+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default ENT surgery

Ds is having his adenoids, tonsils and grommets out in three weeks I'm so nervous!!

Can I have some tips on the grommets DS will be two in February and he's very sensory doesn't like hats or anything on his face. Still doesn't like food etc... I'm really stressed out 😱😱😱

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS had his first set of grommets at 18 months, he also had his adenoids out. The first set lasted around 8 months
    He had 2nd surgery in feb of this year at 30 months for all three tonsils, grommets and adenoids.

After grommet surgery they need to wear ear plugs and a band whenever bathing or going swimming. It took DS a couple of weeks to get used to it.
    I get DS the Little Grommets ones as I have personally found them the best and there is a ton of helpful advice on their website. They are dinosaur print too which DS loves and it has made it easier to get him to wear it.

I brought DS a book of book depository about having his tonsils out, I found it helped him understand.

Don't stress, you will notice such a difference in your DS after the surgery Ours has come ahead in leaps! He wasn't walking before first surgery, had balance problems from all the ear infections, 3 weeks later he was up and running! After 2nd surgery his speech has improved 100% we are now dealing with the 3yo not listening stage....

The nursing staff and dr's are amazing and really help to put your fears at bay. DS loved that he got to eat lots of jelly and ice cream for the first couple of days, but then lived on Potato chips (chicken flavour).

Good luck, you will get through it xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my boy was 18 months when he had his grommets in and adenoids out.

Best thing I can suggest is to buy putty buddies. I tried quite a few different types, even got special made fitted ones that cost a fortune because I thought for sure they'd be the best option. Putty Buddies beats everything else hands down. Like your boy, mine hates hats/caps/bands so I couldn't use a band to keep his putty in, but this stuff just doesn't fall out. I've never had it fall out once, it is the bomb. I do have the ear bandit band, but I never bother using it. And my boy who is now 2.5 SWIMS hard, dives, jumps, bomb dives. They never fall out and he never gets water in his ears.

https://www.priceline.com.au/putty-b...-plugs-3-pairs

ETA - the Little Grommets brand of putty and head band that hoping28 recommended and the putty buddies/ear bandit brand I recommended are basically exactly the same, so we've pretty much recommended the same thing just different brands Floating ear putty is the bomb. Dont bother with ear plugs.
    Last edited by CazHazKidz; 28-10-2015 at 13:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you our ENT is great so I will ask. Dd had same surgery but not ears as hers were too small at the time.

He's walking etc and even talking basically fluently so I didn't even think anything was wrong so when I had the app I felt awful I thought it was his tonsils when in fact it's his adenoids and grommets.