+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Penicillin

Dd has been sick since Thursday.
    Three doctors (including hospital) visits later and she's been prescribed antibiotics for a throat infection.
    However, due to tiredness I didn't think to tell the dr that her dad might be allergic to penicillin. He got a rash as a child from a dose on antibiotics he was on. Not sure how much he took or how bad the rash was and it wasn't confirmed that he's allergic, he's just always got an alternative over the yrs.
    I gave him an earful. Almost 40 and three kids and he's never sorted this out.

Anyway.
    I've got the antibiotics but now I'm nervous of giving DD any.
    I don't have time to go back to the doctor before school pick up, and to be honest, I'm so bl00dy tired I need to rest before I even drive to the school as it is.

What would you do in this situation?
    Try them anyway?
    The chemist said to give her just 1ml and see how she goes.
    The dose is 3 mls x 3 times a day.

Exhausted and not thinking straight, I don't want to make a bad call here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it just your DH who might be allergic to penicillin? Has your DD ever had a reaction to them?

If she's never had a reaction to it, or never had it before then I'd go ahead and use them as prescribed. Both DH and I are allergic to penicillin and the drs prescribed it for DD anyway until she had a reaction. At first she was fine, but when she was around 6 she started showing a reaction to it and from then on the drs prescribed alternative antibiotics.

So if its just your DH with a suspected issue then I'd go ahead.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Phony  (26-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My Mum and sister are highly allergic, but I've never been tested, just usually get an alternative. My DS has had penicillin though and it did give him a rash, but no other side effects. So now we usually get an alternative for him too. But DD has also had it and has been fine.

The rash itself isn't usually an issue from what my Dr told me at the time. Just a bit irritating for them. They're also not 100% sure it was from the drugs as could have been from the virus. We can get him tested, but I haven't pursued it yet as hasn't been an issue and he was only 1 at the time.

If your DD is highly allergic, you'd know pretty quickly. I'd either go with the chemists advice (in my experience they often know more about drugs than Dr's!) or give your Dr and quick buzz and check with them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Phony  (26-10-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I never knew if I was allergic or not until this year. I have two family members who are allergic so mentioned this to the dr and the chemist. The dr wasn't concerned but the chemist was a bit and said to just keep an eye out for any reaction. Turns out I'm not allergic.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Phony  (26-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would try it. I'm allergic to penicillin and clindamycin (rashes) but my ds1 has had penicillin 3 times now and he's not quite 2 and had no problems. Normally the acute anaphalactic reactions are rare with first time drugs, normally they develop with repeat exposure, ie the first few times you might get the rash then the next time it might be more serious. So I would imagine is she does have an allergy you would notice the rash or upset stomach first.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Phony  (26-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My brother is allergic and dd also came out in a rash but ds was fine when he tried it. But normally we just get an alternative with him.
    I would go with the chemist's advice or give dr a call for a new script have a rest then pick kids upand get script and new medicine even though i would hate to drag the kids out and about

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I'm allergic to penicillin but have given it to my DS with no reaction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds has a penicillin allergy.

If your dd is allergic you'll know pretty quickly, they'll start to cry (I think they get a bad headache) and get a rash.

FYI it's only my mum who is allergic to it, so it's skipped a generation.

At no point for us has it been life threatening and we forgot to tell a new dr that he has an allergy as well. He had one dose and was fine.

Personally, I'd try the medicine and see how you go. Just monitor it.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks everyone
    She's almost 9 mths now and after the last few days I just wasn't willing to risk it.
    I rang my doc and she faxed a new script through to my chemist.
    Excellent!
    Saved me a 1.5 hour round trip with 3 kids.