+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I think though the recommendation is to have red meat no more than twice a week but I know plenty of people who eat bacon for brekky , ham on their sandwiches and steak for dinner daily - it's this excess I believe they are trying to stop because it is bad for your health plus I know with my dad and brother their steaks are the size of a football!

80-100grams from memory is supposed to be a perfect size ( size of your palm) of red meat twice a week to get the health benefits , DS and DH get red meat once a week and sometimes on other nights of we go out for dinner
    Totally agree. We will definitely be cutting down on processed meats, they sneak in, in lots of things.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default The end of the sausage sizzle.....

This article is good for putting there search results into perspective:
    http://www.sciencealert.com/so-proce...u-need-to-know

The australian dietary guidelines take the association between processed meats and excess red meat with colorectal cancer risk into account, and have done for some time. The recommended upper limit for red meat is about 450g per week.

https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmr...ary_131014.pdf
    Last edited by clbj; 27-10-2015 at 19:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think the processed meat -cancer link is anything new?! Just add it to the long list of sh!te that increases your risk of cancer.

I think the media have gone way out of proportion with this one, get some air time etc. My FB feed is full of sausage photos and scare mongering articles (and sniggering comments from vegan friends).

Next week it will be something else that gives us cancer.

I haven't had red meat in almost 20 years for a variety of reasons. But I don't think a small amount of quality meat is going to hurt anyone, humans have been eating meat since the dawn of time. Just not Big Macs, hotdogs, long-life ham and all that other cr@p that pretends to be food!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Processed meat has always been known to be a risk but because WHO finally has done a study and confirmed it people will now take it more seriously

as mentioned before my BIL is a butcher and he sells so much ham, Devon and sausages which is more often for the customers kids , he gets so many people that will say things like " I'll have 2 scotch fillets for us and 6 sausages for the kids for dinner" or they will buy a heap of Devon or ham for the kids lunches for the week

Now we just have to get everyone to buy grass fed beef and get rid of the horrid feedlots full of GMO grains causing an over abundance of omega 6 which is also a health hazard .... But thats another topic!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ok so this might be a silly question but.... If I am buying nitrate free organic lamb sausages should I be worried. I never really considered this to be a processed meat. I just thought it was the fattier off cuts of lamb all minced up finely and put in a tube. I'm feeling so silly now because I put a lot of thought into most food that I feed my toddler but since I found an organic butcher that I really like I have just been buying his products without giving them much thought. Woops

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^ The report specifies all red meat as potentially carcinogenic, but in a lower category to processed meats

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Ok so this might be a silly question but.... If I am buying nitrate free organic lamb sausages should I be worried. I never really considered this to be a processed meat. I just thought it was the fattier off cuts of lamb all minced up finely and put in a tube. I'm feeling so silly now because I put a lot of thought into most food that I feed my toddler but since I found an organic butcher that I really like I have just been buying his products without giving them much thought. Woops
    I think it's better than conventional meat - but all meat should be eaten in moderation. You'll find lots of different opinions on how much = moderation. I think a good rule of thumb is to use less meat and more Veges. Ie for a stirfry use approx 300g meat and 1kg veg as apposed to 500g meat and 300g Veges (for a whole family). It also saves on grocery costs. But that's just my opinion 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will go against the grain and say that for me the research will make a change for us.

We eat way too much processed meat. Sausages mostly. Obviously I know they're not good for us, but we give in to the cheapness of them way too often. We won't be stopping eating these things all together, but I'm going to try harder to cut down.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default The end of the sausage sizzle.....

Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    I will go against the grain and say that for me the research will make a change for us.

We eat way too much processed meat. Sausages mostly. Obviously I know they're not good for us, but we give in to the cheapness of them way too often. We won't be stopping eating these things all together, but I'm going to try harder to cut down.
    Same here, I won't be eating it anymore nor will I cook it for my ds. Hubby will probably still eat it occasionally but that's up to him. I'll stick to chicken, fish and the and occasional red meat dish. I too listen to the who.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I find food these days a frustrating prospect. Everything is bad for you. Now red meat is as well. I've lost my weight doing low carb high fat and reading into it months ago there is good evidence to say carbs like bread, pasta etc are HUGE causes of the belly fat that causes heart disease. So carbs kill you. And meat. And fat. And dairy. And sugar.

It seems unless we are fully vegan we are in trouble..... and I'm sure there will be evidence soon to find there is something wrong with veges as well

funny-ice-cubes-plate-dinner.jpg

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (28-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-10-2015),snowqu33n  (28-10-2015),sunnygirl79  (28-10-2015)