+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Establishing breastfeeding, second baby

I'm currently pregnant with my second child. With my first I was unable to establish breastfeeding after a few months of trying. I wasn't producing very much and she wasn't able to latch. I saw a lactation consultant and called the ABA for advice but nothing worked and eventually I decided to move onto formula and get my sanity back.

This time I would really really love to breastfeed, I had my heart set on it last time and was devastated when I had to admit it wasn't going to happen. I never gave it much thought during my first pregnancy, I just assumed it would be easy and come naturally.

This time I'm more aware of how difficult it can be so I'd like to do anything I can to increase the possibility of succeeding. Is there anything I could be doing now whilst pregnant to prepare? I'm just looking for any advice on how to establish breastfeeding no matter how silly or obvious you might think it is. TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you looked into different feeding positions, and baby led positioning? I was lucky enough to be able to bf my first, but I've just had my second and thought I'd remember how to do it but I've had to relearn all over again! My second bub was smaller than my first and hasn't been able to latch as easy as my first so I made the mistake of letting a bad latch go and then suffering the consequences of blistered and bleeding nipples. Ouch!! But bub has now gotten the idea of latching - I liken it to taking a big bite of something and for a while I squeezed my nipple so it was a bit flatter as bub latched and therefore easier to fit in his mouth. The final thing I recommend is gel breast pads!! I've been given some Rite Aid Hydrogel Breast Discs and I just love them. So soothing! Good luck and remember it's ok if you gave it a go and it didn't work out - all that matters is that bub is fed xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Spend time with other breastfeeding mums. Just watch them and chat about feeding.

Watch YouTube videos of good attachment.

Research good LC near you and have an appt before bub is born to discuss last time and make plans for seeing her when bub is born.

Antenatal expressing.

Don't buy any bottles, dummies or formula.

Good luck. Xxx

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Spend time with other breastfeeding mums. Just watch them and chat about feeding.

Watch YouTube videos of good attachment.

Research good LC near you and have an appt before bub is born to discuss last time and make plans for seeing her when bub is born.

Antenatal expressing.

Don't buy any bottles, dummies or formula.

Good luck. Xxx
    Yes! This is good advice. I think we could do so much more to create a positive BF culture and it makes such a difference to be around other people who are bf.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently breastfeeding my second. Whilst both my kids (and me) have had similar issues with tongue-ties, the way they feed etc has been totally different.

DS fed for hours at a time on both boobs, couldn't latch without a nipple shield and I had massive over supply.

DD feeds from one side only, takes max 10mins and latched well. I think my supply is ok but it's not as great as it was with DS.

My friend has also just had her second. She struggled with supply and latching with her first and FF from 4 weeks. Her second baby - completely different - easy as to breastfeed.

So basically through all that waffle, what I'm trying to say, is that each baby is different so prepare for the worse but you may find you get a pleasant surprise!

Wishing you all the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Can't help with the supply as my supply was never an issue, but my first didn't latch on and I stopped bf. When my son came along I really wanted to bf and he just latched on straight away.

hopefully the same will happen to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the advice and I'm making a list of all the things suggested to ensure I've covered all bases before and after bub is born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Get bub properly assessed for tongue and lip ties and get fixed asap. Get other half to have close to 4+wks off work to allow you to rest and recover and feed as much as possible. Use the breast first to calm/settle bub in those early. Try and relax and enjoy the breastfeeding :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Spend as much time skin to skin with bub. So if possible trying sleeping or napping with bub on you esp late afternoon and evening when its witching hour.