Unschooled bubhubbers? | Page 20 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I send my child to a mainstream school. He is happy and is doing well. I also know of homeschooled children who are happy and doing well. The education system is not a one size fits all approach.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

ClaireI  (22-08-2016),Homeschooling4  (08-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    But where do you draw the line (A general you, not you specifically)?
    In a country where education is at our fingertips, and a curriculum based on years of practice that is (mostly) successful, should parents be able to potentially give their children a lesser chance?
    I'm a teacher and, in most circumstances I'm not a fan of home/unschooling. But don't get me started on curriculum!

The point of my post was, many unschooling parents would read you post and say "a lesser chance at what? To be a corporate slave?" It's just a very different mindset.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

ClaireI  (22-08-2016),Homeschooling4  (04-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys I don't normally post but maybe I could add something from the prospective of the "unschooled" child. My parents decided when I was 7 and my brother 6 to sell the house and all of our belongings and see the world. We did very little text book schooling. We had to keep a journal of our travels and every now and then mum would get us a math book. We returned to Australian when I was 15, grade 10. I was so far behind the other kids to this day I would have no idea what adjectives or nouns are have no idea about grammar. But I had a lot of life skills so work around it I knew uni was a long shot but loved cooking so after year 12 I did a cookery apprenticeship. I was the youngest head chef in my company and only female. I'm now married with children (on maternity leave). My brother did grade 8 onwards went to uni and is now a pharmaceutical distribution manager very high income.

So am I angry at my parents for my lack of early education?
    Yes I feel limited in what I can achieve.

Would I take back my childhood?
    Not for a minute! I've picked fruit in Israel, hosted English tours of Cairo, milked goats in Italy I lived a life people dream of at the expense of my education.

Would I do this with my children?

No way a formal education is so important in whatever structure works for the child.

6. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to CharlieDE For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (04-07-2016),BettyV  (04-07-2016),BlackDiamond  (04-07-2016),Candiceo  (08-07-2016),ClaireI  (22-08-2016),Foxy  (04-07-2016),Frankenmum  (04-07-2016),Full House  (04-07-2016),Gentoo  (04-07-2016),mrsboyts  (04-07-2016),Ngaiz  (04-07-2016),Olive Oil  (04-07-2016),rosey82  (06-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (04-07-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (04-07-2016),VicPark  (05-07-2016),Wise Enough  (04-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    changed my mind
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 04-07-2016 at 18:25.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I would never homeschool my child - but that is because
    a - I dont have the patience/ability to do it, and
    b - my child is fairly easy and fits into mainstream schooling well.

I totally understand why other parents who have children in different circumstances would choose homeschooling, why that might be the best option (or sometimes the only option).

That to me is a totally different ball game to unschooling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDE View Post
    Hi guys I don't normally post but maybe I could add something from the prospective of the "unschooled" child. My parents decided when I was 7 and my brother 6 to sell the house and all of our belongings and see the world. We did very little text book schooling. We had to keep a journal of our travels and every now and then mum would get us a math book. We returned to Australian when I was 15, grade 10. I was so far behind the other kids to this day I would have no idea what adjectives or nouns are have no idea about grammar. But I had a lot of life skills so work around it I knew uni was a long shot but loved cooking so after year 12 I did a cookery apprenticeship. I was the youngest head chef in my company and only female. I'm now married with children (on maternity leave). My brother did grade 8 onwards went to uni and is now a pharmaceutical distribution manager very high income.

So am I angry at my parents for my lack of early education?
    Yes I feel limited in what I can achieve.

Would I take back my childhood?
    Not for a minute! I've picked fruit in Israel, hosted English tours of Cairo, milked goats in Italy I lived a life people dream of at the expense of my education.

Would I do this with my children?

No way a formal education is so important in whatever structure works for the child.
    Thanks Charlie this is the sort of info i was after.