+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help puppy toilet training!

We have a puppy who is 10weeks and has no idea about tt.
    Can anyone help me on how to train him? Any tips?
    Also I saw a thread ages ago about anti bark collars from eBay ( just incase we need it when he bigger) what were they called again? Cant find the thread..
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. Congrats on the puppy! What have you got? I highly recommend crate training your pup. It is a life saver especially when it comes to toilet training. I was a sceptic at first but now I'm a total convert.

Other tips would be... Take pup out regularly on the lead and praise when he goes to the toilet. I always used 'toilet' as my command word and then give a little treat. My two labs now always go to the toilet on command no matter where we are. It's really useful.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help puppy toilet training!

It's all about positive rewards when he does it in the right place- lots of praise, small treat, play with favourite toy etc. The old idea of telling puppy off and rubbing nose in the mistake is not a good idea as often the accident has occurred much earlier and the puppy can't understand what you're angry about so doesn't associate being told off with having the accident so it doesn't help. Also all attention is wanted attention for a puppy so although you're being stern and trying to tell puppy off he will just see it as someone talking to him and enjoy the attention. Best thing is to clear up the accident without drawing any attention to it.
    In terms of whether you use puppy pads or newspaper, I think it's up to you but some people think it's better just to teach them to go straight outside rather than one place such as a pad near the door as you then need to transition from the pad to outside. I agree with pp about a crate. Most animals don't want to sleep next to their toilet so it will encourage puppy to try and hold it in overnight or at least alert you he needs to go rather than making a mess in the crate.
    Good luck, most puppies get it pretty quick just make a big fuss and go outside regularly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a beagle and he was so hard to toilet train due to his nose and sniffing so took us a few goes at different things.. What worked for us is we just kept saying let's go toilet and would walk him to the door and outside on the grass he would go through the same door every time and would just keep saying go toilet repeatedly until he went as soon as he would go I would give him a treat took him about a month after that to start walking to the door on his own.. Now he will bark if the door is closed and no one is paying attention.

Also before we go to bed we will always take him outside to go toilet doesn't matter if he went half an hour prior he would still go even if its a few drops because we say 'go toilet' haha

We used the collar on him it worked really well although initially we didn't realise there was high and low settings the first time we put it on him he was bucking like a horse poor baby we have it on the low setting now and it works he only barks occasionally and when he does he will stop cause of the zap

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's really important to take the puppy straight outside when he wakes up, just after he eats etc.
    They go to the toilet quite often and it's you that needs to be on top of getting the puppy outside to the grass before than accidents happen inside. After a little while they associate piddles with outside and will somewhat hold on.
    This has worked every single time for puppies I've had.
    A code word is always good. My dogs now wee if I tell them to piddle outside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for the tips. he keeps randomly just coming inside and straight away wees! I then pick him up take outside to finish but he doesn't.. just wants to jump around and play. Not listening! Will keep on it of course but might look at keeping him in his kennel one day and taking him out every hour or 2 for the patch on grass.. Wayyyy harder than cats toilet training!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember waiting a long time outside sometimes. If you know it's time for pup to go, you might just need to wait until pup has gone to the toilet before you come back in. Seriously though look at crate training. It doesn't take much effort but the benefits are huge.