+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I recently saw a neurologist for my migraines, as I've had them regularly for over 3 years.

I've been prescribed Atacand as a preventive and have been taking it for about 3 weeks now, so early days, but so far so good.

The neuro said if it doesn't work, we can try another drug. It's good to know there are various other options should this drug not work for me.

Prior to seeing a neuro I spent a lot of money trying various therapies as I thought my headaches were being caused by tight muscles in my neck/shoulders. I would get some temporary relief, but nothing I tried would stop them from coming back.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Tiny Danza  (26-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I saw a neurologist in Jan this year for mine. I've been having them for 20yrs, I inherited them from my mum. I was on imigran but I found they didn't get rid of the headache the slurred speech, nausea and vision problems so he changed my meds to relpax which work much better.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Tiny Danza  (26-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have suffered with migraines for 16 years.
    I take propanolol twice a day as a preventative and naramig for an attack.
    Since I had dd two years ago I am down to one migraine every 6 to 8 weeks!! Woohooo!
    I am about to wean off the propanolol to see what happens.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Tiny Danza  (26-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Danza View Post
    Thanks for your replies. @bezzy, the fact that you had to up the does of your preventer until it was effective gives me some hope, as well as hearing about other types of preventers. My DP takes Deralin, which was effective for a while, but she has had a few migraine clusters recently. Hopefully her Dr can prescribe her a different dose, or a different preventer.

She's onto migraine number 5 in this cluster now She's cried, I've cried... hopefully they stop soon, and the Dr can help her.
    Deralin is the generic brand of my medication. To give you an idea what dose I had to go up to, I take 2.5x40mg morn, 2x40mg evening. Go up just half a tab at a time, if migraines start appearing again in a few months up the dosage by half a tablet. This is what worked for me anyway.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Tiny Danza  (26-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been getting migraines for about 30 years. I'm lucky in that imigran works for me. Acupuncture and naturopath stuff was hopeless in my case.

My main trigger is the muscles in my neck and upper back. When the clusters happen I find it's usually when my neck is tense. I found a really good remedial masseuse who knows how to properly massage necks is really helpful.

One other thing, though, I notice that she's only been getting them for a few years. Have they been properly investigated? Are they sure they're migraines and not cluster headaches?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

Tiny Danza  (26-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies.

My DP is currently on 1 x 40mg Deralin twice a day, so good to hear that there's possible scope for increasing that.

She's on Relpax as a reliever, but has been finding it less effective - ie still lots of pain, feels cr@appy afterwards.
    @Sally1981, I'm pretty sure they're migraines rather than cluster headaches - she gets the aura and visual disturbances beforehand. She can't function through them. Just in the last little while, she's been getting clusters of them! She probably hasn't been properly investigated for them though - she's a bit of a Dr-avoider, but this last lot have been pretty bad, and I convinced her to go today. The Dr has ordered an MRI to see if it shows anything - hopefully not!

Thanks again for your replies. Migraines are awful, and I'm sad to hear so many people suffering from them - I really feel for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I haven't read the rest of the replies. I have had migraines for 20 years and have never had success with preventers. I have been taking magnesium chelate for the past 2 years and it is magic! I would be lucky to have had a couple of migraines in that time and only one was what I would consider sever. I just get it from any chemist off the shelf and take two in the morning and two at night. If I stop taking them even for a day I will get a mild migraine. Can't recommend them enough.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jes For This Useful Post:

Tiny Danza  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @jes for the pointer about magnesium chelate. I hadn't heard of it before, and a quick Google search has brought up some research trials where it has been shown to be effective too. I will encourage DP to discuss with her Dr.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Danza For This Useful Post:

jes  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was recommended by a pharmacy assistant, I thought she was full of it! But I thought why not try it because anything is worth a try. It means I can take the kids out in summer and not worry that I will get a migraine and not be able to drive us home. sounds a bit over the top but it has seriously changed my life!! 👍🏻👍🏻

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jes For This Useful Post:

Tiny Danza  (26-11-2015)