+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Circumcision advice mums that have been through it

Hi

Me and my SO are pretty set on circumcising our son when he is born, I was just wondering if any mothers who have done this with their son/son's would give me some input on their experience...

Like how it was to watch
    when did you get it done?
    (upto 4 weeks is what the clinics in my area do)

how was the recovery?
    what you needed to do after?
    how it healed and how long it took to heal?
    How your baby reacted (was he in pain when you changed him and bathed him)

I'm in western Sydney looking at Dr Blumenthal and Dr Merkur.

Thanks ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Circumcision advice mums that have been through it

Like how it was to watch
    I found it ok. Bub was given a nerve block and that's when he cried. He didn't like the needle. He got to have some boobie while waiting for that to kick in. After that he just looked up at the nurse who was holding him for the procedure while she spoke to him and gooed and gahed. I just had boobie ready for when he hopped up so he could soothe. We didn't stick our noses right in there but we were in the room.

when did you get it done?
    6 weeks old

how was the recovery?
    Fine, I have him Panadol for two days to be sure but it didn't bother him

what you needed to do after?
    You need to remove a gauze bandage the next day in the bath which is a bit tricky as its sticky and you are scared of hurting them. You need to apply vaso to the area at nappy changes so it doesn't stick to the nappy whilst healing.

how it healed and how long it took to heal?
    It took about 5 days to stop being a 'wound' and then was just a bit swollen and purple. About two weeks later it was back to his skin colour and healed.

How your baby reacted (was he in pain when you changed him and bathed him)
    He didn't seem to be. I found he generally cried at nappy changes anyway so it was hard to tell. We were very mindful of when to give him Panadol, a dose half an hour before a bath etc. we tried to 'melt' the vasoline on our finger before applying it other wise it clumps up and you have to push harder for it to spread.

I'm in western Sydney looking at Dr Blumenthal and Dr Merkur.
    We got it done in Randwick by Dr Dilley.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @JplusR I know a lot of ppl I have come across are anti circ. but we felt it was best for our situation, so to answer your q.

1. We didn't watch, the Dr did not allow it and bub was taken away for the procedure and bought back 15 mins later. He was happy and not crying upon his return to us. His circ was done using the plastibell system (much cleaner/faster/neater)
    2. Aftercare was to put an antibiotic cream on 2 x a day (chlorsig) and change and bath as normal.
    3. The plastibell took 10 days to fall off.
    4. My son did not display any signs of pain from the procedure. They numb the groin area first with a local so there was no immediate pain, and he didnt seem to have any once it wore off either. He was 6 weeks old when it was done.

Good luck with your choice. The Dr you choose is very important, you want to know how many/how often they do the procedure and whether they have had any complications from their procedures. Our Dr gave us his mobile number to call if there were any concerns.
    Last edited by KitiK; 27-10-2015 at 14:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @heplusme thank you, that was very good information for me and very honest.

Did you find anyone didn't agree with your decision. My mum is saying its a waste of money. Doesn't sound very supportive about it. My brothers aren't circumstanced but my partner is. I wanted our son circumstanced before I even asked my partner, I think it's cleaner and looks better, and on top of that I think it's a culture thing for my SO he's an islander and got his done at the age of 8 in a ceremony.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JplusR View Post
    @heplusme thank you, that was very good information for me and very honest.

Did you find anyone didn't agree with your decision. My mum is saying its a waste of money. Doesn't sound very supportive about it. My brothers aren't circumstanced but my partner is. I wanted our son circumstanced before I even asked my partner, I think it's cleaner and looks better, and on top of that I think it's a culture thing for my SO he's an islander and got his done at the age of 8 in a ceremony.
    No no one has ever been unsupportive. No one knows unless you tell them anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @KitiK thanks, both doctors have over 30 years experience. How old was your little guy when he got it done !

Thanks
    Reviews
    6 weeks - it was just before his 6 week check up (I originally wrote 2, but that wasn't right!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @KitiK lol sorry I just saw you said 6 weeks earlier.

One clinic said they will only do it up until 2weeks and the other says up until 4 weeks they won't do it passed then, but I heard the earlier the better because the skin gets harder or thicker something like that?

Who knows I guess every doctor is different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dr was under 10 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS had his done at 9wks, the dr we chose usually likes them to be between 4&8wks but he was away on leave when our DS was in that bracket.

Ours was done at the local priv hospital so the nurses took DS in the theatre and returned him to us approx 15min later.
    He was not distressed at all which was reassuring.