+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

Default Orthorexia nervosa: when righteous eating becomes an obsession

With all the 'overweight' and health threads lately I've been thinking about the rise in Orthorexia which I have noticed greatly the last 5 years in particular. I find it interesting that while obesity levels are at all time highs, we also have a proportion of the population so obsessed with healthy eating it's become the new ED.

The cross fit classes, clean eating, paleo, organic, high carb vegan diets are sending people out of control with disordered thinking about eating and food. They drive their FB friends bonkers with 453 photos of them posing at the gym and of their paleo dinners. They are losing friends bc they refuse to eat out lest they eat something bad and their partners have ear plugs in rather than listen the the lecturing about the evil meat pie they ate for lunch. They can't stop thinking and obsessing over healthy eating to the point it's affecting their lives.

It is currently not part of the DSM but I read a while ago it was to be added to the next edition.

http://theconversation.com/orthorexi...bsession-36484

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh yes...I definitely think Orthorexia is a thing. Anyone heard of Freelee The Banana Girl? She's vegan and used to suffer from other eating disorders and basically just exchanged one for the other. The worst part is that she has quite a large following, many young girls who have also suffered eating disorders and she thinks because she promotes "healthly, cruelty free" eating, it's not a disorder. She is OBSESSED with food.

There is way too much scare mongering these days and it's honestly doing more harm than good.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Oh dear Freelee She is a perfect example of 'healthy' disordered thinking about food. She's become even more OTT and rather aggressive these days I see. Us meat eaters don't deserve to live lol I should add I was vego bordering on vegan for a decade so I've lived that lifestyle, just not to the point it was a negative effect.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Seoul  (31-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think when it becomes all-consuming to the point where you are obsessing over every meal and repeatedly showcasing your toned physical appearance on social media, then yes, it's an ED.

I have nothing against people wanting to be really healthy - good luck to them and good for them if it makes them happy. But when that becomes pretty much all that you are about, then you've got a problem.

Being completely obsessed or addicted to something does not make for a well-rounded human being.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior  (28-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Well as someone who has this year become addicted to X fit I see why it becomes an addiction. My body has been transformed and I feel amazing. I train about 4 hours a week and wish I could do 8. It is highly addictive.

But I also have about 1000000 other things happening In my life. And I know everyone else does too. So I keep it to myself and if people ask me why I look so different then I'll talk about it.

I think the over sharing exists these days because of the social networks people create online. My X fit group has a private Facebook page and they are really normal people who eat and drink normal food (except the trainers - they are paleo crazy).

I get sick of people being focused on only one thing in their lives, be it their job, their kids or the diet and lifestyle. It's just not very interesting to me to be honest.
    Last edited by Sonja; 28-10-2015 at 13:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Well as someone who has this year become addicted to X fit I see why it becomes an addiction. My body has been transformed and I feel amazing. I train about 4 hours a week and wish I could do 8. It is highly addictive.

But I also have about 1000000 other things happening In my life. And I know everyone else does too. So I keep it to myself and if people ask me why I look so different then I'll talk about it.

I think the over sharing exists these days because of the social networks people create online. My X fit group has a private Facebook page and they are really normal people who eat and drink normal food (except the trainers - they are paleo crazy).

I get sick of people being focused on only one thing in their lives, be it their job, their kids or the diet and lifestyle. It's just not very interesting to me to be honest.
    Just out of curiosity, have you lost weight or just toned?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    With all the 'overweight' and health threads lately I've been thinking about the rise in Orthorexia which I have noticed greatly the last 5 years in particular. I find it interesting that while obesity levels are at all time highs, we also have a proportion of the population so obsessed with healthy eating it's become the new ED.

The cross fit classes, clean eating, paleo, organic, high carb vegan diets are sending people out of control with disordered thinking about eating and food. They drive their FB friends bonkers with 453 photos of them posing at the gym and of their paleo dinners. They are losing friends bc they refuse to eat out lest they eat something bad and their partners have ear plugs in rather than listen the the lecturing about the evil meat pie they ate for lunch. They can't stop thinking and obsessing over healthy eating to the point it's affecting their lives.

It is currently not part of the DSM but I read a while ago it was to be added to the next edition.

http://theconversation.com/orthorexi...bsession-36484

Thoughts?
    I think some people like that just need their life validated somehow?

I have been through phases where I would post how many calories I burnt during my gym session. But I was in a weight loss challenge with about 35 friends, and came third Now I don't even wear my heart rate monitor anymore For the record, this was one of my personal bests
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1446005147.075184.jpg

But the extent some people go to is pretty mind boggling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Just out of curiosity, have you lost weight or just toned?
    Not sure. I actually never weigh myself these days as I would rather focus on how I feel than what I weigh. I started it as I had a 9cm stomach separation after my 4th Caesarian and felt like I was still 6 months pregnant. I hated my stomach.

My separation is now down to 1cm. I also do Pilates once a week which would have helped.

When I started I was squeezing in to size 12 pants. Now they fit me well with quite a bit of looseness. I could go to a 10 but have no interest in buying new clothes so am happy with that.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i agree, there seems to be a new craze and new information all the time, about this or that being the best and the greatest. The new report about bacon and processed meats, causing cancers.!!! a different cause each week for cancer or whatever else. If the only thing you can talk about is food or related to food , I think you have a problem. I support anyone who wants to be healthy, and anyone who takes up a regular exercise program, that is great, but it is really not something that everyone is interested in, or needs to know about in the smallest details. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah I'm sure it probably exists, there are fundamentalists in every shade of life. It's also probably used to shame people who are passionate about their ethical or healthy food choices. The thing about organic eating, it is admirable on many levels, it's great for the people eating it and also great for the environment. Sometimes I think people see others purchasing organic or getting fit and get sh1tty about it for whatever their own reasons are. So yep, I can see it from both angles.

I'm also a bit touchy about the "obsession" label. For me, using a very strict paleo diet for a few months has pretty much healed my debilitating chronic illness. So, my obsession to "not eat out" or to "avoid grains" was actually very healthy. I did however, keep it to myself as much as possible because I felt very judged. Posting it to facebook would be last on my list of priorities.
    Last edited by BornToBe; 28-10-2015 at 14:25.