+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Trying to encourage breastfeeding

It's probably a silly question but my 4 month old hasn't been feeding that well for the last couple of weeks in that he's just not really interested in feeding. He's never really been a hungry baby, I just feed him if he hasn't had a feed for a few hours. Recently though during the day he's just only sucking for a few minutes then he's wriggling and pulling on and off. He doesn't seem to be in discomfort and there's plenty milk there, he just doesn't seem to want it.
    I wasn't too worried but he has dropped his weight percentile a bit (was in between lines before, now he's dropped to the line) but the gp didn't really think it was a problem and just advised reweighing him in a month. The thing that does concern me though is that his nappies arnt that wet. The urine still looks pretty clear but when I change him after a few hours it's not that full.
    Now my question is should I try to leave the interval at about 3 hours so he's hungry or should I just keep putting him on every hour or so to take small frequent amounts?
    He's not having any bottles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you're used to just putting him on and having him feed, you may not know his hunger signals. I'd try a day where I just wait, don't feed him until he actually seems hungry. That could be 4 or 5 hours...all depends on bub & the amount of milk you store. Then I'd use his behaviour to get an idea of what he does when he's actually hungry, and decide based on that whether to aim for big feeds when he's obviously hungry, or just offer and see what he does. As he's more interested in the world aroud him, he'll be less likely to stick with long feeds anyway as there's too much to look at!
    My 4.5 month old isn't usually especially hungry when I feed him, but I offer and he takes it usually at around 3 hours. He's a spewy bub, and I only do it cause I try to avoid feeding him right before a sleep if I can. I'm pretty surprised he's kept it up for this long though

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (26-10-2015),VicPark  (26-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing - my DD is the same. I feel I hardly ever feed her, although she does have enough wet nappies and when I do feed her it's for such a short time and she fussed about.Her weight is steady but she has dropped percentiles since birth (not lost weight - just slow gain).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    IIRC this is not uncommon for around 4 months, when they're becoming so much more aware of the rest of the world around them so lose interest in the "boring" stuff like feeding. My son's feeding and sleeping was cr@p from 3.5-5 months, but it settled back down.

I tried to minimise distractions, so would take him into a dark, quiet bedroom to feed rather than feeding where other things were going on. Or you can try a silicone feeding necklace to play with to keep him attached and focused (heaps of WAHMs sell them on FB).

With the weight percentiles, are you definitely always using the WHO charts for breastfed babies? Because that can make a big difference. It sounds like you've only seen a change of around 15% though which is not too much.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (26-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would also suggest feeding in a quiet dark space. That's why I like feeding to sleep. Babies that age become so aware of every thing around them that they feed just the bare minimum. My eldest was like that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (26-10-2015)