+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gestational Diabetes....what am I in for?

Today I received a call to tell me that after having the 2 hr OGTT last week I have Gestational Diabetes....in a little bit of shock as this is my 5th baby and it has always come back fine.

I will be meeting with the Diabetes Educator some time in the next 7 days (waiting on an appointment ) so all I know is what I have read on Dr Google. 😯 I was hoping those of you who have been through this can tell me what I am in for? Obviously I will gave to change my eating habits and from what I can gather I will be testing my BGL a few times a day but what about appointments....are there many more compared to normal antenatal care? How do you feel when your BGL are high? Anything else or any tips for me?

This is really stressing me out as I was already high risk due to Adenomyosis, Age, weight and a previous shoulder Dystocia birth! It's all becoming just too hard and I am feeling very overwhelmed by this pregnancy and trying to juggle everytime (I work part-time, have 4 kids and all the activities etc that come with that so life is busy enough without adding extra πŸ˜•

Thanks
    Reviews
    There must be someone out there who has had GD????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I had GD with my baby. It's such a shock to get the diagnosis but honestly it was a blessing in disguise! I had to follow a strict(ish) diet and test my blood sugar levels 4 times a day. I ended up eating much healthier and lost weight. If your levels can't be controlled with diet then you may have to have insulin. I had to have a couple of growth scans in the 3rd trimester to make sure he wasn't too big. I was induced at 40+3 and my son had to stay overnight in the special care nursery as a mandatory precaution even though his blood sugar levels were fine. He was average weight too, even though I was told he was going to be a big baby!

Hope this helps. Try not to stress too much. It is totally manageable and doesn't necessarily mean complications! All the best

4. The Following User Says Thank You to courtypie For This Useful Post:

Beljane  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also had to see an endocrinologist twice, a diabetes educator once and email my blood sugar levels to my diabetes educator weekly. Besides that and a couple of extra growth scans, no extra appointments

6. The Following User Says Thank You to courtypie For This Useful Post:

Beljane  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had GD. It really was fine. I just made sure I did exactly as they asked. Even with watching my diet to the extreme and glucose testing 3 times a day I still ended up on insulin.
    The insulin is much easier than the glucose testing, even though it sounds full on.
    I started expressing colostrum from 34 weeks to take to the hospital for DD to have in case she was born with low blood sugar and it was fine.
    My GD rectified as soon as DD was born.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Beljane  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had GD too, actually more than half of the mums in my mother's group had it. The diagnosis was a shock but it ended up being fairly easy to manage. I just had to do the little finger tip pin prick test thingy 3 times a day and manage my diet better. The diabetes educator gave me a good plan with meal suggestions and food replacement ideas. Bub was born average size at full term after a spontaneous labour.
    For me it was definitely a blessing in disguise, I would have continued eating everything in sight otherwise.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to calicocat For This Useful Post:

Beljane  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was also in shock when diagnosed with my 2nd and not my first bub. Like PPs it didn't cause major dramas as I was able to manage it through diet alone by switching to low GI and counting carbs.

I had an appt with the diabetes educator and had to call her once a week with my levels (any highs), but after several weeks of no highs she told me to just test on waking and 2hrs after one meal a day and only call if things start going up.

After that appt I had my glucometer and kept a food/levels diary for a week (I used calorie king website rather than write it all down) and took that to my dietician appointment. I don't really eat fruit, so I was a bit worried she would tell me off as most 'diabetes' diets include fruit. But it was no big deal as she saw I eat lots of veggies.

I was seeing a private OB so didn't need any extra appointments. Just a growth scan at 35w. Bub came at 39+2 spontaneously, sugars good, could room in with me from dot. Diabetes gone post-birth.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Beljane  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Gestational Diabetes....what am I in for?

Yes GD here too. I was kind of expecting it my grandmother has type 2 diabetes and my mum had GD with me.
    It was pretty easy to get my diet in order just meant I was monitoring what I ate very closely. I ended up putting 6kg on when I was pregnant and I think it was because I ate so well with GD! I had to test my BSLs 4 times a day and met with my diabetes educator once a week.
    I was induced at 40+4 straightforward Bub was 3.58kg and had no issues with his BSLs