+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It started xmas eve for us. my parents would take us downtown. santa would drive the main area ina firetruck throwing lollies into the crowd, then we would look at lights, then home to bed.

Xmas morning...we could look at what santa brought us. then everyone would be woken up to sit together in the lounge.
    dad would always sit beside the tree and hand out presents 1at a time.
    after presents we would all eat eggs and bacon . dad only eats breakfast twice a year (xmas and easter) and he worked away a lot but was always home for xmas. i loved sitting beside him eating my breakfast!
    We always have a huge hot lunch (roast pork chicken turkey) ham, veggies and all sauces and trimmings plus there was always nuts fruit and lollies on the table...then there was xmas cake and pudding.
    Dinner was always left overs and salads .
    it was usually just a family affair.

we do similar for our boys except santa just sits on a stage now and fire/ses hand out a bag of lollies per child. but there's free entertainment music rides games etc there now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like some great christmas traditions. I just wish we had all my siblings and their kids around to help celebrate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Growing up we always waited until after lunch to open our presents!

In the morning we would wake up to find the pillow case we put out filled with small presents and trinkets so we always had something new to amuse us. Then we would normally have lots of people visit in the morning. Mum always did a big roast turkey with all the trimmings and we should pull crackers and wear the hats while we ate.

Then after we had cleared up lunch we would all gather around the tree (by now about 2pm) and dad would hand out presents one by one.

We were always so exited by then and I think it made the excitement of Christmas day last longer too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My grandma... she died when I was 9.
    She held the biggest Christmas Dinners. All family was invited including distant relatives and friends. And you could bring your friends along as well.
    Everyone remembered her as Mrs B.

After she died, it seemed everything else kind of did too..
    Family stopped communicating and Christmas family get togethers got smaller.
    I miss the togetherness.
    I want to try and bring that feeling back for my boys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    Sounds like some great christmas traditions. I just wish we had all my siblings and their kids around to help celebrate

I feel this way too.my boys only cousins live 7 hours away and due to their parents splitting, unless we go there, my 2 (1 up till this year) are on their own.

Mr 4 said to me just this week... "this part of our family is lonely because the rest of my family are in ....." broke my heart

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love christmas! Growing up we had all the family together, that was tradition and it was awesome because some of us lived in the country therefore we didn't see our cousins that much through the year.

Dh's mum does the tradional christmas lunch with all the trimmings and her homemade pudding with brandy custard, the house is decked out with everything christmasy and everyone buys for everyone and we all sit down together to open our pressies. Xmas eve we go to church and drive around the streets looking at the lights. Love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Food and family made my Christmas as a child and it's what matters to me now.
    So many Italian food traditions and being involved in them from the time I was a tiny girl - making sausages, Italian Christmas biscuits, Christmas cake - all in my Grandmothers kitchen. Gran has passed but we're carrying on the traditions. I know it would make her proud.
    Family whether it be just us five on the farm (which is what we've wanted for years but circumstances haven't allowed it) or a bigger gathering in the city, it's just lovely.
    We love decorating the house and tree but I had to let go and give the kids free range. It makes my eye twitch sometimes but I've learned to embrace the eclectic beauty that they always manage to make.
    Midnight Mass in the beautiful Cathedral where I grew up was always so lovely.
    No Midnight service where I live though but we have a lovely Nativity that we put up that was my family's when I was little.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Our family is small and really only just beginning so I'm loving all these ideas. They're great and so many can be done no matter where you are!

I love the Xmas eve box with the pyjamas and a movie to watch idea!

Also love the elf on a shelf!

And going to see the Xmas lights!

When I was little, we didn't have any other family around, unless we travelled to them so often it was just us. Mum believed that Xmas was the time to have whatever you liked. Looking back it was not the healthiest of days or any kind of lesson in restraint but it meant I could have Coke (only time of the year) and if I wanted it for breakfast I could, but only on Xmas morning!
    We had breakfast and then presents got opened.
    Sleep in the afternoon due to food coma.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a polish background so we celebrate on Christmas eve. Growing up all my dads family would converge on my Nan's house that afternoon and exchange gifts before sitting down to a huge polish feast. I still cook some polish food for our Christmas dinner and can now appreciate just how long my Nanna must have spent preparing it for everyone. After dinner we would go visiting the neighbours (also all polish families who grew up with my dad & his siblings). That's where us kids got spoilt rotten - about 8 or so other houses, each with sweet treats too much sugar for the kids, too much cognac for the adults!

Luckily my dh also has a polish background (although nowhere near as traditional) so he is more than happy to celebrate on Christmas eve. The kids open their presents Christmas eve and I cook a couple of polish dishes for dinner. We now spend Christmas day with the IL's

I'm starting elf on the shelf with dd this year which I'm so excited about!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    http://www.elfontheshelf.com

It's a little stuffed elf and he comes to your home on December 1st and reports to santa every night if you are being good or bad but because he's mischievous when he comes back early in the morning he gets up to mischief and when DS wakes up he runs around the house trying to find the elf - here's a couple of photos of our elfs nightly activities!!
    Attachment 74746
    Attachment 74747
    Attachment 74748

DH thinks I'm mad as for 24 nights I find something for him to do but it's so worth it seeing DS finding him in the morning! I've already started on new ideas for this year!
    This is a great idea, I think my DS would love it. Do you remember where you got your Elf from?