+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Great to hear

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Happy birthday!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can someone help me please, DS scrotum is extremely swollen and red. I expected swelling but his scrotum used to be the size of like 2x 5c pieces and now it's seriously bigger than a golf ball.

I don't know if that swelling is normal or not? He was doing fine on just panadol last night and most of today until tonight when my mum tried to put him to bed (DH and I had to go out to a meeting) and he cracked it, she then gave him nurofen and he eventually settled but when I got home he woke and cried again which is unusual.

Hospital said that if he gets a fever of over 38 then we should take him to ED but I can't tell because he's constantly on either panadol and nurofen or (now) both.

How do I know if it's infected? It's red but that could just be from bruising?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    Can someone help me please, DS scrotum is extremely swollen and red. I expected swelling but his scrotum used to be the size of like 2x 5c pieces and now it's seriously bigger than a golf ball.

I don't know if that swelling is normal or not? He was doing fine on just panadol last night and most of today until tonight when my mum tried to put him to bed (DH and I had to go out to a meeting) and he cracked it, she then gave him nurofen and he eventually settled but when I got home he woke and cried again which is unusual.

Hospital said that if he gets a fever of over 38 then we should take him to ED but I can't tell because he's constantly on either panadol and nurofen or (now) both.

How do I know if it's infected? It's red but that could just be from bruising?
    Ring the nurses hotline or health hotline. My rule of thumb is if I'm worried I see someone. No one on here will know what's normal or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Go and get it seen. Better to safe than sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would get it looked at

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With that amount of swelling and misery, I'd take him to the ED. better safe than sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    Ds's surgery is done and dusted, thankfully they were able to do both testes so that we won't have to go back for a 2nd surgery. Such a relief.

He's been well since waking up and we are on our way home.

My only concern now is that the nurse told us the anaesthetist used setting similar to an epidural for him, well it goes into his back, I think it was called a cordal? Anyway she said during the surgery ds's heart rate went up quite high so it possibly didn't work, so they then had to use more local in his groin instead.

So does that mean he felt pain during his surgery?
    I think you may mean a caudal block? It's a regional anesthetic (injected near the tail bone) used with a lighter general anesthetic, often used in pediatric surgery in the grain area - orchioplexy, circumcision etc. Sounds like the nurse was saying the regional anesthetic didn't work as well as hoped/expected so they increased the general anesthetic. It sounds fairly routine to me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

michellek  (06-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be taking him to the ed, that amount of swelling does seem excessive. Hope its nothing to worry about but best to get him checked
    @Kaybaby thank you for that explanation! It was all explained to me when ds had his orchioplexy but it was also such a blur at the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    How is he this morning? Any better?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (06-11-2015)