+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone had to have boil lanced on child?

My DD suffers from boils and has recently gotten another one under her arm.

Seen a doctor today and has been put on antibiotics and Bactroban cream for up the nose. However she said to bring her back tomorrow if not improved to have it lanced.

Any previous boils she has had have always drained by themselves, however this one looks a bit more severe than the others so could quite possible need to be lanced.

BUT I don't want this done just at the doctors, as my mother also has had them and describes the pain as unbearable when they have to lance them.

Has anyone child had to have this done? And did they put them under to do it or was it just done at the doctors?

It is clearly very painful and she won't let us hardly look at it let alone touch it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had one done as a child and I don't recall it hurting much. A local numbing cream is applied and then it was done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My daughter had a boil lanced as a baby. It was on her bottom and she screamed and screamed all day from the pain. As it was on her bottom it was difficult to avoid touching it when I was wiping her while changing her nappy. We just had it done at the doctors surgery. She cried a bit, but it was worth it as it stopped the constant pain.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

StillHopeful  (29-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a terrible case of boils when I was 9-10. I had to have a few of them lanced and don't remember it hurting too much. I second the suggestion of using some numbing cream beforehand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son had one lanced when he was two. It was on his chin and was gross . They put him under a general to do it AND he was on morphine for the pain. Having had a few boils in my life, I will agree they are crazy painful but the relief once they burst is amazing! Bactroban up the nose did finally rid us of them! Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had 2 lanced by my dad at home! I was 6. Had one on my bottom and one on the back of my leg. The pain was absoloutely unbearable and excrutiating... doesn't even compare the childbirth! I was lucky I never got them again. I think i would have hid them had I got anymore anyway. Nothing would have been worse than the lancing for me!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I get boils whenever I wax or shave my bikini line. (Yeah, summer is fun.. )

Sometimes if they aren't going away I lance them myself, but the pain is pretty intense. I only do it because I know it will stop the constant pain- but a child can't understand that.

I think the numbing cream is a great idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used to get them all time I'm not one for hippy stuff but I cut out white sugar and took echinacea and sodium as abate I think I spelt it wrong but it's vitamin c without somethjng else. It tastes gross but worked!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had chronic boils in my late teens and was told squeezing or lancing them shouldn't be done. My sister has suffered from them even worse and the doctors haven't lanced hers either. A super strong dose of antibiotics, charcoal tablets and cleaning up my diet helped me get rid of them. My sister still gets them but she doesn't eat very well nor finish antibiotic courses so she now gets boils that are super antibiotic resistant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a skin condition that cause boils etc. Sometimes the have to lance but they normally numb the area just as they would for removing moles etc. Speak to the GP about the local... I have never had numbing cream!! Even as a child.