+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Struggling to make the right choice about moving

Hi All,

I am meant to be moving from Brisbane to Sydney in January next year. I had prepared everything about the move, found a perfect school for my son, arranged a transfer with my work and had just brought a new car as I will need it to travel to work. However I have just been through my budget again and even though I searched hard to find a good car in my budget I can see that I will be struggling financially if I move.

I will end up with between $40- $100 left a week after all bills have been paid (including food). I have gotten very use to having a lot of disposable income so to me this seems ridiculous and is now making me really question my choice to move.

I have wanted to make this move for over 3 years now, I have worked hard at my job to get approved for a transfer and bargained with my DS Dad to allow him to let me move but now I am really starting to doubt my choice.

I am also in the middle of studying so in about 18 months it will get better as I will be fully qualified and will be able to make more money but my concern is the first 18 months. Is it fair on my son to move him if for 18 months we may be eating baked beans on toast so we have more than $50 for the weekend?

I really want to make this move but I am so concerned that it will be a bad choice if I am scraping the bottom of the barrel money wise.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In all honesty I wouldn't be moving if I was going to put myself in a tight financial spot.
    Can you finish your study then move?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (27-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-10-2015),VicPark  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Honestly? As long as bills are paid, you are doing well. Yes it can be scary going from a nice disposable income to not having a great deal once bills are paid, but as you said its not forever, it will improve. In the mean time there are heaps of things to do for cheap/free around brisbane- parks, south bank, museum... if you can afford your bills I would bite the bullet and do it especially if its something you have wanted to do for a long time. If it left you in a position where you couldn't afford bills then it probably wouldn't be a wise idea. There are so many ways to cut down living expenses too that would mean you maybe have more disposal income.

Eta- sorry, read it as you're moving Sydney- Brisbane. No I probably wouldn't.
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 27-10-2015 at 06:33.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't sleep at night moving and having that left to live on. It's too close for my liking.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way would I be moving to Sydney with that little disposable income. If you are financial comfortable stay where you are and the move once you finish your studies.
    Why are you desperate to move to Syd anyway?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I live in Sydney and not to scare you but the cost of living is so high. Especially with the tolls and paid parking everywhere. Even the beach is not free as its paid parking. I have paid $12 for 2 hours at the beach. I wouldn't be able to do it with only $50-$100 a week.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

Phony  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, it can be done, but I personally wouldn't want to have to forgoe being able to take my DS out on the weekends, or buy him new school shoes, or go out for dinner every now and then. I think you'll find that $40-$100 will be chewed up every week in extra living costs being in a more expensive city. Does your budget still account for savings? If not, there's no way I'd do it without that buffer.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way I'd move with that financial circumstance.

Why are you so desperate to move?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why are you moving? That would be a big part of my decision about whether its worth it or not.

If its just that you've always wanted to live in Sydney and want to try something new, then no I probably wouldn't move with finances being that tight. But if you're moving to be near family and friends or for better work opportunities then I'd be more inclined to go ahead and move and hope that the better support network balances it out.

No way would I move in those circumstances if I was moving away from family and friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are there things you could cut back on? Rent a cheaper house, buy a cheaper car, grocery shop at markets and cook snacks etc instead of eating out? If moving to Sydney is what you really want, I'm sure you can make it happen by changing things a little besides its only 18months until you will be on more money.