+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy obsession, but when it's affecting other aspects of your life, that's when it becomes disordered and you're walking into metal illness territory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Yeah I'm sure it probably exists, there are fundamentalists in every shade of life. It's also probably used to shame people who are passionate about their ethical or healthy food choices. The thing about organic eating, it is admirable on many levels, it's great for the people eating it and also great for the environment. Sometimes I think people see others purchasing organic or getting fit and get sh1tty about it for whatever their own reasons are. So yep, I can see it from both angles.

I'm also a bit touchy about the "obsession" label. For me, using a very strict paleo diet for a few months has pretty much healed my debilitating chronic illness. So, my obsession to "not eat out" or to "avoid grains" was actually very healthy. I did however, keep it to myself as much as possible because I felt very judged. Posting it to facebook would be last on my list of priorities.
    The title may well be used to shame but I find it's often the other way around. I was a member of a fitness group of a popular fitness 'guru' a few years ago and the orthorexic behaviour was extreme. Women that were weighing themselves daily, counting strawberries, obsessing over clean eating. One woman started a post expressing her concerns over the extreme behaviours and was told she was just fat, lazy and jealous by about 100 women. Then booted. And anyone that questions anything gets the same treatment.

I don't think keeping to a strict diet for a medical condition is the same. I suspect you are strict bc you fear the symptoms/issues returning not bc your beliefs on food are so rigid generally?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I have someone on my FB who I genuinely believe has Orthorexia. She used to be a lovely girl. Now she's just this hollow, annoying Mean Girl. I counted once and she had 45 consecutive statuses directly about the gym, fitness or her eating. Selfies of her working out, her food every night. How much weight she'd lost. Not one single non health related post for 2 months! People clearly started saying things bc then there was this whole series of passive-aggressive statuses and memes about how those criticising her were jealous, and needed to run their fat butts on the treadmill to look as good as her blah blah. She was put on hide some time ago bc she drove me nuts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read a comment once responding to a person questioning vegans being all about anti-cruelty, but not caring about the child labor that goes into picking fruits and vegetables and some ******** responded saying those kids deserved to suffer because they probably eat meat. Flabbergasting.

Kinda off topic, kinda not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    I read a comment once responding to a person questioning vegans being all about anti-cruelty, but not caring about the child labor that goes into picking fruits and vegetables and some ******** responded saying those kids deserved to suffer because they probably eat meat. Flabbergasting.

Kinda off topic, kinda not.
    The person was obviously a callous d---head. Goes to show what the pp said earlier about extremists of any kind. Not really representative of everybody.

But to be honest it's pretty insensitive to ask about the child labour in fruits and vegetables. Does that actually happen in Australia?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I definitely think it's a thing. Whilst I enjoy seeing healthy recipes and photos from time to time it annoys me when people get preachy. Like they are somehow better because they are vegan/paleo/whatever. Like they think the can single handedly change the world by convincing everyone else that their dietary preferences are inferior.

I think it's because we have so much choice in the 'first world'. If we all lived in Somalia and had no choice but to eat rice all day I don't think anyone would be complaining about the carb content or lack of organic. Just sayin.

I don't have a problem with people wanting to better themselves or experiment with diets, or share interesting recipes or (occasionally) nicely arranged foody pics. But there's definitely a line where it becomes obsessive and takes over their lives - which is not healthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I find people who obsess over food really really boring. people who hashtag the crap out of every "healthy" morsel that passes their lips. it's the same as people who only ever talk about exercise/fitness.

here's a thought: nobody cares!

lol that sounded really harsh but honestly, find something else to talk about. nobody cares about your selfish obsessions.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (28-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    On the note about cross fit. My dh is into it. He was introduced to it 7yrs ago when he was posted to Afghanistan. He was obsessed about it. Trained 2-3x a day 6x a week. Keep nagging me to cook him more food. After putting up with it for 3-4 yrs I cracked the sh!ts. With 2 little babies he was giving up family time to the gym.

So now we have a rule (when we live in the same post code) that gym times comes out of personal time unless you can take the kids. So if he goes to the gym 3x then I get the equivalent time kid free.

Urgh. So over the bloody thing. I understand that its a great work out but dh used to watch work out videos all the time, tell me about the work outs etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    On the note about cross fit. My dh is into it. He was introduced to it 7yrs ago when he was posted to Afghanistan. He was obsessed about it. Trained 2-3x a day 6x a week. Keep nagging me to cook him more food. After putting up with it for 3-4 yrs I cracked the sh!ts. With 2 little babies he was giving up family time to the gym.

So now we have a rule (when we live in the same post code) that gym times comes out of personal time unless you can take the kids. So if he goes to the gym 3x then I get the equivalent time kid free.

Urgh. So over the bloody thing. I understand that its a great work out but dh used to watch work out videos all the time, tell me about the work outs etc.
    I go at 5am when my whole family is still asleep. I get home just as they are waking.

Neither DH nor I have hobbies that impact on the other or the family in a detrimental way. As I said I would love to train as much as that as I see the most amazing results in myself and I feel so much more patient and calmer but I couldn't and wouldn't do that to my family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree there's nothing wrong with being healthy,its when it turns in to an obsessio AND it is shoved in your face that is annoying. I must admit I feel my eyes glazw over and my brain totally tune out whenever I hear meantion of the word 'cross fit'....I could not be less interested in cross fit as a topic of conversation. I mean, its exercise,right? You dont hear me going on about my run on the treadmill last night with a play by play! Anyway, I think there is so much conflicting info out there these days that we barely know what 'healthy' is anymore. Moderation seems to have gone completely out the window.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

J37  (29-10-2015)