+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Exhausted from trying to keep baby from crying

My daughter is 7 weeks old and I love her more than anything. But, I am really struggling. I haven't admitted this to anyone, and well I don't have any family close by anyway, but sitting here now listening to my baby cry, I feel like writing everything down might help.
    DD cries almost all the time. She does stop while feeding most of the time, although even then she can sometimes start and it then becomes very painful for me as she lets go to cry then grabs my nipple again forcefully with her gums to keep sucking, before repeating everything.
    There is only one way I know of to stop her from crying and that is just to walk around with her, or keep her moving somehow. You can never sit down and relax and I am exhausted.
    I am home alone on maternity leave, my partner had to go back to work. My back hurts from carrying her - she's over 6kg at 7 weeks, I'm hungry, thirsty, sleepy you name it. But I can't do anything. If I put her down she screams blue murder. If I sit down whilst holding her to rest, she screams.

According to multiple doctors and midwives, she is the picture of health. She is growing well, she's very strong and reaching all milestones 1-2 weeks ahead of expectations. She doesn't appear to have reflux or any of the symptoms I've read about for silent reflux.
    But yesterday was really scary for me. We had to drive home after dropping family off at the airport, a 1.5 hour drive and she started crying. When she cries she gets really hot and sweaty, drenching her clothes quickly. I get worried that she will either overheat or get cold from the sweat. I pulled over and she stopped crying as soon as I picked her up and started walking around. But we had to get home. Usually the car soothes her so long as we keep moving, I have run some very orange lights to achieve that. But not yesterday. I couldn't just sit there on the side of the freeway though so I had to eventually drive home with a screaming baby.

I am so tired, there are no words. I just want to be able to sit with her and enjoy her but I can't. She kicks whilst she cries and it actually hurts a lot after a while, not to mention she head butts and rakes with her fingers so you can't just sit and hold her while she cries. But I am too tired to keep walking around with her, I just can't do it anymore, I need to sit down, I need to eat. Her crying makes me feel sick and puts me off my food but I am feeling so weak.

It seems to affect my brain, I can't even hold proper conversations with people because her crying upsets and stresses me and her crying is constant.

She used to have naps and when she fell asleep in your arms you could put her to bed and she'd sleep for hours. Not anymore.

Ok well the whole time I have been writing this she has been screaming in her pram. She has been screaming for hours with only very short breaks whilst I feed her and carrying her around as much as I can. I had better go get her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations on your baby girl 😊

Have you tried wearing her in a sling? It may help.

It sounds really tough but you're doing a great job. I'm sure others will be able to offer more advice, good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Yadot, we do actually have a baby carrier and I do wear it. Again, it will stop her from crying most of the time, but only if we keep moving. She even sleeps whilst we walk around, even while vacuuming. But if I stop or sit down, the screaming starts within a minute, even if she was asleep.

My issue is that I just can't move around all the time, I am too tired

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Exhausted from trying to keep baby from crying

Oh OP that sounds horrible! I really feel for you. None of mine were that bad at that age (but made up for it later), so I don't know that I have any advice. I would love to come around and help you out if I could, you do need to eat and rest, but it sounds almost impossible for you.
    Hang in there, they do grow out of it!
    Is she sleeping at all during the day? At that age mostly mine just fed and slept, but I know some babies don't. Swaddling her and putting her in a dark quiet room might help if maybe she is a bit overstimulated?
    I second the sling/carrier, they don't feel as heavy as carrying around in your arms (mine have all been big babies too).
    And I hear you about the dr's/midwives/chn's no one is worried about your baby if the look healthy and are gaining weight well, even when you're dying of sleep deprivation
    Last edited by LittleBug'sMum; 26-10-2015 at 11:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would a rocker help? We have a my little lamb rocker, it swings and is amazing for a break.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh you poor thing, that is horrible. Have you taken her to see an osteopath or a chiropractor? My cousins little girl was like this, and it turned out she was very tense from the birth and it hurt her to lay down. She screamed constantly until 6 weeks when she was diagnosed and the osteopath helped to loosen her up.
    My DD2 used to scream when she fed from the right side, because her neck was tight and she couldn't attach properly (it also damaged my nipple because she slipped off a lot). My osteo helped to fix that too.
    Have you kept a food diary of what you are eating? Babies can have food intolerances but still gain weight.
    You are doing an amazing job caring for her, but you also need a break. Can you go for a walk or something when your partner gets home?
    Good luck. The first few months are definitely the hardest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you have a swing? Try that? My bub had to be held to sleep but he did sleep while sitting or lying next to me. I used to bounce on a fitness ball sometimes. Also the rocking chair helped.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I just wanted to say I'm sorry that you are having such a rough time. I remember that stage very very clearly and how desperate I felt about it all.

Some practical things that I thought I might suggest although I'm sure you've thought of them all:

Does she have wet nappies?
    Are you able to burp her sufficiently after feeding? Do you think she might be gassy or have reflux issues? Will she sleep for naps if you are co sleeping?

Is there a chance that she's under stimulated - if you took her for a walk outside around the block in her pram and talked about the leaves and the sky and the noises you can hear would she still cry?

Please take time out for yourself if you need. I know it is horribly stressful but it won't hurt her to cry in her crib if you need to take five.

I hope things pick up for you soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm so sorry to read that OP. It sounds absolutely horrendous for you. I totally agree with it affecting your brain!

Have you tried a dummy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh gosh that's hard. My suggestions are:

Headphones to dull/drown out crying.
    A swing- swaddled her tightly and put her in there.
    Definitely try an osteo

Also then your dh gets home, just give him bub in the pram and send him for a walk.