.........nothing! Just waiting!!!
    Agree! At least your doc ordered you a dating scan - most don't! With my first pregnancy I got my positive test and GP was like see you at 12 weeks!! Wtf?! I ended up going back a week later and demanding a date scan as I didn't even know there was such a thing until a friend suggested it. There was no way I was waiting a couple of months!

So try relax and keep occupied for 2 weeks 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its up to GOD that what he gifts us, but i should be lucky for me and my partner