+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I got a promotion while 5 months pregnant and a raise while on maternity leave.
    Wow!! You are really lucky! I'm jealous!

I was in line for a promotion at my job, then got pregnant and a 'restructure' conveniently meant that that position no longer existed. I have also not had a single pay rise since becoming pregant with my DS 3 years ago...that's 3 pay reviews where I haven't even got a CPI increase. After returning from Mat leave I've been downgraded to basically an admin assistant despite having several qualifications in my field. And then my company went and scrapped its paid maternity leave policy (and got away with it due to clever wording).

I know that a male counterpart who was in a similar position to me prior to me getting pregnant was on $20K pa more than more, even though we had the same level of experience and the same quals. He's since been promoted twice and received 3 payrises...

I'm looking for another job, but can't find anything in my area....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I thought that men did have the same entitlements for paternity leave? They do at my work anyway. Either the mother or father can take 12 months off.
    I think @ExcuseMyFrench was referring to societal expectations, I.e. Women are expected to take time out of their career and men aren't.

And yes under the National Employment Standards (NES) men and women are entitled to 52 weeks parental leave (with the option to request to extend an additional 52 weeks).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (28-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I thought that men did have the same entitlements for paternity leave? They do at my work anyway. Either the mother or father can take 12 months off.
    Sorry I worded it poorly. I meant that parental leave would have to be split between parents. So let's say 12 months for the family but each parents/guardians could only access a maximum of 6 months.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (28-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Frankenmum this is disgraceful 😡

My company is working on attracting talents and is an employer of choice for gender equality. They still have a lot to do regarding number of female staffs in executive/management roles but slowly getting there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Equal pay day is today!

I will probably be shot for this but here goes.

Equal pay should exist for Equal experience and skills. From what I've seen during my long life (which I admit may not be the full picture) it generally is.

If women want equal pay they need to not take big breaks from work for whatever reason (including having kids). How this can be accomplished for women who are taking time off to have kids depends on the specific situation. Women can either chose to put bub in daycare earlier and/or share child caring responsibilities with their partner (which may involve pre-positioning into a field where flexible working conditions exit).

If women want to take big chunks of time off to have kids then hats off to them - what a rewarding and wonderful thing they are doing. However if they chose this path they need to realise that they when they go back to work they will likely receive less pay than someone who started their career around the same time as them who didn't take a big chunk of time off work.
    Last edited by VicPark; 27-10-2015 at 19:55.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

coco123  (27-10-2015),CupidsVictim  (28-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @VicPark I think everyone agrees with you on that one??

The definition of equal pay is that two persons doing the same job should be paid the same.

The fact that you have or haven't worked for the past year is irrelevant. If you do the same job as someone who hadn't had a break you should still get the same money provided you have the same skills and hence doing the same job.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-10-2015),TheGooch  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Equal pay day is today!

The definition of equal pay is that two persons doing the same job should be paid the same.

The fact that you have or haven't worked for the past year is irrelevant. If you do the same job as someone who hadn't had a break you should still get the same money provided you have the same skills and hence doing the same job.
    I don't necessarily think people should be paid the same for doing the same job. There should be flexibility to pay people who are more efficient and produce higher output more. I think women need to come to terms with the fact that if they take big chunks of time off work they may not be as productive as colleagues who haven't taken time off work (as their skills and industry knowledge may be a little out dated).
    Last edited by VicPark; 27-10-2015 at 20:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't necessarily think people should be paid the same for doing the same job. There should be flexibility to pay people who are more efficient and produce higher output more. I think women need to come to terms with the fact that if they take big chunks of time off work they may not be as productive as colleagues who haven't taken time off work (as their skills and industry knowledge may be a little out dated).
    Genuine question - so you don't agree with award wages?

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't agree with this. I work in government and alongside CPI each year we are also eligible for a raise if we meet certain performance expectations. These don't have to be onerous tasks but I do believe they should be rewarded. I have missed out on this 3 times and I don't care that people that have served as long as I have earn more than me. They have earnt it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If you are more efficient and producing higher output with same input you are not doing the same job, and/or not with the same skills.

So def OK to differentiate with pay.

Here we are talking about people with same job same skills.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (27-10-2015)