+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Double embryo transfer

Hi guys,
    after some advice /experiences etc ...
    i have had 4 cycles so far, with 2 bfns,1 mmc and 1 chem preg.
    I thought I still had 4 left on ice, but turns out only 3.
    one is a 5 cell grade 2, and two 8 cell grade 2s.
    we had a discussion with our doc today, and the decision we came to is to defrost the 5 cell and an 8 cell. If the 5 cell survives the thaw, implant both. If it doesn't survive, thaw the 2nd 8 cell and again do a double transfer.
    the doc mentioned that transferring 2 doesn't increase the odds of getting pregnant in that they don't help each other out etc. but I am just wanting a bit of input from people that have transferred 2.

i am also getting some new blood panels done to see my hormone levels, as I am peri menopausal so we want to see if there is any chance we could cycle again and get any more eggs.

Otherwise will be looking for donor eggs, either known donor or international I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I posted with pretty much the same thing a month or so ago when I joined BH. I was trying to work out if we should do 2 embryos. Doc & FP were against it, same reason as you - that it doesn't increase odds, and obviously the risk of miscarriage, still birth, multiple babies, etc. Most people said they wouldn't do it or didn't think the risk was worth it. But I'm getting older, with no children as yet, and worried I was heading menopausal.

We signed the 'against medical advice' form and transferred the two, unfortunately I got a strong negative result today. Now in my mind I'm wondering if I've essentially wasted one embryo that might have had a better chance if transferred on its own, then the other side of my brain says neither worked so they were destined not to make it, I've just got the two failures out of the way in one cycle.

Ultimately it comes down to what you think you can deal with. If you're prepared and accepting of the fact that you might end up with multiple bubs, and you think you can emotionally handle the risks, then do it. It's a hard one but we found it came down to our gut decision, and we were both content with our decision.

Good luck with the decision, and I hope you can have success with your eggs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeanie For This Useful Post:

woof5105  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Always a very tough decision. We transferred 2 on our first cycle. One split and we now have identical twins. The other began but didn't progress so we were actually close to triplets. Multiples are a very real possibility. It has been a huge blessing with healthy bubs and a healthy pregnancy for us but the risks are definitely there and if you have time I'd suggest that one is better and safer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

woof5105  (23-10-2015)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I understand why you're considering it. The desperation to get pregnant is just so overwhelming.

We planned to do a double transfer but fate had other plans for us and only one of DPs embryos successfully thawed.

I have two left in the freezer and if my current FET doesn't work out I think I would be tempted to do a double next cycle.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

woof5105  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can understand why you would want to do the double. I had a few cycles with double transfers and all bfn.
    Your dr is right and most fs opt for the single transfer now. Sometimes one embryo can compromise the other one attaching.
    I am not allowed to do a double transfer once I lost my baby at 17 weeks to an incompetent cervix. The risk is too high and at first I struggled with that decision but my next single transfer resulted in my healthy DS.
    Good luck with your decision and next transfer.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riss78 For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (23-10-2015),woof5105  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I transferred 2 against my fs advice. After a mmc, 2 failed iuis. A failed ivf and failed fet. And being my onlyvlast chance for a long time financially.
    They where 2 x top quality, well adavanced embryos.
    Well it worked. Im pregnant. Not sure with how many yet.
    2 weeks till my scan.
    I say do it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sarah1982 For This Useful Post:

woof5105  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. it is a tough decision. i am happy that my fs is very supportive and i cant remember which of us actually suggested the double transfer, but we are doing it for a few reasons.
    it is a shame that there arent more stats on it all but i guess it comes down to what we are comfortable with and the best option for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I transferred 2 and had a healthy baby boy. The other embryo was an empty sac. I believe that sometimes one becomes sacrificial, as it's not uncommon.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ManchesterLass For This Useful Post:

woof5105  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ManchesterLass View Post
    I transferred 2 and had a healthy baby boy. The other embryo was an empty sac. I believe that sometimes one becomes sacrificial, as it's not uncommon.
    I had DET and got one. There is currently studies being conducted overseas in regards to sacrificial embies. I don't believe that the idea is being widely accepted.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

woof5105  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck!
    We transferred 2 last round and currently 36 weeks pregnant!
    (Only 1 baby the other one didn't take)

Prior to that I've had 6 failed cycles including 2 m/c. I just didn't want to do 1 at a time anymore and took the plunge with a double transfer.

You just have to do what you feel is right for yourself

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cevapa For This Useful Post:

ManchesterLass  (23-10-2015),woof5105  (25-10-2015)