+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Equal pay day is today!

Another side to this I see at my work is that it's the men and women without children who (generally - there are exceptions) stay back late and come in on the weekends when it's really busy and also who are willing to travel interstate and overseas. Hence they end up moving through the ranks quicker and get bigger bonuses. It's a tough one. As a manager I have had to put people forward for promotion and it's rarely been mothers - it's been those who volunteer to do extra work. And as they do extra work, travel, etc, they end up with more experience and the cycle continues.

I think the key to closing the pay gap lies with men taking on more of the child rearing responsibilities. If, of course, that's what a couple decide is right in their relationship.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 28-10-2015 at 13:07.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (28-10-2015),VicPark  (28-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Another side to this I see at my work is that it's the men and women without children who (generally - there are exceptions) stay back late and come in on the weekends when it's really busy and also who are willing to travel interstate and overseas. Hence they end up moving through the ranks quicker and get bigger bonuses. It's a tough one. As a manager I have had to put people forward for promotion and it's rarely been mothers - it's been those who volunteer to do extra work. And as they do extra work, travel, etc, they end up with more experience and the cycle continues.

I think the key to closing the pay gap lies with men taking on more of the child rearing responsibilities. If, of course, that's what a couple decide is right in their relationship.
    I don't see this as an issue if child rearing is equally shared between parents.

Also if you have kids later on your life, you'll have had the time to put on the hours that help you raise through the ranks.
    The opposite is true, have kids early and then put on the hours later in your life once your kids are less dependant on you.

As a side note, I believe it's still possible to put the hours in even with young kids. I sometimes work at night once kids are tucked in bed. While my younger counterparts are busy partying the night away 😋

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    In my work, you actually qualify for higher pay scale if you have stayed at home rearing children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    As a side note, I believe it's still possible to put the hours in even with young kids. I sometimes work at night once kids are tucked in bed. While my younger counterparts are busy partying the night away 😋
    It is possible, I'm living proof teaching full time with a 7yo and 2yo, DH working full time. I need to do extra work most nights and every weekend.

It's possible, but it is dam near breaking me.

Pre kids, working 50-55 hours was pretty normal and not too stressful. I had a grad job (different industry) working 70-80 hours a week and that burnt me out. But I could easily maintain a work life balance staying back a few nights and taking a bit of paperwork home.

It is so much freaking harder now. DS still wakes at least once overnight, DD wishes I could come during reading time as she has no adult to read to most days and poor DH is so far down the list if my priorities. Don't even start me on my highly neglected social life!

Yes, its possible, but my contract ends this year and DH and I financially only need to work 8 days a week between us now we have bought our house, so there is no way in hell we are both going to be full time next year. It's just so hard.

PS. After all the extra I do, it still isn't enough. I was recently passed up for a new contract despite feedback about the high quality of my teaching practise. The people who got the jobs put in even more than me... It's ridiculous!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (29-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post

This! I work in a shift work environment and whilst my HOD has always given all PT staff the hours they need, none of us can work outside daycare hours due to child commitments. That's where all the seniority positions are made.

That's why I'm really keen on getting into that Nanny pilot scheme for next year when I go back to work. Dh is completely unreliable due to his work. A nanny would allow me to work evenings, night shifts, weekends or even finish after 6pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post

PS. After all the extra I do, it still isn't enough. I was recently passed up for a new contract despite feedback about the high quality of my teaching practise. The people who got the jobs put in even more than me... It's ridiculous!
    It is ridiculous that our society has gotten to the point where working 55 hrs per week isn't enough

Anyway, that's a whole other thread...!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (29-10-2015),Janesmum123  (30-10-2015),snowqu33n  (29-10-2015),Stretched  (29-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Tuesday15 View Post
    Is this an average for everyone? Maybe it's because I work in government, but we all get paid according to how long we've worked for the department. I currently get paid the same as all the blokes who are on the top pay scale for our position.
    Majority of fields have disparity in pay. Even when we don't think there is one. Obviously the gap is smaller in the public sector, but still exists.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm thankful I'm an award employee and my exact wage is printed in the EBA, doesn't matter if you're male or female, everyone my level earns exactly the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I'm thankful I'm an award employee and my exact wage is printed in the EBA, doesn't matter if you're male or female, everyone my level earns exactly the same.
    I was actually surprised reading on the wgea website that there is a pay disparity in education. But I'm guessing it includes the private sector which accounts for the gap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I was actually surprised reading on the wgea website that there is a pay disparity in education. But I'm guessing it includes the private sector which accounts for the gap.
    I actually work in an oil refinery which you would think would have disparity being a male dominated area. Our toilets are a portable because when it was built ladies weren't on site. But we get equal pay