+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 196
  1. #171
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,023
    Thanks
    5,460
    Thanked
    4,397
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @Homeschooling4 Sorry if you've already answered, but what made you switch from home schooling to unschooling?

  2. #172
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,839
    Thanks
    6,199
    Thanked
    16,883
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    Whoops, I should have been more clear. They fell below grade level.

    http://www.parentingscience.com/home...-outcomes.html
    Interesting that structured curriculum home schoolers performed really well, but unschoolers were 4 whole years behind in maths. That's pretty scary

  3. #173
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,023
    Thanks
    5,460
    Thanked
    4,397
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Interesting that structured curriculum home schoolers performed really well, but unschoolers were 4 whole years behind in maths. That's pretty scary
    I'm not surprised. Maths, beyond basic addition and subtraction, isn't something I would assume many children naturally gravitate towards.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

    cheeeeesecake  (04-07-2016)

  5. #174
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Sure, I get your point and I completely agree with you. As individuals we need different things educationally, and unfortunately yes, money helps (don't even gets me started on the equality debate lol)

    But I guess my point is there are options other than unschooling. Many public schools are becoming very diverse learning environments. There are the above schools popping up everywhere. I kind of place unschoolers in a category similar to anti vaxxers and imho it's not beneficial for kids.
    Again I can only speak from what I know but accessing state schools outside your zone is virtually impossible where we live. Our local state high school which is supposed to be brilliant has 2500 kids and won't take out of zone. It barely copes with what it has. Same for many primary schools. So it becomes hard.

    I don't know about unschooling it has zero appeal for me. Is it actually allowed?

  6. #175
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,860
    Thanks
    1,248
    Thanked
    1,444
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But isn't your DD in a steiner/Montessori/IB school Sonya? There is a huge difference between that and unschooling. The former still has qualified staff, and while it is often self directed learning it is within a basic curriculum framework. There is also accountability with these alternative schools. There is none with unschooling. If there was there would be issues bc homeschoolers are meant to stick to a curriculum, US's don't do that so how do they get away with that? Clearly bc there is no monitoring or accountability.
    Yes, there is monitoring and accountability. If you are a registered home educator (and not registering is illegal), then you are required to submit your learning program to the governing body which differs in each state. "Unschooling" learning programs are approved in many states and monitored by yearly growth/performance standards by the external governing body, just like all homeschooling programs.

  7. #176
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,839
    Thanks
    6,199
    Thanked
    16,883
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Yes, there is monitoring and accountability. If you are a registered home educator (and not registering is illegal), then you are required to submit your learning program to the governing body which differs in each state. "Unschooling" learning programs are approved in many states and monitored by yearly growth/performance standards by the external governing body, just like all homeschooling programs.
    What does a learning program involve? And how do they measure yearly growth without professional assessment and testing?

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    SSecret Squirrel  (04-07-2016)

  9. #177
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,008
    Thanks
    777
    Thanked
    771
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    I'm not surprised. Maths, beyond basic addition and subtraction, isn't something I would assume many children naturally gravitate towards.
    Fractions may get a look in in cooking. Telling the time, shapes and very basic algebra could potentially be covered.

    I can't imagine multivariant calculus or matrices and vectors coming up in a conversation and then triggering a desire in a teen to find out more on their own volition.

    Which gets back to something I touched on earlier. I don't understand how unschooled children can access tertiary education without a massive catchup program. Yes there are tertiary bridging programs, but are they a substitute for prerequisite subjects that a lot of degrees require especially in the STEM degrees. I can't imagine an unschooled child would have the requisite chemistry, physics and maths skills to tackle a degree in engineering for example.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 04-07-2016 at 14:27.

  10. #178
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,860
    Thanks
    1,248
    Thanked
    1,444
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    What does a learning program involve? And how do they measure yearly growth without professional assessment and testing?
    Honestly, if you really want to learn about it, look it up. If you google "Homeschoooling authority VIC" you will find exact information on the how and why families are approved to homeschool their children in that state, and so on.

  11. #179
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,860
    Thanks
    1,248
    Thanked
    1,444
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Fractions may get a look in in cooking. Telling the time, shapes and very basic algebra could potentially be covered.

    I can't imagine multivariant calculus or matrices and vectors coming up in a conversation and then triggering a desire in a teen to find out more on their own volition.

    Which gets back to something I touched on earlier. I don't understand how unschooled children can access tertiary education without a massive catchup program. Yes there are tertiary bridging programs, but are they a substitute for prerequisite subjects that a lot of degrees require especially in the STEM degrees. I can't imagine an unschooled child would have the requisite chemistry, physics and maths skills to tackle a degree in engineering for example.
    The theory being that if a child shows an interest ir propensity toward that subject, they would be enrolled in specialist classes to ensure the gap is not too wide to enter university and study it. The thing is, there is no time limit to learning. Take me, again. I screwed up at school. Does that mean I can NEVER be an engineer? Of course not.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

    Homeschooling4  (04-07-2016)

  13. #180
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I also view education through the prism of my age. Being in my mid 40s I have a lot of friends who retrained in completely different fields in their late 30s and early 40s. My father studied languages when he was in his 40s and now has degrees in French German and Russian.

    We hear so often that people don't know what they want to do with their lives and fall in to careers because they didn't know what else to do. I did law because I didn't want to do medicine. Simple as that. Once I became a lawyer I hated it. I've had periods where I like it and at the moment I love my job but how does a 15 year old know what they want to be?

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    binnielici  (04-07-2016),smallpotatoes  (04-07-2016),Stretched  (04-07-2016)


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pyjamas.com.au
With so many gorgeous brands and styles for every season, our pyjamas, nighties, robes, sleepsuits and sleeping bags are lovely for lights out and perfect for lazy days. Get 10% off first order using code bubhub. Be quick offer ends 31/12/16.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
HuggleBib
The HuggleBib is not "just another" baby bib. Sure, your child may be a messy eater who gets more food ON them rather than IN them, so you dread cleaning after feeding times! Well the HuggleBib is THE best solution to help with all these daily tasks!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!