+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 3 under 3, is it really THAT crazy?

I have 2 boys, 20 months apart, and LOVE my age gap. We are wanting a similar age gap between 2 & 3 and keep getting remarks about how crazy we are, how difficult it'll be, etc etc. we would technically have 3 under 3.5 and It'd mean we get a few months with everyone at home before DS1 starts school 2.5 days a week, to bond, get the new baby sleeping well etc.

I'd love to hear any feedback or tips from people who may have had similar age gaps or experiences. I don't find my 2U2 difficult at all, so I'm hoping adding one more won't make too big of a difference??

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is your youngest?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Currently ten months. DS1 was 11 months when DS2 was conceived.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Having 2 under 2 wasn't overly difficult for me, but three under 4 was really hard. A challenging baby and constantly dividing yourself between three babies (essentially), was a big challenge. I'd do it again, because when they all hit school age it's great, but if I had my time again I'd put the older two in care...three days a week for the oldest child, two days a week for the middle child. It was just nuts having them all home all the time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Lovemysons  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    We currently have three under four - 21 months between DS1 and DS2, and 23 months between DS2 and DD. DD is 8 weeks old and it's been quite easy actually. I also found having two under two was also really doable, obviously it's busy and crazy and sometimes the house is a mess, and the older kids watch a lot of TV but it's wonderful.

I definitely think a lot of it comes down to your kids' personalities, and my three all seem to be pretty easygoing and the boys have adapted to the changes brilliantly. There's been no jealousy and they're really helpful, even my just turned two year old loves to grab nappies when I ask.

The boys still go to childcare two days a week, and next year DS1 will go to preschool five days a fortnight. Those two days allow me to chill with DD and get things under control at home. I try to get out every morning that I have all three at home with me, that way we don't go crazy being stuck at home, and the house doesn't get too trashed.

Before DD was born I filled our upright freezer with 50-60 meals so eight weeks down the track I still don't need to cook. We had my Mum stay with me for the first two weeks which was great, she kept the house ticking over whilst we adjusted, so if you can have some help, do it.

I was really scared about going from two to three as all I'd heard were horror stories but it's been great. I can't wait to see them all grow up together close in age, and I love that less than four years after our first baby we are done!

ETA: I will add - with three it is relentless, there's not a great deal of down time, but it's wonderful!
    Last edited by Hamilicious; 27-10-2015 at 11:56.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

Lovemysons  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first 3 in under 3 years and absolutely loved it! Don't get me wrong, times were busy and some days were challenging but I wouldn't ever change it. All 3 would have a nap at the same time so I could chill and watch a show or catch up on some cleaning and play together the other times. They have all grown up with the strongest bond too and I believe that's because they've always been together with such a small gap. I went on to have a 4th, born a few days after DD1 turned 5.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Lovemysons  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there I had 3 under 3. 15 months between first DD and DS and then 18 months between DS and DD2. I found the transition slit easier then 1-2. My DD2 is 4 months now And I am finding it harder now then when she was first born. DD1 is 3 years and no longer having naps so u miss the down time. Also the baby although happy to stay awake longer and watch older siblings, is taking harder to settle to sleep.
    I have mine home with me full time. It is hard work and you get no down time- someone always need something!

I find the days when I am tired hard but good days or moments are just so special. They all adore each other and we are hoping to have another just as close so will have 4 under 5.

Happy to answer any questions about how my day works if need.

Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mandmbaby For This Useful Post:

Lovemysons  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 1st was 3.5 when my 3rd was born, and I have loved every second of it

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Lovemysons  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, I think with my boy's personalities that we will be fine. I will be home full time with them until the youngest starts school. It's nice to hear some positive experiences. I feel as if all the articles I've read make it sound horrific, but I think people forget to mention how amazing it is as well, and must write these things after a rough day.

Even with just 2 kids I have those challenging days due to teeth or sickness, but majority of the days are amazing and I'd rather a close age gap again rather than having my third a lot younger than the boys, feeling left out.

My mind was already made up before posting this, but it's nice to hear that most women who have 3 under 3 or 4 have loved it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had ds3 the same week ds1 turned 4.

I love it, but it was very challenging.

Ds1 was always a poor sleeper, and ds3 definitely had a 4th trimester where he had to be attached to me- and the carrier didn't cut it. Plus he didn't transfer well so the mummy guilt over getting him out of bed to take ds1 to preschool was a killer.

Once sleep got sorted, it was 'ok'. It can still be tough but I've also learnt to chill out a bit more and my eldest 2 have to help now with chores that are manageable.

Routine is key. Without it, we'd have 3 crazy animals rather than half-decent (lol) little boys.

I wouldn't change it for the world though, it's bliss.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Lovemysons  (27-10-2015)