+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Inactivity can also be confused with hunger.

My two don't eat substantial meals which annoys me as I feel like I'm always in the kitchen but it's ten times worse if they are not busy or entertained (aka bored!) which some days nothing entertains or satisfies them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Fruit, rice bickies and sandwiches the poor kid is probably starving. Try porridge for breakfast, introduce a dairy product with the snack and make sure there is plenty of meat/carbs with lunch and dinner.
    Yeah and he just has bread for tea too, occasionally I'll let him drink some water...coz you know, I'm that terrible.....

That's not the only thing he ever eats, I'm not a monster, he also eats yogurts and biscuits and packets of chips and probably 2 carrots a day as well as cupcakes etc as we go out for morning tea a few days a week, I was just giving an example of the things he might eat at those times!
    He nibbles in between too!

I forgot how much of a horrible mother these forums can make you feel!

He won't eat anything else for breakfast, if he can't have toast he doesn't want anything, occasionally I'll get him to eat porridge but he doesn't even get through half of it before asking for toast again.

For lunch he will have anything from eggs on toast, to toasted ham & cheese sandwiches to baked beans or spaghetti, it varies!

The platter sounds like a great idea, I'll give that one a go, things like cheese and crackers and fruits and hams???

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kissesforfive For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (28-10-2015),FirstTimeMummy2012  (28-10-2015),LoCo  (29-10-2015),Redcorset  (29-10-2015),Sethysmum  (29-10-2015),snowqu33n  (28-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He LOVES raw veg and will eat a full plate of those at dinner time, so might add those to lunch meal and snacks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Inactivity can also be confused with hunger.

My two don't eat substantial meals which annoys me as I feel like I'm always in the kitchen but it's ten times worse if they are not busy or entertained (aka bored!) which some days nothing entertains or satisfies them!
    He is such an active kid, always playing outside or we are off doing activities outside the house!

I do notice when the weather isn't great and we aren't doing a lot that he will be even worse about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter is 5 and has been like this for over a year. I found I had to up the protein in her snacks, she would eat fruit all day if she could but it doesn't fill her up. Now her snacks are usually cheese, yoghurt or smoothies. I give her boiled eggs too but she's not a huge fan of them. Sometimes it seems like she is just eating out of boredom (like tells me she is hungry 2 minutes after a big meal or snack) and I tell her if she is really hungry she can have an egg. If she's hungry she eats it, if she doesn't she can't have been that hungry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    What are his snack? Apart from fruit? Toast doesn't keep anyone full for long. Can you make healthy home made muffins, eggs, yogurt, cheese, home made chicken nuggets etc.
    Are you able to show me a recipe for home make nuggets, he loves nuggets but they're so full of oil when we buy them and I never can trust the boxed ones.

I'm not much of a baker but I can always try, I've made some of the creamed corn ones a few times but have lost the recipe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    My daughter is 5 and has been like this for over a year. I found I had to up the protein in her snacks, she would eat fruit all day if she could but it doesn't fill her up. Now her snacks are usually cheese, yoghurt or smoothies. I give her boiled eggs too but she's not a huge fan of them. Sometimes it seems like she is just eating out of boredom (like tells me she is hungry 2 minutes after a big meal or snack) and I tell her if she is really hungry she can have an egg. If she's hungry she eats it, if she doesn't she can't have been that hungry.
    He LOVES fruit smoothies and has one with his toast most mornings because I have smoothies too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissesforfive View Post
    He LOVES raw veg and will eat a full plate of those at dinner time, so might add those to lunch meal and snacks
    Maybe add humus to dip them in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep I really think a bit more protein and fats are needed in every meal and snack. Some things that you could add in that you might not have thought of....

Ground up nuts or chia seeds in his smoothies. Also maybe some cream or coconut cream. Remember that it might sound "unhealthy" for a smoothie to be so rich for you but for his age fats and oils are good.

Similarly heaps of butter and nut butters with his lunch. Avocado and cheese. Shredded chicken can be added to heaps of lunch meals too.

You could make bliss balls for snacks. In a food processor you blitz up nuts. We love almonds or cashews and chia seeds. Then add in dates (or maybe apricots). Keep blitzing and then add some coconut oil to add some fats and to get the consistency right for rolling into balls. Then roll and coat in coconut. Keep in the fridge.

I'm sorry if some of the other replies sound harsh. Tho I do agree that the type of carb based foods and snacks that you are offering would leave my son asking for more food within an hour too. Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Maybe add humus to dip them in?
    Great idea, will give it a try