+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Equal pay day is today!

Today is equal pay day, and it has fallen today because the gender pay gap is currently 20% which means women are effectively working for the rest of the year for free.

A Sydney radio station are calling for companies to offer a 20% discount to women only today, to somehow make up for the pay gap. I'm not sure i agree with this because it's trying to make a right with two wrongs. I feel that it's opening up discrimination claims for the companies who participate. However in saying that, it's bringing awareness to the issue.

I personally feel a bit resentful towards men for being able to have a family and a career. I am at the point in my career where I'm ready to step up to the next level and potentially move on to a new company but I want another baby, meaning my career will be put on hold for the next 18 months at least (time TTC, pregnancy and 6 months off).

I just don't know what the answer is. Men in my position will have had more experience as they haven't taken time off with a baby and haven't worked part time for a few years while their kids are young so are of more value to an employer. What do you think needs to be done to close the pay gap?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-10-2015),KitiK  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm convinced the only solution is equal rights and obligations for gender regarding children rearing. Which means same entitlement to parental leave. 6 months each.

Then employers would stop looking at female differently since male would also stop work for 6 months after having a baby.

The other major change needed is near-free childcare for all working parents.

It's also part of our own doing. Most of my female friends do not negotiate their salary on a yearly basis. Males are generally more aggressive towards remuneration.
    It's one of the last topic broached by females in interview and one of the first by male.

Finally I believe it's also a choice of most Australian women that put their career on the back burner for years.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-10-2015),snowqu33n  (27-10-2015),TheGooch  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @JR03 why would you put your career on hold for so long?

I got a promotion while 5 months pregnant and a raise while on maternity leave.

My outlook on maternity is no different to my outlook on a colleague taking long service leave. It's only 6month off which IMO is nothing in a career or in a corporation life.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My fly in fly out job in construction ended after I had my son. I can't enter the workforce again after having time off for mat leave and being made redundant. If a bloke took a year off its easier for them to get back in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post

My outlook on maternity is no different to my outlook on a colleague taking long service leave. It's only 6month off which IMO is nothing in a career or in a corporation life.
    If I stay at my current company, then there's nothing stopping me from getting a promotion while pregnant, but job security is really important to me so I wouldn't start a new job without the guarantee of a job to come back to following parental leave. I have carefully planned and started saving to ensure we can afford for me to take 6 months off following a baby so couldn't sustain our expenses for long if I couldn't return to work after 6 months. So I'm trapped in my company if I do want to have a baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    My fly in fly out job in construction ended after I had my son. I can't enter the workforce again after having time off for mat leave and being made redundant. If a bloke took a year off its easier for them to get back in.
    That might be so in some industries, but a friend of mine took 6 months paternity leave to help raise his children (his wife earnt more money, so it made more sense for them to have her return to work after 12 weeks). This basically stuffed up his career. He was over looked for promotions, was knocked back on applications to transfer to other parts of the business, and he was basically treated like crap (not outright bullying, but treated like a second class citizen).
    This same business now has rules in place that are meant to be more inclusive of women (a minimum of one woman on interview panels, a woman must be put forward for promotion or transfers).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

I can't speak for JR03 but as a lawyer maternity leave effectively killed my career. But I chose to take 12 months off after my first 3 kids as I had no interest in going back to the crazy hours I was working any earlier.

I'm now 44 and have for the past few years been working part time in the major transportation industry and have found and very family friendly environment which also has given my career a second wind. My kids are getting older so I can now devote more time to my own interests and career.

For me, when I was deep in the trenches of baby land my job was both a nuisance and my sanity.

I don't know the answers to be honest I gave up trying to figure it out years ago.

And as for men getting the easier career option, that may be true for some but I know my husband misses out on a lot with our kids because of his job. I wouldn't trade that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (29-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just saw a petition calling for salary data to be made public to put pressure on employers to close the gap. I do the Workplace Gender Equality Act (WGEA) reporting each year at my work and I've analysed our own data and a male in role X and a female in role X get paid very similarly, however where the disparity lies is overall, our senior management team is 75% male. So the men are in more senior roles and are therefore being paid more. So I guess the answer lies in how do we get women into senior positions?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I just saw a petition calling for salary data to be made public to put pressure on employers to close the gap. I do the Workplace Gender Equality Act (WGEA) reporting each year at my work and I've analysed our own data and a male in role X and a female in role X get paid very similarly, however where the disparity lies is overall, our senior management team is 75% male. So the men are in more senior roles and are therefore being paid more. So I guess the answer lies in how do we get women into senior positions?
    I'm going to go slightly against the grain here and ask 'do less women want senior positions and that's a cause of pay difference?' I was offered a promotion when I was pregnant and turned it down as it would have meant longer hours, more stress and more responsibility. I didn't want that when I returned from maternity leave. I'm hoping also to go back part time because I want to spend more time with my DD. So I will earn less than my male counterparts but that's my choice and what I want to do. I don't feel that society has pressured me to be this way - it's just what I want.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (29-10-2015),snowqu33n  (27-10-2015),VicPark  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm convinced the only solution is equal rights and obligations for gender regarding children rearing. Which means same entitlement to parental leave. 6 months each.

Then employers would stop looking at female differently since male would also stop work for 6 months after having a baby.

The other major change needed is near-free childcare for all working parents.

It's also part of our own doing. Most of my female friends do not negotiate their salary on a yearly basis. Males are generally more aggressive towards remuneration.
    It's one of the last topic broached by females in interview and one of the first by male.

Finally I believe it's also a choice of most Australian women that put their career on the back burner for years.
    I thought that men did have the same entitlements for paternity leave? They do at my work anyway. Either the mother or father can take 12 months off.