+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Migraines - worried :(

Hello

Does anyone else suffer from migraines? What helps you? Have you identified any triggers? Do you take, or do, or not do, anything to help prevent them?

My DP suffers really badly from migraines. She gets clusters of them - she's now had 4 in the last week, but can go for months without any.

She's on beta blockers to help prevent them, but has been getting migraines anyway. Has anyone had any luck with preventers?

I feel so helpless and overwhelmed, and so worried about her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Tiny Danza.
    I have suffered with migraines for about 15 years. I have tried all the preventers - nasal spray, wafers on the tongue but unfortunately they all made me vomit. I have a very quick onset and often vomit any tablets before they work.
    I have found my biggest trigger is lack of sleep. Stress doesn't help either.
    The thing that really did help me was acupuncture. My gp administered it - the way he described it was that a migraine was a brain pathway similar to a seizure. When the "triggers" activated it (whatever the trigger is), the brain would follow the same pathway to pain/migraine. The acupuncture was to divert the pathway along a different brain route. Whilst I was very sceptical it did seem to reduce my frequency.
    How long has your wife had these migraines? If sudden onset then make sure she has a good gp who runs appropriate tests.
    Also a lot of evidence that sleep disturbances (apnoea) or grinding whilst asleep can contribute to headaches/migraines. Consider a sleep study with a sleep physician as this also monitors grinding frequency. Seek lots of opinions until you get some relief.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunny79 For This Useful Post:

Tiny Danza  (24-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny79 View Post
    If sudden onset then make sure she has a good gp who runs appropriate tests.
    Also a lot of evidence that sleep disturbances (apnoea) or grinding whilst asleep can contribute to headaches/migraines. Consider a sleep study with a sleep physician as this also monitors grinding frequency. Seek lots of opinions until you get some relief.
    I second this.

My dad has had a lot of migraine clusters in the last few months, and they're often tied to stress and sleep issues. He also finds that they get worse in warmer weather, so staying as calm and cool as possible helps him somewhat. My dad's are complicated by an acquired brain injury, and significant pain from other injuries, so he has issues resolving the sleep problems. The migraines have been present long before the injuries, but he finds them more difficult to manage now (added stress and lack of sleep).

I hope your partner finds something that works for her soon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Tiny Danza  (24-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, what helps to manage after it hits is different for everyone. I find if I take 2 panadol, 2 nurofen, and go and lie in a dark room straight away, it helps significantly. I also do cold compresses and cold showers. My friend does hot showers. My dad can't handle the pressure of the water on his head, or the sound.

My friend's migraines are triggered by allergies to pollens, wine, chocolate, some cheeses, harsh chemicals, and also hormonal. She avoids what she can, and takes the pill to even out the hormonal issues.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Tiny Danza  (24-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies.

Tiny Dancer - our names are so similar! Funny! Maybe I should change mine to Tony Danza? When I was choosing a name, I had that joke song in my head, Hold Me Closer Tony Danza, but picked Tiny Danza instead as a combination of the joke and real songs.

Anyway, back to the topic - my partner has had migraines for a few years now, not sure how long. The clusters of them are relatively new though. When they hit, they hit fast, with aura. She has a triptan-based medication to take when they do, but it really seems to knock her around.

She's on betablockers daily to hopefully help prevent migraines. They worked for a while, but there have been a few clusters of migraines lately. It's so hard knowing that when there's one migraine, there's likely a few more coming shortly afterwards I get so worried, and she of course feels like cr@p, with anxiety about whether and when the next one might be. It's really hard

She does get a sore jaw sometimes from clenching her teeth - but I think she clenches because of pain, rather than the clenched teeth causing the pain if that makes sense. I will recommend she talk to her GP about a sleep study. I've slept beside her for many years though and not noticed any apnoea - do you think I would notice?

As best we can tell, triggers include stress, relief from stress, hormones, excess sugar, disrupted sleep.

What kind of tests have you had in relation to migraines, other than sleep studies?

I'm a bit of an accupuncture sceptic too - but if it works... might be worth a try. Convincing DP might be another matter though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you would likely notice sleep apnoea. The partners of people I know with it definitely notice. But I don't know much about it to be honest.

I've not had much in the way of tests. I did have an echocardiogram, but that was because I was having atypical symptoms with my vision, and it was to rule out a hole in my heart. My dad has had MRIs, but I don't know if it was because they were worried about the brain injury worsening and causing the migraines, or whether they were just checking in general. My friend had allergy testing done.

Lol, don't change your name! I chose mine for a few reasons - I'd done a dance to Tiny Dancer when I was a kid, and I had heard it and was feeling nostalgic. I am also quite tiny, and a dancer, so there we are!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Tiny Danza  (25-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also take inderal (beta blocker) to prevent migraines. In the first year or so I had to increase dosage every couple of months as they wod start coming back, Im now on quite a high dose but this has been enough to keep them under control for a couple of years. It was just a matter of finding the right dosage for me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Tiny Danza  (25-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've had headaches and migraines since I was 10, so about 31 years now. I've been on Sandomigran as a preventative for almost a year now; and sometimes it works better than others. I've had a couple of CAT scans, but nothing to my knowledge was ever found. I sometimes get flashing lights in front of my eyes before they start, and sometimes notThe only triggers I've been able to work out so far are bright lights (even just the sun shining through the kitchen window and onto the white splashback at the back of the sink can be enough to set it off), loud noises, and strong smells (perfume, nail polish and remover, fresh paint, petrol, etc.). As far as treatment, occasionally a couple of panadeine take the edge off, sometimes only a few hours sleep in a dark room helps, and other times nothing works and I just have to wait for the pain to burn itself out.
    Last edited by Catzilla; 25-10-2015 at 13:10.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Catzilla For This Useful Post:

Tiny Danza  (25-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. @bezzy, the fact that you had to up the does of your preventer until it was effective gives me some hope, as well as hearing about other types of preventers. My DP takes Deralin, which was effective for a while, but she has had a few migraine clusters recently. Hopefully her Dr can prescribe her a different dose, or a different preventer.

She's onto migraine number 5 in this cluster now She's cried, I've cried... hopefully they stop soon, and the Dr can help her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suggest she sees a natropath. My DH was getting regular migranes until he saw one. They told him to rule out certain foods (processed meets, yogurt, bananas ect) that contained truromine (sp?). Since being on the new deit he only gets them very occasionally.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to new mum 15809 For This Useful Post:

Tiny Danza  (26-10-2015)