Unschooled bubhubbers? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Unschooled bubhubbers?

Just come across a family that unschools. It's new to me. Initially I'm skeptical so i was just wondering if anyone here has been raised in an unschooled environment themselves ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I don't know anyone that has been unschooled but remember watching a segment on ACA / TT a few years ago where a family was unschooled and they were illiterate and really struggled with getting work. I think only 1 of the 4 adult boys actually had a job. From my understanding, it really is not appropriate for anyone wanting to enter mainstream society.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has direct experience with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

A friend of mine 'unschools'. Her children are very bright, happy and sociable kids. They are moderated from the Department like other homeschooled children and are doing well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I don't know anyone that has been unschooled but remember watching a segment on ACA / TT a few years ago where a family was unschooled and they were illiterate and really struggled with getting work. I think only 1 of the 4 adult boys actually had a job. From my understanding, it really is not appropriate for anyone wanting to enter mainstream society.

I am personally against unschooling but I wouldn't trust aca to report fairly. They probably chose the biggest dregs of society to show to Australia.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

JR03  (27-10-2015),VicPark  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I personally wouldn't do it but to each his own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I am personally against unschooling but I wouldn't trust aca to report fairly. They probably chose the biggest dregs of society to show to Australia.
    Lol good point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquillah View Post
    A friend of mine 'unschools'. Her children are very bright, happy and sociable kids. They are moderated from the Department like other homeschooled children and are doing well.
    Not homeschool, i mean no government involvement at all or any sort of moderation. Off the grid 100%. I was just wondering how adults turn out who have been raised in this environment, so was wondering if any bubhub ppl were raised like this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post

I think this was the story? On 60 minutes.

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/a...spx?id=8817372

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello we have just started unschooling,,. We are in the deschooling process..
    We we've been homeschooling for a while though.
    Last edited by Homeschooling4; 01-07-2016 at 11:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought all children over 6 years old had to be enrolled in some form of education in Australia. How do you meet the legal obligations if you do no schooling whatsoever? Just curious.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (23-02-2016)