+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good thread, OP. DS1 is 5 and seems to be always hungry. I'm a terrible mother as well, lots of fruit and water here 😜 Subbing for ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My homemade chicken nuggets ( I also swap proteins and instead of chicken also use Turkey, salmon or tuna)

1 poached chicken breast ( prefer organic or free range) cut into chunks
    2 or 3 different kinds of veggies ( I usually use broccoli, spinach and carrot)
    Teaspoon chia seeds
    Teaspoon fresh or dried herbs ( usually parsley)
    1 egg
    Rice or quinoa crumbs

Chuck all into a food processor and pulse until it all becomes a mince like consistency , shape into whatever shapes you want, roll into more rice crumbs , spray with coconut oil and bake in oven for 10 minutes until golden

Goji berries are a great high protein snack as is nut butters on plain rice cakes , boiled eggs and babybel cheese

Some toddlers do crave carbs as their insulin levels increase and causes them to want more which is why they are often hungry so try cutting down on the simple carbs ( bread, rice, pasta, chips, biscuits) and up the complex carbs ( whole grains, veggies , nuts and legumes ) and see if it makes a difference?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    To limit bread for lunch you could do fritters. I do grated sweet potato, an egg and about a tablespoon of flour. Heaped spoonful into the frypan and cook like a pancake. You can eat them hot straight away or cold the next day with toppings like avo, cream cheese and tomato. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4yo son does this when we have a "home day" (and has done since age 3). He's bored and I'm busy doing boring things like housework. He drives me mental with his requests for food. I know it's not (all) hunger because he doesn't do it if we are out and about, or busy, or at daycare.
    With all my children at about age 3 I introduced set meal/snack times when we were at home to save my sanity. I have always done big breakies (or two breakfasts - ie toast and cereal, or eggs and cereal etc) and picnic plate at lunch time...

Thanks
    Reviews
    So this morning I thought I'd try something different, I let him have cereal for breakfast (that he asked for, wouldn't have anything else) then after school drop off I came home and made scrambled eggs with mushrooms & ham, crumpets and a berry banana smoothie and he's currently sitting outside eating it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kissesforfive For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (29-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD 3 yo is like this, I know it's worse when I'm 'lazy' and direct her to the fruit bowl, it just doesn't fill her at all.

Ants on a log...celery with peanut butter inside and a few sultanas.
    Rice crackers with avocado, cheese, cherry toms.
    Raw veg sticks
    Plain popcorn
    Yogurt with nuts

If I make the effort to actually make her something rather than give fruit it's worth it as she stops asking!

Another breakfast idea is banana pancakes, one banana and two eggs mixed together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is exactly the same. Has been for ever. I started making her a lunch box when we were home and I found it really helped. I'd give her breakfast as usual and while she was eating pack up her lunch box. Whenever the "I'm hungry's" started I'd just say get your lunch box and she'd pull it out and choose herself a snack. It worked really well. I wasn't in the kitchen fixing her a snack every 2 mins and she knew what she had to eat for the day and could help herself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a nearly 6, 4.5 and 2.5 year old, and all 3 of them constantly ask for food, non stop, all day long. I feed them plenty of proteins, good fats, healthy carbs, fruits, veg and grains, and also plenty of treats as well. They drink water all day long, and they are active all day long.
    So I've got no advice, but I feel your pain x 3. It literally does. not. stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last night I felt guilty after feeling like my child is starving after reading this thread so after the kids were in bed,I made up a batch of homemade custard with egg,milk,cornflour, & a small amount of sugar - & put them in reusable squeezy pouches. When DD was hungry,I gave her a pouch & it seemed to fill her up well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Last night I felt guilty after feeling like my child is starving after reading this thread so after the kids were in bed,I made up a batch of homemade custard with egg,milk,cornflour, & a small amount of sugar - & put them in reusable squeezy pouches. When DD was hungry,I gave her a pouch & it seemed to fill her up well.
    Same! I went to the shops and bought a whole bunch of ingredients to make bliss balls, savory muffins, savory slice, smoothies and pikelets 😂