+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Constantly asking for food

My 3 year old constantly asks for food, even when he's still eating a meal he will walk out with a sandwich in his hand and say "can I please have something to eat" it's an all day thing, in the car it's "can I have something to eat when we get home" I'm not even exaggerating when I say it's every 5-10 minutes that he asks, it's beginning to drive me nuts and I don't know how to stop it.
    He has 2 peices of toast for breakfast, then a piece of fruit around 9, then some rice bikkies or something around 10:30 then lunch at 12, more fruit at 1, snack around 2:30, then more fruit when the kids get home from school then dinner around 6, but inbetween this its just constant asking for food!!

Am I not feeding him enough?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I guess I'd be looking at whether his snacks are filling enough. Does he like things like yoghurt, or cheese with crackers?

I love fruit, but I've never found it to be very filling, so maybe this is why he's asking for more food? I also find when I have toast for breakfast that I'm hungrier sooner than if I say had a bowl of high fibre cereal.

Sounds like a good little eater!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd be adding more protein and good fats into his diet. My four year old is very similar, I ended up making him platters including veggies and stuff that he doesn't really favour. If he says he's hungry, he has to finish everything on his platter and have a big drink of water before he gets anything else. I figure that if he's not hungry enough to eat carrot sticks and cherry tomatoes, then he can wait until snack/lunch/dinner. If he finishes everything and he's still hungry, i keep giving him more, but I've found that he needs help to distinguish between hunger and boredom!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (28-10-2015),snowqu33n  (28-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do always give him stuff that he loves, but he wants to demolish the punnet of blueberries and leave the carrot and then ask for something else. I even know the particular tone of voice he uses and when he says "I'm..." I can jump in and point at his platter before he can even finish lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What does he eat for lunch?

Those snacks are relatively healthy but not filling.

Also, how much water does he drink?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with PP's that you need to look at the types of food he is eating to see if it is filling him up and keeping him full until the next meal.

Besides that though, I found that it was around this age where I had to set meal/snack times with my kids, as they were constantly asking for food out of habit. Breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, and dinner. Nothing in between.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is he really thirsty?
    I would change his diet up, it's not very filling.
    Eggs for breakfast would keep him going longer. Yoghurt, cheese, mini quiche.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree, I don't think his diet sounds very filling. Would he eat more at breakfast if you tried? My 20 month old DS eats loads at breakfast (big bowl of porridge with fruit or two wheetbix with fruit or scrambled eggs and toast), so much that he usually doesn't need or want a morning snack and lunch is usually small.

Thirst can often be confused as hunger as well so maybe sometimes he's thirsty?

Like others have said I would add things that are more filling, cheese/yogurt/eggs and also maybe a nut spread on the toast or humus and/or avocado.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Fruit, rice bickies and sandwiches the poor kid is probably starving. Try porridge for breakfast, introduce a dairy product with the snack and make sure there is plenty of meat/carbs with lunch and dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What are his snack? Apart from fruit? Toast doesn't keep anyone full for long. Can you make healthy home made muffins, eggs, yogurt, cheese, home made chicken nuggets etc.