+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Catnapping HELP!!!

DD is 15 weeks and I so far have been "going with it".

Now I'm over it, the catnapping that is.

She is mostly sleeping for 20 minutes at a time during the day for the past 2-3 weeks. Over night she is having 2 feeds.

The catnapping is driving me bonkers. I haven't followed any routine but I think something needs to change although I'm scared of trying to put anything into place before 4 months as DS hit the mother of all sleep regressions then.

Tips please or just tell me it will magically stop 😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS magically stopped at 5 months. Sorry that's prob not helpful right now but i tried everything in the book, it totally drives you bonkers.

There are plenty of things you can try with regard to routines etc, am sure others will have some tips with regard to that. They didn't work for us but like I said, he naturally stretched out his naps around 5-6 months then fell into a nice routine without me having to do much at all (with long day sleeps 2-3 hrs).

So try everything you can but if it doesn't work don't despair, you might just need to 'go with it' a little longer...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I read that before 6 months there is not much in regards to catnapping you can actually change and they start sleeping longer when they are developmentally ready.

Dd grew out of catnapping around 5 months. I found this resource helpful it explains the short nap and tips and tricks https://www.preciouslittlesleep.com/...the-short-nap/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

babyla  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    DS magically stopped at 5 months. Sorry that's prob not helpful right now but i tried everything in the book, it totally drives you bonkers.

There are plenty of things you can try with regard to routines etc, am sure others will have some tips with regard to that. They didn't work for us but like I said, he naturally stretched out his naps around 5-6 months then fell into a nice routine without me having to do much at all (with long day sleeps 2-3 hrs).

So try everything you can but if it doesn't work don't despair, you might just need to 'go with it' a little longer...
    This is super helpful right now! Thank you! It's music to my ears to hear she'll most likely outgrow it.

I have fought the sleep battle before and I honestly would just prefer to ride it out if there's s chance it'll stop on its own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I read that before 6 months there is not much in regards to catnapping you can actually change and they start sleeping longer when they are developmentally ready.

Dd grew out of catnapping around 5 months. I found this resource helpful it explains the short nap and tips and tricks https://www.preciouslittlesleep.com/...the-short-nap/
    Awesome! Thank you!

Feel like I can just ride with it without feeling like I need to "fix it".

Thanks ladies!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my kids (older two) magically stopped catnapping when they hit the 6mth mark and went to two solid naps a day.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

babyla  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there I have a 16 week old and I've been there. I went to a day program about sleeping and settling and also hired a sleep consultant. My little one has reflux so she was very miserable from that and not sleeping was making it all worse. She's a much happier baby when she sleeps. And so am I. With perseverance and consistency her naps are now at least one full sleep cycle (so 35-45 minutes), and at least half the time I can then re-settle her back to sleep for an additional hour. Sometimes she will do a nap up to 3hrs by herself (no waking) during the day. Here's what works for us:
    - all sleeps are in her cot with the blinds closed so it's nice and dark.
    - I use white noise (rainfall sounds) up loud during the whole nap. It's a calming sleep association for her now and as she's a light sleeper helps block out other noises. I use an app on an old iPhone so it's always portable.
    - I wrap her. Starting to try one arm out to transition to arms out for sleeping.
    - she is generally awake for only 1.5hrs before having a nap, less if she hasn't slept much that day. Tired cues are yawning, sucking hand and eventually a weird grizzly shouty cry.
    - I have a sleep routine so she knows what's coming. We go in the room close blind. Wrap. Turn light out. Pick up quick cuddle kiss on her forehead and say sleepy time now and put her in cot.
    - sleep consultant recommends shush-pat method. Didn't work on our girl as it amped her up. She's better with hands off so we put wheels on her cot and if she's a bit unsettled gently push cot back and forth. If she wakes after 1 sleep cycle I go in and push the cot for up to 10 minutes or so and can often get her back to sleep. Without the wheels/pushing there is no way she will resettle back to sleep if she wakes.
    - try not to do snack feeding which encourages catnapping.

We now get 4-5 hours sleep in total across 3-4 naps in the day. We don't really follow a routine she gets up around 7:45am most days and I have her in bed 6:30-7:30pm. She's ebf and just starting to do 6-8hr sleep stretches overnight.
    You may have tried all this already but may be something here to help. Fingers crossed you can get some longer sleeps in!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babyla  (23-10-2015),wobbleyhorse  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Hi there I have a 16 week old and I've been there. I went to a day program about sleeping and settling and also hired a sleep consultant. My little one has reflux so she was very miserable from that and not sleeping was making it all worse. She's a much happier baby when she sleeps. And so am I. With perseverance and consistency her naps are now at least one full sleep cycle (so 35-45 minutes), and at least half the time I can then re-settle her back to sleep for an additional hour. Sometimes she will do a nap up to 3hrs by herself (no waking) during the day. Here's what works for us:
    - all sleeps are in her cot with the blinds closed so it's nice and dark.
    - I use white noise (rainfall sounds) up loud during the whole nap. It's a calming sleep association for her now and as she's a light sleeper helps block out other noises. I use an app on an old iPhone so it's always portable.
    - I wrap her. Starting to try one arm out to transition to arms out for sleeping.
    - she is generally awake for only 1.5hrs before having a nap, less if she hasn't slept much that day. Tired cues are yawning, sucking hand and eventually a weird grizzly shouty cry.
    - I have a sleep routine so she knows what's coming. We go in the room close blind. Wrap. Turn light out. Pick up quick cuddle kiss on her forehead and say sleepy time now and put her in cot.
    - sleep consultant recommends shush-pat method. Didn't work on our girl as it amped her up. She's better with hands off so we put wheels on her cot and if she's a bit unsettled gently push cot back and forth. If she wakes after 1 sleep cycle I go in and push the cot for up to 10 minutes or so and can often get her back to sleep. Without the wheels/pushing there is no way she will resettle back to sleep if she wakes.
    - try not to do snack feeding which encourages catnapping.

We now get 4-5 hours sleep in total across 3-4 naps in the day. We don't really follow a routine she gets up around 7:45am most days and I have her in bed 6:30-7:30pm. She's ebf and just starting to do 6-8hr sleep stretches overnight.
    You may have tried all this already but may be something here to help. Fingers crossed you can get some longer sleeps in!
    That's awesome that things are going so well. We've hit 4 month sleep regression so at night he's up every 1-2 hours and can't resettle so most of the time I feed him to get him back to sleep which means we're back to 5-6 feeds a night! Nightmare but if he doesn't go back to sleep quickly he gets completely hysterical and I can't call him down!
    For day sleeps as the others have said I think if you can try to have a ritual for sleep. I can only do it when my toddler is napping so for that sleep I swaddle him, put him in cot and usually will pick up and down until pretty much asleep before putting him in the cot as I'd rather deal with self settling later and make sure he has a decent sleep. I normally get 1-1.5 hours for that nap but the rest of the day is short 30 mins naps. Normally due to our routine as I'm out with the toddler and the baby will fall asleep in the carrier but I can't transfer him so he then wakes up when I've got to take him out.
    Don't stress though as it sounds like he's still sleeping ok at night despite short day naps. Hopefully he will improve with time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    That's awesome that things are going so well. We've hit 4 month sleep regression so at night he's up every 1-2 hours and can't resettle so most of the time I feed him to get him back to sleep which means we're back to 5-6 feeds a night! Nightmare but if he doesn't go back to sleep quickly he gets completely hysterical and I can't call him down!
    For day sleeps as the others have said I think if you can try to have a ritual for sleep. I can only do it when my toddler is napping so for that sleep I swaddle him, put him in cot and usually will pick up and down until pretty much asleep before putting him in the cot as I'd rather deal with self settling later and make sure he has a decent sleep. I normally get 1-1.5 hours for that nap but the rest of the day is short 30 mins naps. Normally due to our routine as I'm out with the toddler and the baby will fall asleep in the carrier but I can't transfer him so he then wakes up when I've got to take him out.
    Don't stress though as it sounds like he's still sleeping ok at night despite short day naps. Hopefully he will improve with time.
    I have heard about the 4 month regression. She is 12 weeks adjusted age. I am hoping I escape that pain please please please! I hope you get to the other side soon, 5-6 wake ups sounds terrible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the main problem was I'm trying to transition out of the swaddle as he can roll over now but I was a bit naive thinking that after a couple of nights of him having his arms free he would be fine so moved him into a sleeping bag. But then I just couldn't get him to sleep for about an hour as he would be kicking and throwing his arms around, then he was waking a couple of times before we went to bed when he should be in his best deep sleep. So now I swaddle him to go to sleep then at first feed at about 10 I change him into a sleeping bag. But hit and miss, we've had some good nights but others where he's obliviously waking himself up with his arms and legs but I'm trying to see it through!