+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Orthorexia nervosa: when righteous eating becomes an obsession

totally agree with you @cheeeeesecake

it's like there's this competitive edge to it, which is fueled by things like Instagram and fb etc as it allows you to share (aka brag) about how healthy your meal was, how hard your work out just was etc. without social media, it's hard to maintain any kind of momentum as you'd just be talking about it constantly. which nobody wants to hear anyway. this way you can share status updates, post pics, share links to relevant articles/news stories etc. it's just way more of a platform from which to cultivate the obsession and so I think, as a consequence, it's much more extreme these days and moderation seems a thing of the past.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    On the note about cross fit. My dh is into it. He was introduced to it 7yrs ago when he was posted to Afghanistan. He was obsessed about it. Trained 2-3x a day 6x a week. Keep nagging me to cook him more food. After putting up with it for 3-4 yrs I cracked the sh!ts. With 2 little babies he was giving up family time to the gym.

So now we have a rule (when we live in the same post code) that gym times comes out of personal time unless you can take the kids. So if he goes to the gym 3x then I get the equivalent time kid free.

Urgh. So over the bloody thing. I understand that its a great work out but dh used to watch work out videos all the time, tell me about the work outs etc.
    1000000x this. There should be a support group for cross-fit widows. My DP even banged on about it throughout my entire pregnancy (during which I had hyperemesis..) saying I should take it up while preggas. Then booked me into a "beginner" class when I had a newborn. Errrrrrm nope.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Adoralicious For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-10-2015)

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I find people who obsess over food really really boring. people who hashtag the crap out of every "healthy" morsel that passes their lips. it's the same as people who only ever talk about exercise/fitness.

here's a thought: nobody cares!

lol that sounded really harsh but honestly, find something else to talk about. nobody cares about your selfish obsessions.
    Ha ha don't you know the first rule of Crossfit is to talk about Crossfit?!?!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    The person was obviously a callous d---head. Goes to show what the pp said earlier about extremists of any kind. Not really representative of everybody.

But to be honest it's pretty insensitive to ask about the child labour in fruits and vegetables. Does that actually happen in Australia?
    Definitely no child labour on Australian farms- they have to abide by the same rules as every other business. The most common group of pickers are backpackers.

I have two friends who have gone this way. Totally normal and lovely people, developed an interest in clean eating and suddenly that's all I ever see or hear from them. I hardly talk to one of them any more because not long after I had dd, my boys started prep.
    In the interests of making things easy for myself, I was baking a huge lot of biscuits for school lunches. I opened a can of condensed milk, but it was a gross colour so I posted it to fb. A lot of people posted helpful advice or funny comments, but she commented that she would never eat that "frankenfood".
    As a new mum again I wasn't getting much sleep and I was feeling under pressure to show my boys I hadn't forgot about them and so her comment was hurtful. Also the fact that she tagged in our other "healthy lifestyle" mutual friend and they had a laugh about it together was really hurtful.
    As far as I am concerned, if it turns you into a bit of a b!tch where you can say nasty stuff to vulnerable people, it's gone too far.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (29-10-2015),delirium  (29-10-2015),PomPoms  (29-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh yes...annoys the crap out of me!! (Usually because said-diets have no actual science/biochemistry behind them, yet are promoted as such).

Anyway, eat what you like, exercise in which ever mode you choose. If it works for you, that's great. And if you have friends who can put up with hearing about it constantly, you are lucky.

But please don't tell me!!!

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (29-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    Definitely no child labour on Australian farms- they have to abide by the same rules as every other business. The most common group of pickers are backpackers.

I have two friends who have gone this way. Totally normal and lovely people, developed an interest in clean eating and suddenly that's all I ever see or hear from them. I hardly talk to one of them any more because not long after I had dd, my boys started prep.
    In the interests of making things easy for myself, I was baking a huge lot of biscuits for school lunches. I opened a can of condensed milk, but it was a gross colour so I posted it to fb. A lot of people posted helpful advice or funny comments, but she commented that she would never eat that "frankenfood".
    As a new mum again I wasn't getting much sleep and I was feeling under pressure to show my boys I hadn't forgot about them and so her comment was hurtful. Also the fact that she tagged in our other "healthy lifestyle" mutual friend and they had a laugh about it together was really hurtful.
    As far as I am concerned, if it turns you into a bit of a b!tch where you can say nasty stuff to vulnerable people, it's gone too far.
    Ouch!! I hate it when people are nasty to their "friends"! I eat LCHF/paleo mostly, but I don't think any of my Facebook friends would know that. Only my fitness group friends would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i must have ortho then because my life is so boring all i do is talk about clean eating and going to veganism the earth it akes me feel good mentally

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find the 'I quit sugar' movement the most vocal in my personal social circles. Analysing every food item for the slightest trace of 'poison' sugar, whether natural in fruit,or added.