+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A failed example tonight. I only BF him. He was demanding more but I refused to give top up. I put him on my breast and he just didn't get anymore. We tried to distract him by giving his bath which he normally loves. Because of the hungriness, he had the biggest cry ever. It took a while to even calm him down. I don't like to starve my baby. He is normally a happy baby.....is it worth it to starve him?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lots of good advice here, but I just wanted to touch on the mention of bub screaming after feeding.

Is it possible bub is screaming because of wind pain? The reason I ask is my bub has wind issues and the hunger and wind pain signals are almost identical. Often babies will want to feed more when they have wind as the sucking calms them and by pushing more food into their belly it helps move the wind along their digestive tract, but it perpetuates the cycle.

I have fast letdown so my bubs wind issues weren't helped by that, and perhaps the fast flow teat on the bottle may be contributing too?

I could be way off the mark but I just thought it could be another angle for you to explore.

I also use the knuckle trick to test if baby is hungry or not. I put my knuckle into bubs mouth and if they suck madly, they want feeding. If not, their signs generally indicated wind in our case.

Once I figured this out, my stress relating to wondering if baby is hungry reduced so much, and we're now almost 5 months in and going strong.

If you decide BF isn't for you, then that's not necessarily a bad thing, mums mental health is just as important as bubs being fed and sated.

Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, he has wind problem. That's due to the fast flow teat. I am using avent newborn "1" teat. It supposes to be slow. Anyway, we can tell when his stomach is upset. He doesn't scream because of it. He rarely screams but like tonight he clearly was hungry when I refused to feed any top up. Yes, I do the knuckle trick.

He was doing ok with BF alone in the last two nights. I thought all good But then became a starving baby in the morning demanding 120ml. I really have no clue what I am doing wrong. I will give it another try again with BF alone tonight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    A failed example tonight. I only BF him. He was demanding more but I refused to give top up. I put him on my breast and he just didn't get anymore. We tried to distract him by giving his bath which he normally loves. Because of the hungriness, he had the biggest cry ever. It took a while to even calm him down. I don't like to starve my baby. He is normally a happy baby.....is it worth it to starve him?
    I don't see cluster feeding as starving your baby. Its pretty much the only way your baby can tell you how milk he/she wants.

My 3wk old cluster fed yesterday. Drove me bonkers from 3pm-9pm. She pretty much just screamed unless fed and I have heaps of milk. I just woke to overflowing boobs and she drained both in 10min so there was a point to the cluster feeds last night. She has gone back to sleep and I can guarantee that by the time she wakes I will be full again.

Please don't called your night a failure. Cluster feeding is not a sign your body is failing you. It's a sign your body is trying hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post

He was doing ok with BF alone in the last two nights. I thought all good But then became a starving baby in the morning demanding 120ml. I really have no clue what I am doing wrong. I will give it another try again with BF alone tonight.
    That even happens to me. Baby is happen 1-3 days. Then cluster feeds like a nutter... Then happy again... Then more cluster feeding. This is normal till 6-8wks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love cluster feeding (& feeding in general) I love having my baby getting my body to make enough milk. Yes its tiring and can be stressful (esp as I have 2 older children & hubby works long hours) but the initial efforts become rewards :-)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

MonkeyMumma  (29-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-10-2015)