+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    Thanks for that. I knew Nitrates/Nitrites were bad which is why I pay through the nose for specialty products from the butcher but they are salted and smoked so maybe a no go. I wish they gave more detailed information so people can make informed choices.
    yes I tend to agree. that sentiment goes most, if not all processed foods though.

so hard to make informed choices when you don't really know the full story!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I find it hilarious... Considering everyone's turned paleo etc
    LOL!

you can buy paleo sausages in woollies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    http://nypost.com/2013/03/24/everyth...es-you-cancer/

Interesting article, particularly where it addressed cured meats and nitrates.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default The end of the sausage sizzle.....

Research has been out for years about nitrates and processed meats it's only now finally people are paying attention - I don't believe in moderation as I feel my idea of moderation ( once or twice a year) would be different to someone's else's like my SIL who gives her kids ham 2-3,times a week

I don't eat red meat so it's easy for me not to give DS sausages or processed meats - I do get nitrate free Turkey from my butcher occasionally but it's just as easy to roast your own beef or chicken or turkey if you want protein for sandwiches , DS has had maybe 2 sausages in his 5 years at other people's houses but he's not a fan

I would love all processed meats banned from schools as I do believe some kids are eating them daily and some 3 times a day ( bacon for breakfast, ham for lunch and sausages for dinner ) and apart from kids with sensory or food issues I just don't get why people regularly buy their kids processed meat? Or is it they don't know how bad it is for you ?
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 24-10-2015 at 15:20.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Lincolns mummy  (27-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (24-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    probably because it's cheap, easy/obvious and the kids don't argue with it/enjoy the taste, combined with probably not knowing any better/perceiving that there's a health risk attached to high consumption of these kinds of foods.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (24-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Everything bloody causes cancer these days!

Personally I think everything in moderation with food.

As for your DD what about sliced ham off the bone from the butcher as opposed to deli meat style ham?
    Ham off the bone can still contain nitrates and preservatives so just check before buying - if it's on the bone it legally has to be Australian which is a good start as 70% processed meats are imported

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't eat those foods often enough to worry.

I'll still eat them on occasion.

I try to enjoy foods that aren't so great in moderation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know processed meats are not good for you but I still regularly eat it as I really enjoy the taste and ease of it. Esp bacon. I love bacon.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (24-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't eat a lot of processed food either, I actually can't think of anything on my regular shopping list that is processed. But if I want the occasional ham and cheese toastie I'm going to have it. I DO eat a lot a of fresh meat though. Fish maybe twice a week and every thing else once a week. I've tried to have meat free nights but I never stay full and I snack on junk. I would love some good vegetarian recipes.
    Thanks @Rose&Aurelia&Hannah now I want a hot bacon sandwich on super thick white bread with lots of butter mmmmm
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 24-10-2015 at 16:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So is ham off the bone from a butcher the better option? How about turkey?