+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Talking Hi From a first time, soon to be dad :)

Hi All,

I will be receiving my first delivery of miniature human in march and I thought I would join the forum to get some advice, see what's trending and hopefully eventually help some others out.
    I am a Mechanical Engineer and cannot wait to beef up some of the kids toys and play equipment. so hopefully ill keep a blog so everyone can see what I get up to.
    right now i have the task of choosing the baby car seats,.... by the time I finish i expect to have a decent spreadsheet of the Australian choices so hopefully that will help some other people.
    in the meantime any suggestions from others would be appreciated. im currently looking at Britax which seems good quality and not too bad for money as after all, this is like a good helmet, you don't want to scrimp on the price if you can.

anyway, Hi thanks for having me
    Josh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi congratulations on your baby I'm a soon to be a first time mum and in the same boat with car seats. So far Britax is winning me over. I like the platinum pro and then the Millenia. They've both just been released, I'm hoping that by January when it's time to buy they'll be on sale.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi thanks and congrats to you too
    yes Britax seem to be a good brand, do you have a specific shop you are looking to buy from or online?
    I have reservations of online for this purchase because of the need for it to be perfect
    I have a babyco down from me and they're selling some with a small sale at the moment.
    maybe boxing day sales?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks
    Yes I'm buying mine from my local baby shop. I'm getting all my other baby things from there so it makes sense.

I'm due at the end of February so I'll definitely be checking out the sales.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hi From a first time, soon to be dad :)

When I chose a car seat, my criteria were that the seat had to have extended rear facing capability and be isofix-compatible. Turns out there were only a couple of seats that fit that - the safe n sound platinum sict isofix, safe n sound slimm-line ahr and maxi cosi euro. There were some safety issues with the maxi cosi earlier in the year so I wanted to stay away from that one. The platinum would have been good but I was worried it would be too hot in summer as the padding is very bulky.

I ended up buying the safe n sound quick fix seat from target. It is identical to the slimm-line ahr, just different fabric on the seat - and $200 cheaper. Many of the safe n sound seats at target are identical to other sns models for sale in baby shops, just under different names and all cheaper. I agree about not wanting to skimp on price at the expense of safety, my hubby and I had exactly the same conversation about helmets etc, but at the same time I figure there's no point spending $200 more for an identical product when I don't need to! Happy seat hunting

ETA I believe that safe n sound now have a couple of new models out which would also fit my criteria but they weren't available when I bought my seat.
    Last edited by besha; 27-10-2015 at 14:15.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

Hazza  (28-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Those are my criteria too... Until I realised I don't have isofix in my car
    extended rear facing is still my main priority.

The two new models from Britax the platinum pro and Millenia both have ERF and have bamboo fabric so are better for hot weather (apparently).

We live in country WA and will be doing a lot of hot long drives so spending a lot ($700) and getting the right car seat is worth it for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @A&S you can fit isofix seats to your car with a seatbelt if you don't have isofix points. You could always buy one anyway if there's a chance you might upgrade your car in the next couple of years?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately this is the new car. I am going to buy it anyway because it has everything else I want and like you say, I can still fix it the old fashioned way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In all honesty if bubba isn't due till march I would hold off a little longer. Both infasecure and recaro will be releasing extended rear facing seats soon. Make sure you get a seat that is labelled as rear facing until 2-3 years. With regards to price all seats sold in australia meet our standards which are very strict. Price doesn't really come into it for safety, it's more about how the seat installs in your car. You could have the most whizz bang seat but if you can't get a good install then you are better if with a seat with less safety features that does install well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Hazza  (28-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Infasecure make excellent seats. We currently have neons for our daughter (10 months) and evolve caprice for our son (almost 4). I expect the neons to work rear facing until around 3 years for our daughter and the evolve will keep our son in a five point harness until he is 8 (at least).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

Hazza  (28-10-2015)