+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds was one or two weeks old. It was done at my obs office and they took him into another room to do it then brought him back so I could feed him.
    He was perfectly fine after but I found with my hormones still in overdrive I was a mess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As for what others think. It really has nothing to do with them. My family has it done but my dhs doesnt.
    I only spoke a out it with those I know did it for their sons

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like how it was to watch
    when did you get it done?
    (upto 4 weeks is what the clinics in my area do)

The Dr did it the week after he was born for my second, my first got done while we were still in hospital when he was four days old.
    We didn't watch - the Dr prefers that it is just he and the nurse.
    They told us not to feed for an hour or two before hand as they give them a sugary drink, I think maybe glucose before they do it. It creates a sugar high for the baby and it minimises the pain. They also give a panadol.

Both boys were fine afterwards. We did the plastic bell thing, it didn't have any dressings or anything and falls off after a few days. you don't need to do anything for a week (I think) after and then I went back to the Dr and he showed me how to push it back and apply Vaseline to stop the foreskin from reattaching.
    DS 1 had no issues at all and didn't even notice when he was changed and bathed.
    DS 2 had a little bit of bleeding after a day or two but didn't seem to be in pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had our son done after doctors advise. He was done at 15 days old as it was Christmas/New Years otherwise it would have been inside two weeks that is the preferred timeframe here. I handed him over at the hospital and he was brought back to me about 20 minutes later. So no watching. He was hysterical when he came back to me and I bf him straight away. He was out of sorts for the rest of the day. They used the plastibell but in future if we had to do it again we would avoid this method. We ended up in the ER that evening as the bleeding hadn't stopped so he had to have a stitch put in. Recovery was about 3 weeks so much longer than expected due to his complications. He also had to have a small piece that never came away with the rest cauterized a few weeks later. It ended up a very traumatic experience all around and one I am in no hurry to repeat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like @purplepoppy I was also a mess afterwards. I still feel horrible about it almost 2 years on. I also only spoke to those I knew who had done it as I found the judgement from others too much to bare during that delicate post part in period.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Like how it was to watch
    I stayed with him while he got the local anaesthetic, the nurse has to hold him down obviously, and he got very upset. So that wasn't very nice, but no different to holding them for vaccinations really. Then I was sent out to wait.

when did you get it done?
    (upto 4 weeks is what the clinics in my area do)

Dr preferred under 6 weeks I think? Or was it 4... In any case, I remember I was one week late in organising it, but he did it anyway.

how was the recovery? Fine. No problems. I think the first day he was a bit cranky at nappy changes, so had paracetamol, but was fine after that.

what you needed to do after? Had to soak the dressing off in the bath that night or maybe next night. Vaseline on it while it healed, about a week.

how it healed and how long it took to heal? See above.

How your baby reacted (was he in pain when you changed him and bathed him) As above, cranky with being held down. When they brought him out I breastfed him straight away. He fell asleep and was ok after that.

I'm in western Sydney looking at Dr Blumenthal and Dr Merkur. I saw Dr Dilley, he was in Menai at the time but PP mentioned him at Randwick now.

Edit- our Dr didn't do plastibell. Just cut. Quick and over and done with IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, it made me feel better about our decision. I don't get why a lot of people are against it, but i will take your advice and not talk about it with people that don't approve or agree.

Thanks for your input.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Circumcision advice mums that have been through it

Quote Originally Posted by JplusR View Post
    . I don't get why a lot of people are against it,.
    If this is something you want to explore before your son is circumcised feel free to create a separate thread asking this question - no doubt plenty of people on the hub will be happy to provide clarification.
    - just brace yourself if you take this path

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-10-2015),BettyV  (28-10-2015),Chillies  (27-10-2015),MonkeyMumma  (29-10-2015),Ngaiz  (27-10-2015),snowqu33n  (27-10-2015),TheGooch  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If this is something you want to explore before your son is circumcised feel free to create a separate thread asking this question - no doubt plenty of people on the hub will be happy to provide clarification.
    - just brace yourself if you take this path
    I mean we are pretty much set my SO is 100% wanting to do it. Which I guess is his culture and I'm just as happy about it. So I don't feel the need to post that question for all the negative comments.

But thanks anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @VicPark I mean we are pretty much set my SO is 100% wanting to do it. Which I guess is his culture and I'm just as happy about it. So I don't feel the need to post that question for all the negative comments.

But thanks anyway.