+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ttc straight after mmc and D&C?

Hi everyone.

been researching this like crazy and coming up with so many different views and options. So thought I'd ask for a few more from the lovely ladies on here!

Does anyone know if there really is any reason that I need to wait until after first AF to ttc after a mmc and D&C?
    I know that it makes it easier to date the pregnancy but tbh knowing my exact dates did absolutely nothing for me last time. Just gave me an extra hopeless week as the ultra sound tech tried to give me hope saying I could be off but I Knew my dates were right.

But ive read that it can cause another mc? Is there any evidence of this? I know may say lining needs to build up but don't we shed the lining every month anyway? Sorry if that's a stupid question!) I've heard stories about getting pregnant straight away and success and also ppl who wait and mc anyway it seems to be such a crap shoot! All the Drs give me different answers so I feel pretty frustrated.

So just thought I'd ask for real experiences! Anyone gotten pregnant straight after D&C ? How'd it go? Do you regret it? I guess I'm just so confused right now and it helps to get advice/experiences from others. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi hoping, I'm so sorry you're going through this, it's awful.

I had a missed mc a couple of years ago at 8.5 weeks. From memory the doctor recommended that I wait a month or two before trying again to build lining up after surgery (I had a D&C) but to also give body a chance to heal. I also used pregnancy tests to see when HCG left system & it stayed for a couple of weeks (very positive looking tests for a while) so just be aware that you may have HCG left in your system if you decide to try again soon too.

I've heard many people say that you can be very fertile afterwards. I know I desperately wanted to get pregnant again but it unfortunately didn't happen for us straight away so I can't answer your question sorry but hopefully someone else will be able too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky27 For This Useful Post:

hoping11  (26-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply Rocky.
    I'm hoping all the HCG is gone! A week ago it was at 49 and 11 days prior on the day of the D&C it was 15000. So I think it dropped significantly in that time. I've science been testing neg in hpt but tiny line on opks which I've heard aren't reliable after D&C. I'm just so so desperate for a rainbow the wait for AF is torture! I'm so sorry for your losses and hope you get your rainbow soon! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Hoping, sorry you are going through this :-( I had a d&c at the end of June, my situation was a bit different but the doctors who did it said there wasn't any real reason to wait if we didn't want to. 9 weeks after the d&c ( and no AF in between )I found out I was 4 weeks pregnant, so currently 11ish weeks now. So far this pregnancy is going well and bub is growing perfectly.
    It took a few weeks after my d&c to get a negative pregnancy test and I still had pregnancy symptoms for ages after so I kept thinking I was pregnant again but I wasn't. It's a tough decision but DH and I decided to just see what happened and what would be, would be. I know in saying that I was really anxious and just wanted to fall pregnant again and luckily for us it has turned out ok so far.
    All the best with your decision, hope you are looking after yourself xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have been in your exact position. Had a MMC and tried to wait it out naturally but nothing happened after 3 weeks so ended up having D&C.

One reason they recommend waiting until after first period is because of the risk of infection. By the time the risk of infection is gone, it's more than likely you've already missed ovulation (if you even ovulate because of hormones).

It's also to give your body time to heal, etc. My period came exactly 28 days after my D&C, however my partner and I were actively TTC still and pregnancy tests the day of my period all came up positive, so it was devastating when I realised they were wrong and it was just leftover hormones.

The early pregnancy unit in my local hospital recommended I wait at least two cycles, however my GP said to go ahead. If the body is ready then it will happen. If it's not ready then it won't. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi hoping, so sorry for your loss. Its a horrible time to have to go through

I've had 2 mmc and was told different things for both. My 1st (1st preg) we found put at our nt scan at 12.5wks. I had a d&c the next day as bub was only measuring 8.5wks so they were concerned about infection. I was told to wait 3mths before trying...as it was, we ended up needing to see a fs another 12mths down the track so it didn't matter anyway.

With my 2nd mmc (3rd pregnancy) found out at a 10wk scan their hb was no longer. It was a bit of a drawn out saga but 5wks later had a d&c but this time was told there was no reason to wait. I was pregnant again 5wks after that d&c and successfully carried ds.

As rocky mentioned above, be aware of residual hcg if you try straight away. With my 1st, my levels were sky high (gp thought twins initially due to high levels but my dating scan showed just the 1 healthy bub) and it took many, many weeks to drop back to zero.

I can relate to the confusion when different drs say different things as I have been told both myself. Good luck and take care xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ttc straight after mmc and D&C?

Oh I better mention that the doctor told us to wait until all bleeding had stopped before considering having sex again due to risk of infection. I was also on a two week course of antibiotics straight after the d&c. We had to wait about 2/3 weeks but based on my dates now, I didn't ovulate until 7 weeks after the d&c anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was told no need to wait after D&C. However, it took ages for hcg to leave my system I was getting faint positives weeks after. It also took 8-9 weeks for my AF to return. I didn't try until then because I just wanted to see AF to know my body 'worked' again. If AF doesn't return it can mean problems etc which I think is why most health profs suggest waiting a cycle. But you don't have to wait.