+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Yep I really think a bit more protein and fats are needed in every meal and snack. Some things that you could add in that you might not have thought of....

Ground up nuts or chia seeds in his smoothies. Also maybe some cream or coconut cream. Remember that it might sound "unhealthy" for a smoothie to be so rich for you but for his age fats and oils are good.

Similarly heaps of butter and nut butters with his lunch. Avocado and cheese. Shredded chicken can be added to heaps of lunch meals too.

You could make bliss balls for snacks. In a food processor you blitz up nuts. We love almonds or cashews and chia seeds. Then add in dates (or maybe apricots). Keep blitzing and then add some coconut oil to add some fats and to get the consistency right for rolling into balls. Then roll and coat in coconut. Keep in the fridge.

I'm sorry if some of the other replies sound harsh. Tho I do agree that the type of carb based foods and snacks that you are offering would leave my son asking for more food within an hour too. Good luck x
    That's great advice, I've written those down! Thank you.

As I have said, I don't only give him those things, they were examples, maybe I should edit my original post to say this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissesforfive View Post
    Great idea, will give it a try
    Also, just mixing avocado with cream cheese for a dip I have usually found a winner. ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry, I'm going to keep popping in as I think of things!

Annabel karmel has a few great toddler cookbooks.

This link is yummy as well, there are a few healthy muffin recipes http://mylovelylittlelunchbox.com

Google: wholesometoddlerfood as that has good tips and recipes.

And finally, a very American snack but healthy and filling if he's not allergic to nuts, slices of apple with peanut butter spread over them. My son is allergic to peanuts (how he is half American I have no idea😉) but can eat almonds so I spread almond butter on them, so yummy. Sanitarium in OZ has a peanut butter with no added sugar or salt, just peanuts blended up so nice and healthy. You just have to mix the oil through when you open as it rises to the top.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know if he's a picky eater but my 2.5 year old DD is, and getting things like porridge or meat into her is about as likely to happen as pigs flying.
    Breakfast sounds like is really lacking protein which keeps us feeling full for longer. Will he eat scrambled eggs or bacon?

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, I certainly don't think anyone was implying you were a bad mother
    Just a few light-hearted "off-the-cuff" remarks. Please don't take offence.

I have the same issue with my 5-year-old. He claims he is hungry seemingly every 15 minutes. Drives me batty. He eats a fair amount, but his weight never changes...he has been 20.3kg for most of the year! So I assume he really is hungry. And I never know what to feed him in-between meals either. He has cereal for brekky, a sandwich and fruit and yoghurt for lunch, and usually meat and vegies for dinner. But "snacks" have me beat...and he vetoes a number of my suggestions, I think usually to see what "good stuff" may be on offer!!

I like the idea of a "platter" of snacks on the bench, which is self-serve. I think I will try it. Fruit, cheese, yoghurt, dry bikkies...what else?

I'm not really up to much cooking at the moment (recovering from radiotherapy for breast cancer), but I can "chop and assemble". Any such ideas would be well received.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lots of good suggestions, I agree try some more protein like meatballs, homemade chicken nuggets, nut butter. I find a platter of things to pick at is great you can put vegies/hummus and then add shredded beef or chicken, baked salmon if he'll try it. Does he like cooked tuna sushi?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    I don't know if he's a picky eater but my 2.5 year old DD is, and getting things like porridge or meat into her is about as likely to happen as pigs flying.
    Breakfast sounds like is really lacking protein which keeps us feeling full for longer. Will he eat scrambled eggs or bacon?
    He will honestly only eat toast or cereal at breakfast or pancakes which we have on weekends,

Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    OP, I certainly don't think anyone was implying you were a bad mother
    Just a few light-hearted "off-the-cuff" remarks. Please don't take offence.

I have the same issue with my 5-year-old. He claims he is hungry seemingly every 15 minutes. Drives me batty. He eats a fair amount, but his weight never changes...he has been 20.3kg for most of the year! So I assume he really is hungry. And I never know what to feed him in-between meals either. He has cereal for brekky, a sandwich and fruit and yoghurt for lunch, and usually meat and vegies for dinner. But "snacks" have me beat...and he vetoes a number of my suggestions, I think usually to see what "good stuff" may be on offer!!

I like the idea of a "platter" of snacks on the bench, which is self-serve. I think I will try it. Fruit, cheese, yoghurt, dry bikkies...what else?

I'm not really up to much cooking at the moment (recovering from radiotherapy for breast cancer), but I can "chop and assemble". Any such ideas would be well received.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I'm sorry you are going through that, I hope you have a speedy recovery x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Lots of good suggestions, I agree try some more protein like meatballs, homemade chicken nuggets, nut butter. I find a platter of things to pick at is great you can put vegies/hummus and then add shredded beef or chicken, baked salmon if he'll try it. Does he like cooked tuna sushi?
    I recently tried sushi with him as he hates it ( I love it it's my fave)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For dinner he will eat anything, he's not overly fussy at dinner time and enjoys most things that we do.
    With spaghetti Bolognese, tuna bake and chicken tonight (honey mustard) being his fave.

Tonight he had basil pesto fettuccine and ate the whole lot and seconds.

So he loves pasta and rice dishes!

If we have meat & veg he will only eat his veg if they're raw.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Smoothies are also great to hide stuff in. I make them for my fella with a dash flaxseed oil, chia powder, banana, sometimes even some peanut butter. Keeps him full for ages.