+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Speech delay 2.5 year old, not ASD?

My 2.5 year old has an obvious speech delay. Sh says a number of single words but no sentences. She communicates through hand gestures and understands most things but doesn't say much that's understandable.
    She has a couple of cousins close in age and the developmental difference is obvious. I've had her hearing tested and it was fine. She's also extremely shy and clingy.
    Everything I read about speech delays mentions ASD kids, is it possible she has a speech delay and it's just that?? We've got a GP appointment Monday and I'm going to request a referral for a private speech therapist (we'll get some rebate on PHI but I don't even care anymore if I have to pay for it).
    It's so hard because the other kids are getting further and further ahead of her and have lost interest in trying to play with her. Breaks my heart, although she's quite happy to sit with me. She also has one set of grand parents who also seem to have lost interest because she doesn't give them the attention and affection they get from the other kids. this kills me because they should know better than the kids!
    I just wanted to hear from parents who've dealt with speech delays that perhaps haven't lead to ASD diagnoses because I really can't find much else. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I noticed my daughters delay in speech at 18 months. She is nearly 4 and has only just started to really take off speech wise. To the point that she can tell mr what she wants and have some sort of conversation. First of allI have had her in speech therapy since 19 months, private and public. No one could really explain why she wouldn't speak as there is nothing else wrong. I have had her assessed by a private developmental Peaditrician and she confirmed she has not got ASD or any other disorder. Basically language has no real meaning to her and she has a moderate receptive and expressive language difficulties. We are just working with speech therapy people and doing a lot of activities at home. But really she seems to be just progressing in her on time. She has friends and is really well adapted in every other way. I understand your stress and anxiety completely and its hard to see ither children talking away it made me feel upset for her because I just wanted her not to struggle, but its working its self out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lilywithme For This Useful Post:

Steph12  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Steph12, I don't normally post much on here but saw your thread.

As a speech pathologist in private practice - just relax!! Lots of children have a speech and language delay and THATS IT. Speech and language is only one part of lots of other characteristics that go together with an autism spectrum disorder.

I see both children with speech and language delay and children with ASD. ASD children probably only make up 20% of my caseload.

You don't need a referral from your GP to make an appointment so just ring a speechie and book an assessment. If you have PHI you will be able to claim some of the assessment costs back.

You can use this link to find a speechie near you:
    http://www.speechpathologyaustralia....ch-pathologist
    All speech pathologists on this list are registered with Speech Pathology Australia.

The Hanen website is also a good starting point for tips www.hanen.org

Good luck! I am sure your daughter will do well with support from you and a speech pathologist

:-)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katw For This Useful Post:

DT75  (23-10-2015),Steph12  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much! @katw that's really helpful. I think anything you Google and even comments on here all seem to be parents who relate because their kids have ASD. It's obviously a possibility but I don't think she displays many ASD signs. Her shyness probably makes her seem strange to some people because they're only used to outgoing kids (ie. In DHs family), but at home she plays beautifully and is a happy smiley kid but just has issues with speech and language. I also didn't realise I didn't need a referral so will ring around. thanks!