+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We eat sooooooo much ham. :/ Hubby has ham and salad sandwiches for work most days and DS has a slice every 2-3 days as it's pretty much the only meat he will nibble at. Happily we don't eat sausages but bacon is basically a staple here.
    I've been meaning to try steaming and shredding chicken breast for DHs lunches so might start doing that next week. Little steps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by #Mama View Post
    We eat sooooooo much ham. :/ Hubby has ham and salad sandwiches for work most days and DS has a slice every 2-3 days as it's pretty much the only meat he will nibble at. Happily we don't eat sausages but bacon is basically a staple here.
    I've been meaning to try steaming and shredding chicken breast for DHs lunches so might start doing that next week. Little steps!
    Same - DH has been eating ham sandwiches pretty much every day for 20 years (boring I know but he loves it!). I do worry about the effects on his digestive system from all this processed meat (about 50g per day) and have been encouraging him to have tuna 1-2 days a week instead 😁 I'll have another chat to him once I read through what WHO says.
    We don't eat sausages and have bacon probably once a month so I'm not so worried about that but ham every day is not good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    These finding will make a huge difference to my family. We we only going to eat organic vegetables. Not even fruit cause that contains too much sugar. Meat causes cancer and dairy is just plain bad. In fact we are not even going to eat bread, rice or pasta because carbs are bad after all. We will also move out of the city so no more pollution. Coffee is also out, it's is a highly addictive drug!
    I will also not be friends with anyone who smokes or drinks alcohol we don't need those influences in our lives.
    Can't wait to live until I'm 120. Fun fun fun.
    Do you have any idea how much cancer you're getting just from being near an internet connection? Run. Run NOW.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default The end of the sausage sizzle.....

I actually think because this research/info is from WHO it will get people to re think their choices of processed meats - my BIL owns a butcher shop and has had a few people already asking for nitrate free ham for xmas so that's a start!

Thanks
    Reviews

It's making me look at our sausage consumption. My dad used to work at a meat processing facility and he won't let me give the girls processed meats more than once a week. It's usually sausages. I usually buy them from Coles but I might try and find some nitrate free ones. I guess the extended use by dates shows how bad it is!!

Today I made the effort to but preservative free mince from the butcher, might check out the sausages too.

I think they also said the risk is lowered if you eat it with veggies?

What about corned beef/silverside @Elijahs Mum ? Guessing that's bad too...

I probably have red meat about twice a week. Not out of health reasons, I'm just often stuck eating cereal for dinner!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    All deli meats - silverside , ham, Devon , sausages ect all have nitrates unless specified - legally the only meat butchers can add nitrates to is sausages and processed meats - I know Pete Evans was advertising a paleo sausage range which is preservative free , so maybe check them out?

Barossa fine foods do nitrate free ham, bacon and Turkey and all organic shops will have a range of nitrate free, grass fed meats as well

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just heard the guy, on ABC radio with Raph, who led the research talking. He advised everyday eaters should think about cutting down and that those that eat processed and red meat 2-3 times a week he wouldn't worry about them needing a change of diet. He himself was not changing his own diet based on his research.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apparently the research showed that red meat in consumption with a lack of vegetables/fibre is what can be a colorectal (bowel) cancer risk. Sooo... if the serve of meat on your plate is smaller than the serve of vegies on your plate, I reckon it's fine. Also Australians probably eat too much red meat in comparison to fish. I know we have a serious lack of fish in this house, it's so fiddly and expensive.
    As for the bacon/ham thing. Yep, stuff is not great. I remember needing to find gluten free ham for my daughter's allergies - it is so hard to come by. Even the best ham generally has nitrates, and even traditionally smoked, well, smoked food is not that great for you either. It's a real sometimes food. Sadly, because bacon kicks so much butt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Here's a link. He also says that it's not necessarily any agents in processed meat which cause cancer but is that the nature of meat causes chemicals as part of digestion. Interesting read...

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-1...d-meat/6889112

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think though the recommendation is to have red meat no more than twice a week but I know plenty of people who eat bacon for brekky , ham on their sandwiches and steak for dinner daily - it's this excess I believe they are trying to stop because it is bad for your health plus I know with my dad and brother their steaks are the size of a football!

80-100grams from memory is supposed to be a perfect size ( size of your palm) of red meat twice a week to get the health benefits , DS and DH get red meat once a week and sometimes on other nights if we go out for dinner

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

babyla  (27-10-2015),Frankenmum  (27-10-2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast